What are the best pain meds ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Michelle_NZ, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Hi folks

I was wondering if some of you could advise on the best pain meds to use?

I have awful headaches every day that start around lunch time. By dinner time by head feels like its going to explode. I have this intense pain and pressure in my head and my face, more on the left side.

Also, what are the best meds for muscle pain?

I'm getting desperate. My doctor has me on Panadeine (not sure what you call that in the USA or UK) and its doing NOTHING.

Thanks in advance
    Take care
    Michelle
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

and I believe that targets migraines.Linda
  3. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jody - I see you are from NZ - where are you?

Thanks
    Michelle
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

That would be a shotgun :)
    I'm kidding!! (kinda)

Oh,..I get those horrible headaches!! sometimes for 5 days in a row. My dr. gives me Fiorecet. They help me alot.
    For muscle pain I hear Norco is good.
    But it is a narcotic so its hard to get.

wishing you luck and painfree days~
    Tandy

5. JLH

JLH New Member

For my fibro, it's Neurotin, Cymbalta, and Zanaflex.

It sounds like you need to be on something preventive, like a Beta Blocker, and maybe an anti-anxiety med.

If they start about lunch time, is it because you have not had any breakfast? Maybe something with your sugar levels???

Have you discussed with your doc? Had any tests? Maybe you should be thoroughly evaluated. I can't remember what left-sided headaches mean.

Janet
  6. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

One doc had me on a beta blocker (Atenolol or Tenormin 25mg 1 per day) for migraines. Imatrex is also good, but I had to catch them at the beginning or it wasn't much help where the other was. Not sure if that's what you're having or if it a sinus type pain. Either way, I've had good luck with a couple benadryl, 800 mg of ibuprofen and a hot cup of coffee (warmth and caffeine). That's a little cheaper than fiorinal, which also worked for a while and is basically the same thing, I think. You can get those without a prescription though (benadryl and ibu, sorry I'm a little scattered tonight). I personally take flexeril for muscle pain, but find that lately I'm having to supplement that with xanax, so I may be on a new search for one myself after monday's dr appointment. I'll come back and post if she switches me and let you know what it is if I can remember it till then.
  7. Mindymce

Mindymce New Member

Dear Michelle,

My Doctor started me on Migquin. The generic name is: Midrin. You take one tab 3 times a day. another good remedy for me is Excedrin Migraine. Believe it or not it really works .....at least for me!!

Good luck!