What are the dangers of aspartame

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shazzy, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hi all,

I remember months back there was a talk about aspartame and to try to avoid it. I not sure why now, can anyone explain why. I noticed the other day my anti-depressant has it in it.

Shazzy
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

People have been known to have seizures after prolonged drinking of diet drinks made with aspertame. We are especially to excitotoxins like this because of our malfunctioning neurons.

Love, Mikie
  3. TerriM

TerriM New Member

just as mikie says the neurotoxicity is a problem as well as the other issues. Dr. Jacob Teitlebaum talks in his book From Fatigued to Fantastic about Aspartame and how it also has some relationship to MSG (another thing that can cause neurotoxicity). I,ve also read articles that talk about Gulf War Syndrome and how drinking tons of diet sodas with aspartame is believed to have made the syndrome worse. Terri
  4. healing

healing New Member

and that is insulin resistance. Aspartame is known to raise insulin levels.
  5. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Thank you to everyone who wrote about this.
    Now i am worried, i am on the highest dose of anti-depressant, Remeron/Mirtazapine and since being on this drug i am always having anxiety, panic attacks, extreme dizziness and blurred vision.
    WHAT DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO?

Shazzy
  6. WorldFalls

WorldFalls New Member

I don't know about other people, but my experience with aspartame was not related at all to the articles that have been posted here about the dangers of aspartame. I figured out all by myself that the stuff was poisoning my body. I'm probably among the most skeptical people around. You're not gonna sell me swamp land in Florida. Being a science major, I bow down to scientific method of investigation. I take very little seriously unless I have my proof. There is no doubt in my mind at ALL that aspartame is dangerous for me. Whether it is toxic to other people, I'm sure I can't say. All I can determime with certainty is how it affected me. And what it did to me was scary. And the many problems I suffered while using aspartame have been all but gone since I stopped using it. I know how scientific assesment of things works, and I know that until there are adequate studies out there to document the problems people have with aspartame, those problems will remain an "urban legend" simply because it's never been scientifically determined to be fact. BUT that certainly doesn't mean it is NOT fact. Just that science hasn't yet tackled it.
  7. pamela

pamela New Member

To me I think the safest way to go is ALL Natural!!! Totally..that way you are sure to be safe. My dad ate alot of diet stuff and artificial sweetner stuff and he died at 61 from colon cancer. He did not smoke or drink. He tried to be as healthy as possible. Or at least he thought he was being healthy. Just a thought...Pamela
  8. talldi

talldi New Member

I am diabetic as well as suffering from FMS and MFP.
    I now use Splenda for all sweetening needs and baking.
    It IS sugar and not a chemical substitute. Please use this and stay away from aspartame. Would you drink embalming fluid? Formaldehyde is embalming fluid.

di