What are the symptoms of HHV6 A?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by redhummingbird, Nov 3, 2008.

1. redhummingbird

redhummingbird New Member

Does anyone know?

I'm trying to put together a list of symptoms for this EBV, CMV, Parvo Virus B19, and Borna Virus etc...(I have a list of EBV)

When I have a complete list I'll post it for anyone interested.

2. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i dont think they know much about HHV6 A yet but some believe that it can cause CFS, encephalitis, epilepsy, MS, and other neurological conditions.

perhaps you can find more info on the HHV6 foundation website.

good luck
    [This Message was Edited on 11/04/2008]
  3. mindblower

mindblower New Member

There remains no documented disease or symptoms from exposure to HHV6 A. It's a theorectical area of research, no one knows.

It's also important to distinguish evidence of previous exposure(often observed by titers) to any virus or bacteria vs presence(tests show it's presently in your body) vs active infection(it's creating disease or symptoms). People often drive themselves batty with the idea that they've been exposed to something or it being present in there body, but unless it tested as active or at exceptionally high levels in your system, it may have nothing to do with your health problems.

4. cfsgeorge

cfsgeorge New Member

According to Dr Kenny D. M, HHV6 infection present with intense fatigue with no pain.
  5. emmally

emmally New Member

My symptoms are very similar to the common symptoms for CFS and I have no pain at all. I have headaches but I had those before I got sick. The worst symptom of all is fatigue. I would deal with all of the other symptoms (tender lympnodes, svt, lightheadedness, memory and concentration problems, anxiety...) if I could have energy......
  6. mindblower

mindblower New Member

"According to Dr Kenny D. M, HHV6 infection present with intense fatigue with no pain."

No, he didn't say this. He actually doesn't think any herpes viruses are key to ME/CFS, including HHV-6. He thinks they can be a secondary issue, become reactivated in some with this condition, but not any are causing it.

7. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

demeirleir, last i read, believed that a small percentage of people with mainly neurocognitive issues and no pain had HHV6 A encephalitis.

8. emmally

emmally New Member

Does anyone else only have hhv6? At this time, I have been diagnosed and being treated for hhv6 only by the worlds leading expert (I believe). I never read much of anyone just having hhv6 and no other viruses. Anyone else out there with only hhv6 and everything else under the sun coming back normal?????
  9. mindblower

mindblower New Member

What was your diagnosis and who diagnosed you, this expert you refer to? There is no hhv6-a disease ever proven or that is a testable active infection, but there is ME/CFS, is this what you mean and that you have evidence for previous exposure to this virus like I and some others have found through testing?

10. emmally

emmally New Member

I have been diagnosed with persistant active hhv6 only by Dr Lerner. I was origninally diagnosed 2 years ago by my primary doctor with chronic smoldering ebv but later learned that it was never ebv and has always been the hhv6. The tests that my primary doctor was using was not sensitive enough to tell the difference. It is hard for me to accept that I might have CFS so I only like to say that I have the virus..
  11. mindblower

mindblower New Member

"...It is hard for me to accept that I might have CFS so I only like to say that I have the virus..."

Got it. I know I and many with ME/CFS have been in this place before.

Saying we have Lyme Disease is another popular thing to do. FWIW, I've tested positive for exposure to both Lyme and HHV6-A.

But I've gotten clear that neither is a viable diagnosis for causing my ME/CFS symptoms and the tests for both remain non-diagnostic no matter what any said expert says.

12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Often turn up with several viral and/or bacterial infections which can be in a chronic, stealth form. Symptoms can be those of any infection but often include swollen lymph nodes, headaches, fatigue, body aches and pains, and feeling chilled or hot. Ordinary tests often show negative results because the pathogens operate beneath the immune system's radar.

Lyme, mycoplasmas, and the Herpes Family of viruses can lie latent in the body and reactivate when one is injured, gets sick, or becomes run down. PCR DNA test will often turn up the pathogens but these tests are also prone to false neg. results.

My doc and I treated empirically with Doxycycline (it was a mycoplasma infection back in 1990 which triggered my illnesses full blown). On the third day on the Doxy, I had one hellova Herx reaction. It took 2 1/2 years to get the mycoplasma infection under control.

I had to take Famvir as a preventive measure for facial surgery. I went into a total, but temporary, remission. So, my doc started me on the Famvir long term. Like with the Doxy, I eventually pulsed off and on the medication until we got the infection under control.

The final treatment was Heparin injections and transfer factors. The Heparin was to break up excess fibrin in the blood from years of stealth infections. The transfer factors was to train my immune system to kill viruses in the bloodstream. A very low SED rate can be indicitive of, but not proof of, excess fibrin. Pathogens will hide from the immune system in the clumps of fibrin and platelets in the bloodstream. When these clumps dissolve, the pathogens are released in mass. This treatment can cause a huge immune response and Herx or Herx-like reactions.

Hope this helps. From my own experience, it isn't necessary to identify the pathogen but if one can afford the expensive tests, it is helpful. If not, treating empirically is the next best thing. The results of treating empirically are almost immediately visible, so one knows when one is on the right track.

Love, Mikie