WHAT ARE VULVADYNIA SYMTOMS??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kimkane, Jul 11, 2003.

1. kimkane

kimkane New Member

AFTER READING THE MESSAGE BRD, AND EVERYONES REPLYS I WAS WONDERING WHAT ARE THE SYMTOMS OF VULVADYNIA?
    I HAD A UTI ABOUT 3-4 MONTHS AGO.

THANK YOU ALL KIM KANE
  2. kgg

kgg New Member

Vulvodynia/Vulvar Vestibulitis

Help and Hope

What is Vulvodynia?

The National Vulvodynia Association website states “The International Society for the Study of Vulvovaginal Disease (ISSVD) defines Vulvodynia as chronic vulvar discomfort or pain, characterized by burning, stinging, irritation or rawness of the female genitalia in cases in which there is no infection or skin disease of the vulva or vagina causing these symptoms. Burning sensations are the most common, but the type and severity of symptoms are highly individualized. Pain may be constant or intermittent, localized or diffuse.”

How Prevalent Is it?

“A recent study conducted by Bernard L. Harlow, Ph.D., of the Obstetrics and Gynecology Epidemiology Center at Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, in Massachusetts suggests that almost 20% of American women have suffered from chronic vulvovaginal pain at some point in their lives. A staggering 40 percent of these women never sought treatment for the condition. Of the women who did seek treatment, the condition remained undiagnosed in nearly 40 percent.”

National Vulvodynia Association website, October 16, 2001

If you do a google search on "vulvadynia" and click on the third listing there is more info on it. Hope this helps. -Karen
  3. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I have only been married to my wonderful loving hubby since Dec 1, 2001. I got fibro on May 19, 2002. We were able to have a normal intimate life for about the first 3 mo or so with this dd but as time went on it became less & less as I have the same pain, best to not irritate anything, I was suffering thru it for a while just because my hubby was 38 when I met him and he has NEVER had a sex life until he & I fell in love. He was saving himself for love & marriage and I figured a MAN with that degree of integrity and values really deserves a loving and fulfilling relationship so I did the best I could but he could really tell it was getting harder & harder for me. We hardly ever make love now, mabye one every other mo, he is so understanding and never has once made any nasty comment about it or made me feel as I was depriving him, we love each other and as much as I would love to have that be a very special part of our relationship we both know that we have so much more than that. It is nice but it is not more important than my health and comfort. Once in a while we are pleasantly surprised by my feeling as if it is "welcomed" and those times are when I can truly enjoy it, makes it very wonderful when that does happen. Not to be too graphic here but I do find that I am more receptive to it when I have seen a really nice passionate love scene in a movie, tends to get to me and somehow our hormones can overcome the other it seems like to me. Amazing sometimes what the human body can do for itself, if the desire is strong enough on my part then I feel no pain.

Have faith in yourself and do know that there are men out there who will understand and love you in spite of it.

Jaci