What Are We Doing To Improve Our Health/Illness?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BlueSky555, Oct 18, 2006.

1. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hello Everyone,

I haven't posted much lately but have been reading more than anything. There is SO much information on this site and SO many nice people here and also many new people here. I have responded some, but wish I could respond to everyone.

Anyway, I thought I would ask how many of us are trying to do things to improve our health, on a daily basis? I'm sure this has been a prior topic but maybe for any of the new people?

The reason I ask is because for a long time, I only did what the Drs. told me, not even thinking about what I could do for myself.

So, recently, I began doing some things differently like trying to take short walks, drinking more and more water everyday. I'm trying to get more sleep but that's another story; no success there yet and boy, do I need more.

Anyway, thought some of you may want to respond and maybe we can share stories of things we are able to do to improve mostly, how we feel daily.

Due to the rules, maybe we should avoid discussing any kinds of medications.

Anyone interested? I would like to hear what you're doing for improvement.

Thank you,

BlueSky555
  2. huska

huska New Member

Hi, I'm new here. I think you are right. I don't just do what the Drs tell me, because they don't tell me anything ! i started for short walks too and when the weather is good that is great. I'm just terrible drinking water but I know I should do that. Today is not a good day for me, so maybe that's why I'm posting and replying to some adds...
    I don't know if you live near the sea but going to the beach and just keep your mind in the sound of the waves it's great. I can do it because I live in Portugal 7 minutes from the beach. Or if you are in the country or have the chance to go to a park or garden, just keep you mind on the silmple things ........I guess.

Hugs
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

I have been fortunate to have moved to a beautiful place, and have been able to re-create my work life and schedule.

I am now working two very part time jobs, one with a very flexible schedule. I actually have days off during the week, and two days when I work a short, 3 hour shift in the evening, so I can sleep until I wake up naturally, and don't have to rush out the door every morning.

This has made a huge difference in my life, although after we move to our new home next week life will be a bit less chaotic than it has been recently.

Chaos is just not good for me at all.

Sometimes I feel a little selfish for being able to to this. Guess that adjusting my life to my needs is just guilt making. I try not to think about that, though!

Once my schedule settles down I plan to go back to yoga classes, and once we move, I will have enough physical space to do some yoga and stretching every day. A very delightful prospect!

Peace,
    Beth.
  4. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses.

Prickles, that was really cute about the hat; why don't you just get one with "Non-Smoker" on the front? I know how you feel; I don't like the smoke smell and since my illness, my nose is much more sensitive to any kind of odors.

Huska, welcome to the board. The sea would be a wonderful place to go but unfortunately, I'm a little too far just to take a drive there. Oh, but that would really be wonderful; I do like ocean walks and looking for pretty sea shells.

Alex22, as for the Drs., I used to think they were "medical brains" but then realized that they only go by the book and give meds. I think they see too many patients to really spend the much needed time with each individual. I think focusing on your top 3 symptoms sounds like something to think about; thank you.

BethM, I'm so happy for you that you are able to work 2 jobs, with flexible hours and late shift. You are most fortunate to be able to work and I commend you. Congratulations on your new home and take care when moving.

Another thanks to everyone for the responses,

BlueSky555

5. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

Hi Everyone,

I was diagnosed with FMS in February 2004. This past March I joined an exercise group at my church and we work out 4 times a week - twice a week on free weights, and twice a week on cardio. I don't always make all the classes, but I go as often as my body permits. I can truly say that has helped a great deal. I still have bad days, but it seems they are not as severe. I also still deal with the mental fog and depression, but again, not as severe. I also try to eat healthier and that also helps. I've lost 10 pounds, which I really didn't need to do, but it's okay. I'm sure that has helped my back condition as well. So these little things really do help. They might not be a cure, but they do help.