What are you reading lately? Please post thumbnail review.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Dec 5, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Marta, Iowa, Shannon, and I thought it would be a good idea for everyone to post personal, thumbnail reviews, positive or negative, of books we are all reading (Not just Book Club Members).
    Many people are finding others' suggestions on books very helpful. Please post on whatever you're reading--even if it's just the TV Guide!

What are you reading--or have finished reading?
    What kind of book is it (fiction, nonfiction, biography, etc.)?
    Would your recommend your book to others?

Please keep your review fairly short so it's easy to read.

I'm reading John Grisham's SKIPPING CHRISTMAS and Richard Peck's A YEAR DOWN YONDER (a Newberry Award winner), but I'm not far enough into either to post reviews yet. Also just got Michael Crichton's latest, NEXT, from the library.

The Book Club threads on Marilynne Robinson's HOUSEKEEPING and Charles Dickens’s A CHRISTMAS CAROL will be up right after Christmas, for anyone who wants to join us.

[This Message was Edited on 12/05/2006]
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Splendid. That word seems to go with your screen name, as in Sherlock Holmes.

I picked up and put down again The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodwin. I'd read another book of hers and liked it. Can't say that about this one so far.

Hopefully others will give me some good ideas.

3. larryh

larryh New Member

I am reading "Rise and SHine" by Ann Quindlen today. Not a typical guy book, but interesting. It is about a woman who's sister is the anchor on the most popular morning news show and what happens to her when her sister's life falls apart. It starts when her sister says what she thinks in an open mike on national TV when she thinks they have already gone to comercial.

4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

a Maeve Binchy book. It is the Glass Lake. If you like Maeve you're in luck, because she is a prolific writer.

This one is longer than most: over 750 pages in paperback.

I have read several of her books. They are all set in Ireland and are women's books, i.e., they are about relationships, not action. The time span is usually many years, even decades.

I like to read them now and then as a change from all the thrillers I read.

I am also reading the score to AIDA while listening to a recording of it made over half a century ago. The soprano is one of my favorites. Only found out about the recording last month.

This teaches us that life still has a few surprises now and then. As we all know, however, they are not always pleasant. Haha.
  5. Callum

Callum New Member

...The new Stephen King book "Lisey's Story", his take on a fairly ordinary marriage and maintaining one's sanity in insane circumstances. At times gory, at times touching.
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Falling Off Air by Catherine Sampson: A mystery about a woman who witnesses a suicide. INterestingly, a character in the book has CFS. Set in England. OK, nothing to shout home about but I waded through it.(listened to this book)

THere will never be another you Carolyn See
    Not bad, a drama about the fragility of life and possible terrorists attacks, bit farfetched.Set in UCLA.

Cage of Stars Jaqueline Mitchard Latest Mitchard book about a Mormon girl who kills the murderer of her two little sisters, many years after the event.(says this up front) I keep picking it up and then casting it aside. Learned a few interesting things, ie more LDS (mormons) in Florida than in Utah. Not sure if I will finish this book as it is not getting my attention.

Before you know Kindness Chris Bohjalian listening to this book and it seems interesting. This author's books are always about controversial issues and this one is about a shooting accident. It seems OK.

Just read a Janet Davy book that I really enjoyed about a woman left alone with three kids. Cannot recall the title, but it was a short and good read. Set in UK.

Just started Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter by Blaize Clement this is a first novel about a cat sitter called Dixie Hemingway and so far it has been bouncy and readable. A bit like Braun's Qwilleran books but a little more detailed and foxier. Set in Florida. I am so far enjoying it.

Judith GUest Errands.....by the author of Ordinary People, this is a well written drama about a husband and father who is dying of a brain tumor. Readable and moving.

I read a lot, so that is the last three weeks or so. I did start Anne Tyler's new book, Digging to America, but was not into it at all as it was just not grabbing me at all. Her earlier books wewre far better.

I also read Stephen King's, CELL - macabre but readable and interesting enough.

I am interested in starting Lisey's song. And you know I already listened to Housekeeping, which was wonderful.

See what I do with my life???

In fact, I need to go to the library tomorrow it seems.

Annie C

7. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Does FHM count.It's a great read and has big and beautiful colourful pages in it.LOL,
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

You're reading it just for the articles, right?

9. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Aye Ken,just read it for the factual content,don't bother with the pictures!!!
    We get a British version.
  10. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

(Actually what I have just read!)

“THR3E” by Ted Dekker
    Dekker delivers another page-turner with this psychological Christian thriller about Kevin Parson, a 28-year-old seminary student who suddenly becomes the target of an evil nemesis called Slater. Obsessed both with Kevin's downfall and the number 3, Slater initiates a game in which Kevin must answer riddles to avoid Slater's destructive, potentially murderous retribution...

“Death Match” by Lincoln Child
    Everyone’s looking for the perfect match, a life-long partner, and Lewis and Lindsay Thorpe have found theirs, thanks to hi-tech matchmaker Eden Inc. But when the happy couple’s life together ends in what looks like a double suicide, Eden Inc. has some explaining to do. So they hire forensic psychologist Christopher Lash to figure out what went wrong. And then another perfect match ends in death...

“Sharp Objects” by Gillian Flynn
    Flynn gives new meaning to the term dysfunctional family in her chilling debut thriller. Camille Preaker, once institutionalized for psychological issues, now works for a third-rung Chicago newspaper. When a young girl is murdered and mutilated and another disappears in Camille's hometown, her editor, eager for a scoop, sends her there for a human-interest story. Interviewing old acquaintances and newcomers, she relives her disturbed childhood, gradually uncovering gruesome family secrets...

“From Black Rooms” by Stephen Woodworth (4th in his Violet Eyes series)
    Natalie Lindstrom has finally left the underworld behind for a new career in the art world. But there’s one world she can’t escape: the Other world of the dead. As a former Violet, an elite crime-fighter with the power to channel murder victims, Natalie is now using her paranormal gift to summon the spirits of legendary painters. But she’s about to discover how far some people will go to keep their hold on her–and others like her...

Happy reading!
  11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I read and enjoyed Death Match a while back. I like the collaborations between Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child too, especially Thunderhead.

Did you like all four of the books you mentioned equally?
  12. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

I love the Preston/Child books, my favorites being “The Cabinet of Curiosities” and the Pendergast trilogy. “Death Match” is the first book written by Lincoln Child alone that I have read. I enjoyed it, but not as much as I do their collaborations!

I read “Skipping Christmas” last year and enjoyed it. I have been looking at Crichton’s “Next”, so I would be interested in hearing what you think about it when you are finished! I am going to pick up “Housekeeping” during my next trip to the bookstore (a weekly event at minimum, lol).

Of the four books I mention in my previous post, I liked Ted Dekker’s “THR3E” the most. I had never read anything by him before, but I found it on a table of mark downs and it caught my interest. I will definitely be looking for more of his books.

I was impressed with “Sharp Objects” as it is the first novel written by the author, Gillian Flynn. But if anyone is looking for a VERY different type of book, I recommend Stephen Woodworth’s Violet books. It is necessary to read them in order though to fully follow the series. (1. Through Violet Eyes, 2. With Red Hands, 3. In Golden Blood, and 4. From Black Rooms.)

Happy reading,

P.S. I watch what everyone else is reading too for ideas, so join in everyone and tell us what you are reading!
  13. RedHeadEMT

RedHeadEMT New Member

Hi there! I LOVE reading...here are some recent favorites:

I am a HUGE Jeffrey Deaver fan...if you like Stephen King or Dean Koontz, it's almost guaranteed that you will LOVE Jeffrey's books. If ya like creepy short stories, I'd recommend "Twisted," his collection of hair raising tales.

Two of my FAVORITE books of all time that I read recently are:

"Jewel" by Bret Lott
    In the Backwoods of Mississippin, a land of honeysuckle and grapevine, Jewel and her husband, Leston, are truly blessed; they have five fine children. When Brenda Kay is born in 1943, Jewel gives thanks for a healthy baby, last-born and most welcome. JEWEL is the story of how quickly a life can change; how, like lightning, an unforeseen event can set us on a course without reason or compass. In this story of a woman's devotion to a child who is both her burden and God's singular way of smiling on her, Bret Lott has created a mother-daughter relationship of a matchless intensity and beauty.

"The Time Traveller's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger [QUITE POSSIBLY ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS EVER WRITTEN]
    A most untraditional love story, this is a celebrated tale of Henry DeTamble, a dashing, adventuresome librarian who involuntarily travels thru time, and Clare Abshire, an artist whose life takes a natural sequential course. Henry and Clare's passionate affair endures across a sea of time and captures them in an impossbly romantic trap that tests the strengths of fate and basks in the bonds of love.

I also adore "Angela's Ashes" by Frank McCourt and "Memoirs of a Geisha." If ya loved the movie, you'll adore the book. I also recently read that book at the honeybee keepers, but I'm blanking on the title and author, so please forgive me, but it was an incredibly well written book also.

Right at this moment, I'm reading "The Diary of a Mad Bride" (again, blanking on the author...fibroFOG) and "The Devil Wears Prada" by Lauren Wiesberger.

I loooooove to read. Thanks for letting me read all the suggestions and tell you about my favorites. What a great idea this was!!

14. Callum

Callum New Member

I LOVED "Time Traveler's Wife." And not just because it takes place in my city, but because the story is beautiful and haunting. I was caught by surprise while reading it in Einstein Bagels, and found myself crying in public! It's a good thing I'm 6'5" - nobody openly laughed at me...

15. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I'm reading War & Peace this fall/winter. I hope to be done by the end of the month.

I finished Anna Karenina a couple months ago and I recommend that one too.
  16. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Don't remember the name, but it's about a woman who helps people "disappear" who are in danger of being killed. It isn't great, but maybe it will get better.

I am very eager to read the new Creighton (sp?) book. Think I'll buy it for my husband for Christmas...he loves to read, also, and since he reads faster than I, I won't have to wait too long.

Love to read.

Good thread, Ken...I'll check out some of the books listed. Thank you for thinking of this.

17. kholmes

kholmes New Member

What's the experience of reading WAR AND PEACE like? Are you enjoying it, or is it more a book that, when you're done, you'll be glad you have read?

It's on my list, but I haven't been up to tackling it yet.

I like the old Woody Allen joke, though:

"I took a speed reading course and read WAR AND PEACE. It's about Russia."
  18. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm pleased to see folks enjoying this thread as much as I am. You've reminded me of books I've read and books I want to read.

Larry, I just read Rise and Shine. I had mixed feelings about it. Not the best book but not the worst either. How about you?

Today I picked up John Grishom's latest from the library where I'd reserved it. It's a 14-day book so I'll need to zip through Housekeeping. I must admit that I'm more than halfway through it and am still waiting for it to grab me. Grishom's books are always easy reads and act as a refresher before beginning something more complex.

And I'm reading catalogs! Piles and piles of catalogs! I don't think I recall a holiday season when more catalogs have arrived. Enough already!

Here's to good books and the friends who read them.

19. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I actually am enjoying War & Peace. I decided I wanted to start in on some Russian literature this year, so I started with Anna Karenina (which was also very good, but I did have to do a little extra study on the agricultural history that Tolstoy got to talking about in parts of the book. But all in all, it was very interesting, and it gave me the opportunity to learn about facets of Russia that I wouldn't have known otherwise). And War & Peace is kind of the same. The sections that are more involved in the social relationships are an easier read then the sections that become very historical and get into the war with Napoleon. You have to kind of push through those parts and not let them deter you from the rest of the story, because Tolstoy's character developments and his own inner questions about the meanings of life that go into his characters are very interesting and make it a worthwhile book to read. It's not just an extremely LONG book. :) I've tried to tell many of my friends who are interested in reading it, to just try to break it up into manageable pieces, so they don't get overwhelmed and decide to forget it altogether.

Also, I've found that using Wikipedia.org as a reference for looking up things on the history of Russia during that period, and a bio on Tolstoy (who modeled several of his main characters after himself), makes the book a lot more understandable.

Hope that helps :)
  20. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Other books I've read this year that I recommend for others to read:

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier - I am not usually interested in the Civil War era, but this book is so beautifully written, that I think anyone would find this book enjoyable. You can really get a taste for the local areas he describes, and the characters are very well crafted. I often go back and read this book over again just for fun.

East of Eden - The best Steinbeck novel in my opinion, and if you can only read one, this should be it. It has drama, mystery, love, interesting characters, and a lot of life lessons and morals to think about. Very worth the time.

White Oleander - One of the best books of this decade. Surprisingly good.

Anna Karenina - Much talked about, and worth the buzz it's gotten. Again, it presents a lot of moral questions for your consideration and brings a lot of varied characters at different places in their lives. It's a long one, but worth the investment.

Bleak House - Not one of the more talked about Dickens, but this has always been my favorite, and you might have seen the mini series that was recently put out on PBS and the BBC. If you liked that, you'll LOVE the book. You get an even better view of the characters, and Dickens can construct a sentence better then any writer you'll find.