what are you reading lately?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shannonsparkles, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Got any good books on the go that you'd like to share?

I know this is a children's picture book, but I liked it: What if? by Jonathan Shipton.
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hi, Shannon. I'm currently reading Anna Quindlen's Rise and Shine. It's pretty good and definately better than Gail Godwin's Queen of the Underworld which I quit reading five chapters from the end.

What about children's books? What's your favorite for ages 2 1/2, 4 and 5?

Thanks.

Marta
  3. Callum

Callum New Member

I add to my list from other's responses...

For me, I just read Hermann Hesse's "Damien", which I liked. Now I'm finishing "Mr. Mee" by Andrew Crumey, which I'm enjoying, and also very recently finished Anna Quindlan's "Blessings" and David McCullough's "1776". (Liked the first, but "1776" was weak for a McCullough book. He didn't cover any new ground, in my opinion, and it seems like he made it from remaining notes from another book.

Callum
  4. maineweezie

maineweezie New Member

Hi all,

If it has words I must read it from ceral boxes to 1000 page novels.

As for young children's books most kids love the books from Mercer Myers all most all have Me and ******* as titles. He goes to the store,to Bed ,camping etc. Every one is a lesson as well as cute story. I recall reading two to the point of driving me bonkers at home and in Head Start but can't get the mind to recall authors names. "Good Night Moon" and "If You Give A Mouse a Cookie"

When they get a little older "The Chronicals Of Narnia" makes an awesome nightly read by chapters. Not sure who'll enjoy those more the children or adult readers. Any of the Boxcar Kids series is good too. Oh there are so many wonderous books for children of all ages. Maineweezie
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Just finished THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES.

Just started Richard Peck's A YEAR DOWN YONDER, a Newberry Award winning YA book (I'm working through all of the Newberry award winners with a very good friend).

Also reading:

Postcards from Ed: Dispatches and Salvos from an American Iconoclast (Letters of the writer, Edward Abbey)

Four Way Street: A Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young Reader

Turning Hurts into Halos, Robert Schuller

Thriller (an anthology of short stories in the thriller genre, edited by James Patterson).

I'm enjoying all of them!

[This Message was Edited on 11/21/2006]
  6. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Hmmm.....
    Quite a lot acually:

Mitch Albom's newest book: about spending one more day with his mother who died years ago, I think it's called "For one more day" or something like that. The only thing I didn't like is that the book costs so much, and it only takes like an hour- hour and a half to read. Bummer there.

"There is No Me Without You" By Melissa Fay Greene: A true story about a woman who adopted several children out of Africa. The book is a real education about how the Aids epedmic in Ethiopia wiped out thousands upon thousands of innocent lives, the worst of all being children. The book tells of a woman who had barely anything, who lost her husband and one of her daughters, but still had the love and kindness in her heart to take in orphans of all ages, whether or not they had aids. And that was not a small undertaking for her, because there was a great deal of predjudices associated with allowing anyone with aids into your house. This is the most educational, well written, book I've read in a very long time. I urge everyone to buy a copy and read, read, read! You won't be sorry!

Just started: "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult. It is about a girl who wants to emancipate herself from her parents, so that they can no longer use her for blood and organ donations to save her sick sister. Her sister needs a kidney, but she refuses. Without the kidney the sister will die! The parents only had her in order to have a donor for their sick daughter. I just started this book, but it looks very interesting!

Whooohooo.... I love reading! I am such a bookworm! At least I can still Read! Thank God for that! Praise Jesus!
    Take care!
    Snuggle up with a good book and read away!
    Kellyann
  7. llama

llama New Member

Hi all,

I absolutely love to read but historically have always had a terrible time choosing books. I love when someone suggests a book they enjoyed.

I'm currently reading Welcome to the World Baby Girl by Fannie Flagg. I think after this book I'll have read all her offerings so far. Obviously am amused by the simple, quirky, old time characters that she depicts so well.

Also have been interested lately in books about "near death experiences", probably because my mother and MIL have died within the last year. One of the best I read was My Descent into Death by Howard Storm. Was of particular interest to me because he lives in my area (was an art professor at the University that I went to, however, didn't know him).

Lastly, have read most of Richard North Patterson's novels (not to be confused with James Patterson, although have read a few of his). If possible try to read them in order, it's not essential but a lot of the same characters are in each novel so chronologically speaking the story lines run smoother. His novels are mostly mystery/law themes.

Hope more people post with good suggestions.....Jill
  8. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

The Repairman Jack series by F. Paul Wilson; most recent was "Harbingers".

Just finished reading "Born in Death" by Nora Roberts writing as J.D. Robb; latest in the In Death series.

Currently reading "Chill of Night" by John Lutz.

Will soon be starting "Cross" by James Patterson; latest in the Alex Cross series.

Lots more in my 'to be read' pile I keep by the bed, too many to list!

Happy reading,
    Kat
  9. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

They're easier on the old old old noggan of mine.

I recently read The Dustbowl Diary of Grace Edwards, in the Dear America series. It's awesome, and the writer is very young. The dust storm scenes were vivid and scary. Everyone in town seemed nice, and the one girl who was not so nice came around eventually. The author did a great job researching to create this finely detailed and very readable story of American life.

I also finished The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, by Kate DiCamillo. It's a story for younger readers about a china rabbit doll who is vain and full of himself. He was told by the old lady who commissioned him to be made, "You dissappoint me." His journey through several owners of varying circumstances broke my heart several times (I had to put the book down and cry in one of the chapters) and finally helped to give Edward a heart of his own. It was so well done that I wanted to read it out loud.
  10. mezombie

mezombie Member

Well, it takes me about a month to get through a book, so not all of these are all that recent! However, I've managed to read:

Blessings, by Anna Quindlan
    The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho

and, most recently, The Moviegoer, by Walker Percy.

I'm currently trying to read No God but God: The Origins, Evolution, and Future of Islam. I'm still in the Prologue.

If it gets to heavy, I'll indulge in one of my guilty pleasures: one of Sue Grafton's detective novels!
  11. littlebrownwren

littlebrownwren New Member

Jil

If you enjoy Fanny Flagg, you will love Jan Karons books on Mitford.

Wren
  12. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Bill Bryson is always a kick and the Thunderbolt Kid was really cute.

I just finished "Never have your dog stuffed" by Alan Alda. It's his autobiography and it's great.

I also just read "Eldest" which is a fantasy book written by a teenager and aimed at teenage (and older) readers.

I'm chewing away on "The Princes of Ireland" by Edward Rutherfurd but it's much tougher going than some of his earlier books.

Luckily my eyes have been better so I can indulge myself in reading for a while nearly every day - for a long time I could only listen to audiobooks which gets old.

Happy reading!
    Gretchen
  13. llama

llama New Member

Hi,

Thank you for the post. I appreciate the suggestion and will most certainly check this series out.

I love it when you don't have to say "good-bye" to characters (right away at least) that feel like old friends by the end of a book.

Jill
  14. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Mary Higgins Clark, Two Little Girls in Blue.

It's really good, as I think all her books are, but lately the eyes go bunky, even tho I get the Large Print Books, and I do have rx-reading glasses.

I have a John Jakes, that I plan on starting next, it's called, "Charleston" love the Histrical, I mean Historical books, ;o)

Hugs,
    sharonk
  15. mary124

mary124 New Member

Started reading a couple of books but they didn't hold my interest--- so I picked up a book by Stephen White called "blinded". Only read about 3 chapters but so far so good. Might just finish it this week if I don't have any company.
  16. MelaC

MelaC New Member

Hi Shannon I am reading The other side of the duvet by Marian Keyes. A really easy read.

Mela
  17. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Gee a lot of the books I read recently turned out badly. I did read one good Jodie Picoult, her latest I think. I enjoyed it Keeping Faith it was called about a jewish girl who gets stigmata as the theme. It was really a drama about relationships, not a religious book but made me ponder still.

I then went to the library and got a bunch of books she recommended and did not like any of them. Just read Law of Similars by Chris Bolijan which was just overly predictable and boring really. Read the new Cat Who book which was a fun quick read. LIstening to Housekeeping on CD's which is a fave story of mine about two little girls who are brought up by a variety of relatives. You may recall Christina Lahti made a movie of the book which was well done.

I read the new Stephen King over Halloween it was pretty gruesome about terrorists taking over people via cell phone. I just started a Carolyn See book, but I am gettuing to the point where I long for a really good book or movie, one of those cannot out down ones. Oh I started reading Anne Tylers latest book and got through only one chapter. She used to write good books, very quirky-I swear her husband used to write them with her as when he seemed to disappear so did the good reads.

I did enjoy the Secret Life of Bees. Where is Ken???

Love Annie
  18. Marta608

Marta608 Member

What would we do without books??

There are many good selections here to add to my list, many authors I'd forgotten about. Thank you all. I'm slogging through Anne Tyler's latest and keep hoping for a good turn of events. Annie, you probably had the right idea. Same with Gail Godwin's latest.

And:

"I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living
    my baby you'll be"

Oh! Who doesn't love that? Thanks, Crystal.

Marta
  19. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Just finished a trilogy by Irish author Brendan O'Carroll. (Could you tell he's Irish?) Didn't know it was a series and read the last one first. Didn't really matter.

Anyway if you like heartwarming books ala Jan Karon (Wren) you will probably like these. They are set in working class Dublin and are a little grittier than most such books.

The first one is called "The Mammy". They are short. The three books equal one long book.

I'm w/ you Maineweezie. If there are words, I will read them. The last cereal box I picked up to read was Raisen Bran. Had a crossword on it.

Just finished a book by Anna Quindlen. Don't remember the title. I used to read her column in Newsweek. Enjoyed stuff by Bill Bryerson, James Patterson, etc.

Love Fannie Flagg, Llama. We read one of her books in the book club. The last one I read had a near death experience. So does the last book in the O'Carroll series.

I guess we don't have to worry about running out of books. James Burke said on one of his tv documentaries that in the early days of the printing press, a thousand books a year were published in Europe.

Now it's a thousand a day.

20. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

so no fun all work there.

enjoy your reads everyone

jodie