What are you reading right now? (not just for Book Club folks)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Feb 25, 2008.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

We haven't had a thread like this in a while, though some of you have posted what you're reading on the Book Club threads. Anything that's really grabbed you? Swept you away? Made you toss it in the corner?

I'm reading a great biography that my father recommended called Joe DiMaggio: The Hero's Life. Dimaggio reminds me a little of Henry Fonda, an incredible talent, quiet and stoic, but with a personal life that was not a pretty picture. The book covers, among other things, his stellar career with the Yankees and his marriage with Marilyn Monroe.

Like Mujuer, I'm also reading Eckart Tolle's A NEW EARTH, but I'm finding it lacking. So far, I liked his POWER OF NOW a lot better.

Lastly, I've got a thriller called ICARUS by Russell Andrews on deck. Not that I need anything to keep me up all night! But I enjoy a good thriller. Can't remember who recommended this one.

[This Message was Edited on 02/25/2008]
  2. laceymae

laceymae New Member

I've got two new ones, Twilight Eyes and The Darkest Evening of the Year. Haven't started them yet, but I plan on it this week.

3. sheepwrestler

sheepwrestler New Member

I haven't read anything for years, and just got back into reading a month ago--have been reading about two books a week.

Right now I'm reading Anne Rivers Siddons--am currently reading "Homeplace." I love her books.

I found alot of my books that I had in storage--Rumor Godden, William Faulkner, Eudora Welty, Neville Schute, May Sarton, etc, so have more to read.

4. mezombie

mezombie Member

by Gary Shteyngart. He's a Russian emigre who wrote "The Russian Debutante's Handbook".

This book is funny and revealing at the same time. I "read" part of it via audiobook. The narrator is none other than Arte Johnson, who some may remember from TV's "Laugh In".
  5. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

So now I am reading Mauve Binchy Whitehorn Woods. It's kinda like the book club book we read a few months back where each chapter is about a different character.

I just finished The Innocent Man by John Grisham. Didn't know it wasn't fiction till I started reading. That was a fascinating book. I'm going to have hubby read that one too.

Before that I was reading It's all in your head by PJ Langoff. It's a book with 80 stories about people with lyme and each story is written by a lyme patient. I was thinking this would give me some success stories and give me some moral support. NOT! There are some real sad stories in that book and I just had to put it down. I need to wait until I am feeling better to get back to that book.

I like biography's too. Maybe I will read about Joe DiMaggio next.

6. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I am reading the Left Behind Series by Tim LaHaye and I cannot think of the other guy's name. This is a series of books about Christianity and the Anitchrist. They are so awesome, I am on the Remnant, I think that is the 11th book. I just started reading them 2 months ago and cannot put them down.

There is drama, love, war and a lot of action.
  7. Juloo

Juloo Member

"The Mystery of the Copper Scroll of Qumran: The Essene Record of the Treasure of Akhenaten" by Robert Feather. It is non-fiction. About 1/3 scholarship, 2/3 conjecture. Still, very interesting hypothesis about the meaning and authorship of the copper scroll that was part of the Dead Sea scrolls.

Don't know what I'll read next. My son is going through the Pern series by Anne McCaffrey, and I'm getting a little nostalgic and may be joining him. I've been reading A.M. since early high school -- and now my son is a third-generation McCaffrey fan. I have 56 of her books on my shelves, and 36 of them are hardback. She's one of the only authors that ever automatically rates a hardback purchase from me!
  8. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

Hide and Seek, by James Patterson. I have read quite a few of his Cross series books, I like the short chapters, and he gets you hooked in the first in the first couple of paragraphs. Very light reading, and entertaining.

Happy reading to all,
  9. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

The Yacoubian Building by Alaa Al Aswany

about a hotel in Egypt and all the residents including the poor ones who live on the roof.

It's pretty good, how their lives are entwined but it's not a 'I can't put this down' book.

Been reading quite a few books by foreign authors this past while, some brilliant some not so much.

I feel like I need some light reading now too.

10. Callum

Callum New Member

I'm reading "The Executioner's Song" by Norman Mailer. I bought it right after he died, but just started it a couple weeks ago.

I'm also re-reading "Damien" by Herman Hesse. I would love to do a present day adaptation of this for the stage. But then, I'm a lousy writer, so I should just convince someone else to do it...

11. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I remember reading Herman Hesse books in my 20s - Siddhartha and Damien too.

I think I would enjoy a re-read of them too.

Thanks Callum.

12. Callum

Callum New Member

I LOVED Siddhartha... I should re-read that one, too!

I haven't read "O Pioneers!" but I read "My Antonia" last year and loved it. What a great way to describe Cather - like a cup of tea on cold winter days. Beautiful!
    [This Message was Edited on 02/26/2008]
  13. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I see lots of you are reading authors I like, and some of you are reading authors I tried and didn't like. I think authors are like movie stars. You like 'em or you don't. Very difficult to explain why tho.

I mean, you could say well, he's a good actor or a good writer, but that's really the same as saying, I like him.

I usually have 3 or 4 books going at the same time. Right now I have 6 cause I started 3 mysteries that were ok, but not really great. Don't know if I'll finish all of them.

I do plan to finish the one by , oh I'm getting all confused here. One of the authors is named Claire and so is the main character in another author's book.

Ken, have you read any mysteries by Mary Logue? She uses the fictional setting of Fort St. Antoine, Wisconsin. In "Blood Country" there's a visit to Wabasha, MN. (Note: Ken's father lives in Wabasha, an old town on the banks of the Mississippi. In fact, the oldest town in Minnesota.

Am also reading the latest book by Deborah Tannen. She is a Prof. of linguistics. (She got her start working in a deli making tongue sandwiches.)

Anyway she is kinda like Joyce Brothers. An academic who writes best sellers and appears on talk shows. Her books are about communication and problems. In her first big seller "You Just Don't Understand" she explained why woman can't keep secrets.

Her current book is about mothers and daughters: "You're Wearing that?"

And am rereading a P.G. Wodehouse. I read in England they pronounce his name Wood-house. Hard to keep track of his books since he wrote about 90. Many have one title in England and another title in the USA. Pretty much all of them are funny by whatever flower you call them.

I think I'd better end this before the gremlins get it.

14. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

by Michael Crichton. It's science fiction. It's not holding my interest very well. I did like his book, CONGO.

15. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

yes Wood house over here - they are doing a re-run of his marvelous Jeeves and Wooster with Hugh Laurie as Bertie Wooster and Steven Fry as his butler Jeeves.

Brilliant stuff - really well done, it must have been made in the 80s as they are both so young.

Makes such fun of the upper classes.

16. Catseye

Catseye Member

I just decided to read a book today. I haven't read one in 5 years - since I've been ill. Been doing all my reading on the web, studying health. I went with my mom today to this used book store and there was a Stephen King book, Cell, sitting right there in front of me so I grabbed it.

I read all his early books when I was young and loved 'em. He really cracks me up - horror with humor thrown in. Hope this one is just as good. Anyone else read it?

17. Marta608

Marta608 Member

....Run by Ann Pachettt. I think we read her Magician's Assistant for Book Club last year. Finally! A winner!

I have never read books which include more insight into and compassion for the elderly than hers. Her Father Sullivan in Run totters right out of the pages and into your heart. All of her characters, in their own way, are amazingly frank and endearing. This would be an excellent Book Club selection, Ken.

Thanks for your review of The Good Earth. I wondered if it would be worthwhile reading. I think I'll read The Power of Now first.

I had to come back and add this quote from a New Yorker cartoon: "No, I haven't read the New Testament but I read the Old Testament and liked it very much." ;>)[This Message was Edited on 03/03/2008]
  18. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I just finished SHOT by Jennie Siler. It's about a search conducted by the wife of a biochemical company employee to find the reason for her husband's murder.

There I was, reading along, and the subject became Gulf War Illness, Mycoplasma Infection - and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome! The suggestion was that these illnesses were a part of the government's illegal and subversive use of mycoplasma bacteria on veterans as guinea pigs. Fiction or not, it's really very concise and well-researched, plus it's a pretty good story overall, reasonably-sized print and not terribly long, my criteria these days for a good book.

If fiction writers can educate themselves so well about CFS, can the medical community be far behind?

By the way, has anyone seen Rockgor lately?

19. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Just finished, The Priest: Aaron, by, Francine Rivers, one of my favorite authors.

This was an excellant book for where i'm at right now. I cried and cried, at the end, even tho i already knew the story.

Also read the book, The Tenth Kingdom, and just finished the last DVD on the series. It was a fun movie, really enjoyed it. Lots of unexpected twists and turns, some dark scary stuff, and also light hearted moments, and lots of humor, as it plays of all the fairy tales.

20. springwater

springwater Active Member

Ive always been interested in ghosts and spirits...having had some weird experiences of my own...so Im reading Slyvia Browne - Visits from the Afterlife...where she explains the difference between a ghost and spirit and a whole lot of other interesting stuff. It even seems like the ghost of Elizabeth Short (The Black Dahlia) made contact and told her about her murder...I had to look up The Black Dahlia on goodle coz i didnt know about her. I would love to be one of those who didnt believe in spooks....looking at the Haunted episodes on Discovery channel always gives me the chills.

Im also reading a turkish author Orhan Pamuk...'Other Colours'..he is very easy to read and engrossing

I had bought The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle but found it extemely difficult to comprehend but i notice i go back to books when im ready for them after having given up on them sometimes....much easier to read and practice was/is Transformation and Healing - Thich Nhat Hanh (a vietnamese monk)whose simple brathing and meditation exercises help me with my CFS and depression.

God Bless
    [This Message was Edited on 03/09/2008]