What are you sleeping ON..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by icare, Nov 27, 2005.

1. icare

icare New Member

I am thinking about buying a Mattress specifically for Fibromyalgia.
    I have been using a soft mattress with about 3 pieces of foam and a heating pad.
    I do get to sleep but becuase of the pain and soarness in mostly my upper body i start waking up around 4 am and do the tossing and turning thing tell, i just give up and get up.It feels like somebody has been hitting my, i am so soar..Once i am up the pain eases becuase i am not laying and putting pressure on the muscles.

I still dont know what is causing all the pain..Thought it was the nerves being very senstive to pressure..But some say it muscle tissue.

anyways would like to hear what some of you are doing, to get more sleep.
    I take a bit of Oxycontin 10 mgs but it only helps a bit.I find if i take it before bed , it will keep me awake..

Rick
  2. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Hi Rick, I've bought a 2" memory foam mattress topper from thr TV shopping channels, & it really eases the pressure - it's wonderful! It eases my hubby's arthritis too.

I take 10 or 20 mg Amitriptylene/Elavil a couple of hours before bedtime to help with the pasin & sleeplessness. Hoe you find something helpful.
  3. lin-z

lin-z New Member

Hey Rick, I thought my mattress was great until i cma down with this dd and now i feel every thing. I bough an extra firm a few years back and have since put a pillow top on it but now i feel like i am being stabbed in every muscle...yipes. So i am not helping you but i sure am interested in the responses you get...good luck
  4. Jeanie101156

Jeanie101156 New Member

Forgive me my fibro fog is bad today so I can't remember the name of my matteress but will explain. It is a richard petty mattress. It has that foam mattress in it that is advertised on tv. The one you walk on and not speel water. Anyway that is in it and is layered with other foam. It is the best thing I have found. Plus the matteress is light enough to be able to move when you have to turn it or something. I never know when my hubby gets up or turns its spooky. I love it. We bought it from rent a center. Jeanie
  5. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

hello icare .. I also bought an "RX Memory Foam " topper that is 2 inches thick from the shopping channel (Canadian) it does seem to help .. I had an ordinay foam topper before and it would WRINKLE big time so I could feel that darn thing .. ouch ! ... this doesn't wrinkle and it is a little more comfortable.
    Hope the info helps !
    Good Luck !
    Fudge : )
  6. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I use an adjustable bed. The remote control makes it easy to change positions (lower/raise my head and feet) and the bed is truly great, not only for sleeping, but for watching TV, reading etc.

When I wake in pain throughout the night, a simple adjustment goes a long way in helping me get back to sleep.

I use a memory foam mattress pad over-top of the bed's mattress and it's very comfy.

The bed was expensive but it's guaranteed for 25 years and honestly it's the best investment I've made insofar as improving my sleep, pain and general well-being.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  7. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Hi Rick,
    I bought a Sleep Number bed. I have to say, I do wake up less sore than before I bought it. My only complaint is that it sometimes loses air in the middle of the night and I wake up sore then.
    JPach007
  8. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

My bed was terrible too and I was waking up all the time from pain and tossing-n-turning for hours. So to help my sleep situation a little bit, I got a new mattress and it is wonderful!! It is an Omaha Bedding Company pillow top (Rose model) with a memory foam layer. It is the perfect combination of super soft yet provides great support.

I tried tons of others (Sealy, Simmons, Serta, etc.) before deciding on this one. It is a local manufacturer here in Omaha, NE so it was actually a lot cheaper too. It is one of the best presents I've ever bought for myself!!
  9. icare

icare New Member

Thanks for the replys, it sounds like alot use the memory foam.I know they have a special mattress just for Fibro,and is suppose to create less pressure..It is probably made up of memory foam.
    What ever i choose, if i am paying alot of money, i will want it on a trial basis.
    If i could just have a room with no Gravity and float all night i would be just fine..
    I hate this illness and i get sick of the pain.

We also had a very firm Mattress, and did have it that long before i started to hurt..I would wake up at 3 or 4 am..but didnt clue in that it was Fibro..

Rick
  10. sues1

sues1 New Member

I have tried many things and to no avail...

I just ordered a Cuddle Ewe from the store on this site. I have heard nothing but good on it. You can return it up to 90 days afer getting it...it is on sale right now.
  11. teltale

teltale New Member

I'm sleeping on a very expensive mattress but I still have a lot a trouble sleeping. It is impossible to lie in one position for long so I am contanstly turning and twisting. That is probably why I cannot sleep. Funny 4 am seems to be the time many wake up. I've been taking sleeping pills but now it take two to get to sleep so I try to go without them until I can't stand it and then I sleep with one pill again.

I'm also starting to try using special music and meditation cd's. I keep thinking if I could just have one week of proper sleep this would all go away!

Just remember when you are lying awake. You are not alone!
    There are a lot of us walking in circles.

Take care!

ND
  12. Tiels

Tiels New Member

I wouldn't part with my comfey warm water bed for any amount of money!
  13. hunterwillow

hunterwillow New Member

It took awhile to get used to, but now I love it. Especially in the winter, or when I am chilled.
  14. puppyfreak

puppyfreak New Member

When I got my disability back pay last summer, I got a Novaform mattress from Costco. It has 3" of memory foam and 9" of super-dense foam combined and so far, it's wonderful! I have some kind of hip pain [possible bursitis] and I use a heating pad, too [a big one that turns itself off automatically that I also got at Costco].
    And I take narcotics, both long-acting and ones for breakthrough, as well as Neurontin.
    My mattress is a queen-size and my little Shih-tzu likes it, too - lots of room for both of us to stretch out!

Char
  15. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I sleep on a Bed that has a regular Mattress, but I have added to it, 2 Featherbed Mattress's, and I also have one on my Couch.
    I plan on getting one more, it's a newer made one, that I want to try out, love them.

For pillows tho, I get a variey, 2 soft, one Kingsize Med. and a huge Pillow that, I got from hsn, that supports the back, and neck area, when I lay in bed, there are day's, where I spend a lot of time there, but like to read, and sew, but, can't unless I have a comfortable support system, lol,.

Hope you find something that will help you.
    sharonk
  16. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

I bought a sleep number bed a year and a half ago now... best thing I every did for the night pressure points.

I first bought a 2 inch memory foam topper and that helped but the sleep number alows me to adjust it up and down during the night.

Tummy sleeping I need the 55 number
    back sleeping I need 25
    side sleeping I go as low as 15 to 20

It only takes a few second to adjust it. Most nights I sleep in one position all night but when pressure points flare up I adjust 3 or 4 times a night.

It costs just a tad bit more the a regular mattress/box springs set but comes with a 20 year warranty. We always replaced our mattresses every 10 years so in the long run this one should be cheaper.
  17. kch64

kch64 New Member

Hi. This is for the foam mattress users...Doesn't it make you sweat more on the foam? I have thought about trying the tempurpedic mattress on T.V. But I can't stand to get really hot at night. Anyone have one of these?

I have found my favorite pillows. The Latex pillows are excellent. They hold your head and support it without going flat. I got mine at Kohl's but Walmart has a brand of them also.

Kendra
    [This Message was Edited on 11/29/2005]
  18. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

My fiance' and I have a waveless waterbed. It was "okay" for me but wasn't the most comfortable thing in the world for him.

Then we got creative........ he layered a bunch of blankets and comforters on top of it, then a down-feather pillowtop mattress on top of that! Now, WHEN we sleep in the bed, it's like sleeping on a cloud..... REALLY! It's SO SOFT and we just SINK down into it! We fall asleep on it very quickly, and I am comatose! I sleep through the night and never wake up to roll over or anything. It's the most wonderful feeling EVER! Better than sex! lol

Unfortunately, it's actually TOO comfortable. My sweetie sleeps on it so soundly that he has trouble waking up to the alarm clock the next morning, so we sleep on the couch together on the nights when he has to go to work the next day. We have a sectional sofa, so we each have our own end of the couch. I can't sleep in our bed without him, so I sleep on the couch too. But on the nights when he is off work the next day, we sleep in the bed and every time we crawl into it we are amazed all over again at how incredible it is!

Hugs!
    Starr
  19. Goldyfm

Goldyfm New Member

I went to a Mattress Doctor, you can find online and I laid on every mattress they sold in show room I ended up with a Park Place sheridan. It has a 4 inch topper of memory foam and a border of a composite foam that helps with mattress not giving if you sit on the edge. It was well worth the money and I did try the teperpedic there and found this one to actually feel better to my FM body. The TP was too soft. I do notice lsee stiffness on arising. I have had insomnia for years now and if I can just get comfortable enough to stay asleep, it is a big improvement for me. Hope this helps. I too thought it would be hot, but it is no different from any mattress I have slept on in regards to the temperature comfort.
  20. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

Rick, from every thing I've read, I would buy a cuddle ewe to put on your current mattress. It is guaranteed I believe for several months. If you aren't happy you send it back and get your money back. I believe they have done a study that showed 80% of fibro patients have shown considerable improvement in their sleep.

If I had all the money to get whatever I wanted, I would get the sleep number bed, add cuddlewe on top, and then have a minimum of 500 threadcount sateen sheets. Top it off with the softest blanket and down comforter.

I wouldn't trade my pillow - buckwheat hulls. I've tried everything, and spent a fortune, but this is the one for me.

Good luck, I hope you find something. Not sleeping comfortably is just horrible. Let us know how it goes, I would like to hear what you decide and if it works.