What are You Thankful For?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kjade, Nov 24, 2009.

1. kjade

kjade New Member

Hi All!
    With Thanksgiving approaching, I thought it would be nice to share some happy thoughts, and to discuss what we are all thankful for. Even with our trials and tribulations, we are all very blessed. And this holiday is a time to reflect on what is good in our lives and give thanks for all of our blessings.

I am so thankful for my family. I have a wonderful husband who is my best friend, and he is the most wonderful father in the world. I am so blessed to have him.

I am so thankful that I have been blessed with 4 beautiful healthy children. I truly believe they were sent to me for a reason, and I thank God for giving me the opportunity to have them in my life. It is a privilege to be raising them. They are each unique and it is really a joy to watch them grow and flourish. They are my life...

I am thankful that I have a good job, and that I have a home that was my dream. (even though it needs so much work...) I am thankful that I still have my parents and grandparents here - I enjoy the time I spend with each of them - I am so blessed to have them.

Oh there is so much more that I am thankful for - I could write pages. LOL But now I must get moving on preparing for dinner tomorrow.

So tell us all what you are thankful for!!
    (and remember....we aren't "lucky", we are "blessed".)
  2. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

This week I am grateful for life....that's it, nothing else.

Early Saturday afternoon, my husband's car was hit by a speeding SUV who was coming at him semi head on, broadside. Thank God my husband is an excellent driver and his car was a high performance vehicle (but small) and he was able to quickly swerve so the head on passenger side took the brunt of the impact.Thank God he was alone; I was supposed to be with him, and at the last minute we decided to take seperate cars to the same destination, which we never do. He walked away with out a scratch. I was numb when I pulled up to his badly battered car.

The driver who hit him has a suspended driver's license, expired registration, and a stack of summons for various violations. Yet, he still managed to be insured. How? I have no idea. Something is very wrong with the system folks.

Even though we are so very grateful for my husband's safety (and even the toad who hit him), the car sustained over $26000 in damages and we found out last night in all likelihood it will be totalled. I feel bad about the car only because my husband loved it so much and was so excited when we got it last Thanksgiving. However, at the end of the day...a car is just a car. I have my husband, my children have their father, and for that alone I am unequivocally grateful this year. When we go around the table tomorrow before we eat, and each person tells what they are grateful for, I am certain it will take everything I've got to not well up and cry..again. It's been a tough week.

Peace to all and cherish your loved ones--

[This Message was Edited on 11/25/2009]
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Good idea to take inventory every now and then.

I am thankful I have a:
    comfortable mattress
    recorded music
    the computer
    the Pro Health board
    a funny little dog
    a supportive partner.

And very thankful I no longer have to spend holidays
    with my dysfunctional family.

4. jole

jole Member

My hubby, our kids/spouses/grandkids.

For the past six years, I have been especially thankful for all the wonderful people I've met on this board, who understand, care about, and look after each other in a way that we can't find anywhere else! My family all knows how important this site and my friends here are to me, and they too are very greatful for all of you!

I am also thankful for the health of my family members, and pray for an answer so the rest of us will somehow have a chance at a better life to come.

Bless you all...and have a wonderful Thanksgiving day!...............Jole
  5. ckball

ckball New Member

I have learned to live one day at a time and be grateful each day I get in bed. I am grateful for my dogs, they are my reason to carry on each day, they give me so much love, when they are not giving me greif-lol.

I am grateful for the board, I have made some very good friends here and more support than anyone could ask for from a bunch of "sickos" You know I mean that with the with the upmost respect :)

We all suffer and we all support, that is what life is about, helping others help themselves. So thank you for all of your support and freindship all the years I have been here-Carla
  6. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

most of them have been mentioned already.

Laura - So sorry to hear about your husbands terrible accident and that the car is in such bad shape.. I am so happy that he is OK. That is the most important thing. YOu wonder how people like the driver can even still have a license. Usually also they survive and the other person ( the innocent victim) gets injured or killed.

Yes, Kjade, Jole, Rock, et al - our loved ones are the most important thing to be thankful for, and that the people (the loving friends that are on this message board) are also VERY and dear to us. We are so lucky to have a home and to live in this great country. If I had the time the list goes on. No matter how bad things may seem at the moment, we all have many things to be thankful for.

We are all very thankful now that our grandson Jacob, now 8 yrs old is in remission from his leukemia. He has been on chemo since he was 5. We should see him today as well as his brother at our sons when we go to eat turkey today.

Thanks Kjade for starting this post.

May eveyone have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving holiday.

7. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I am so sorry that happened to you. What kind of kids are these? I have three teenagers that I know for a fact would NEVER disrespect an older person in the way you were disrespected. Imagine how those girls must be raised to be able to act like that.

I am certainly glad you had your cell phone too. Those lttle necessary evils sure do come in handy sometimes!!

Enjoy the day today--

8. kjade

kjade New Member

See....we all have so many wonderful things to be thankful for. I am thankful that my Thanksgiving dinner turned out really good yesterday, and although we only had one guest this year (my mom) everything was very nice.
    And I am thankful for leftovers!! ;)

Laura, omigosh! I didn't know that happened....how terrible! Well, thank God your husband is ok. That must have been really traumatic for you. And...a car is just a car. I know he is bummed about it, but you can replace a car...you can't replace a life. I hope you all still managed to have a nice Thanksgiving. We were smashed into a couple years ago by a snow plow - we were behind DH and the plow hit him on the driver's side. Luckily he was ok, because he got out of the car and was screaming at the guy. His ins fixed the car, but that car has been falling apart ever since. We have had to put $100's into the car because it just keeps breaking down, and it all goes back to that accident. Unfortunately, we can't go after their ins because we already signed everything. But that is another story. I get so angry when I hear about people like the person who hit your DH, because we are good honest people who never do anything wrong, and we always pay our insurance premiums, and we have gotten screwed so badly so many times with the ins. Again, another story....
    I'm just so glad to hear DH is ok.

Georgia, that is awful that those girls treated you like that! I swear, so many kids of today are being raised with absolutely no morals, no values, no respect....what is going on in the world? I had a teenager tell me to go to he** at a recent high school football game. I was so shocked I didn't even know what to say! And a bunch of the high school boys were messing with me and my DH - they were spraying silly string at us and then hiding. When we were trying to get through them to leave, they sprayed me in the head and that's when the girl YELLED in my ear to go to he**.

We had our kids with us, and we had the baby in her car seat on the bleachers seat. These boys nearly trampled her trying to get into the seats. (we were there to see our boys introduced before the game - they announce the pee wee kids every year & it's exciting for them). We were sitting the first section so I could get good pictures. Little did I know that we were in the "student cheering section" (as one punky kid rudely explained to me). After they pushed me out of the way, and nearly stepped on the baby, I turned to DH and had a few choice words about these kids.....well apparently they heard me. Well, I don't care WHAT I said - they had no business treating ADULTS the way they did. It was positively disgusting!!

I am doing my best to raise my kids to be respectful and kind. They always hold doors for people (and people always remark how polite they are - they are shocked that kids are holding the doors for them). My boys always pack the grocery bags at the store so the cashier doesn't have to do it, and people are always commenting how good my kids are. That always makes me really proud. See....so have faith. There are a lot of really snotty, bratty, out of control teens out there, but there are a few who ARE being raised right. I am just thankful that I was raised with good strong values - because those are the things I am trying to pass on to my own children. I just still can't get over how you were treated....so sorry about that.

Well, I hope everyone had a really nice Thanksgiving!! :) Now onto Christmas!

PS...and I too am so thankful to have all of you wonderful folks as my "friends". I have learned so much from you all!!