What Are Your Best Money-Saving Tips?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This may have been done but with the rotten economy, I thought maybe we could all benefit from each other's best money-saving tips.

My neighbors laugh at me because I save money on paper products by buying in bulk when they are on sale, especially when I also have coupons. It's amazing how many little places one can hide extra products. I'm a paper-products hoarder but I hate to spend money on things which just get thrown away.

Speaking of coupons, most stores will allow one to use both a store coupon and a vendor's coupon on one product as long as it doesn't exceed the price of the product itself. Our supermarket has BOGO deals every week. If one buys then and uses coupons, it's a real deal. I don't come close to those super saver coupon clippers one sees on TV, but I do save a lot of money with very little effort.

I want to hear how everyone else saves money.

Love, Mikie
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Always a timely topic. When I was a kid, most people didn't use charge cards.
    They were in their infancy. (The cards, not the people.) My mother had a charge card
    for Daytons Dept Store (now outta business).

It (the card) was made out of cardboard. And it was only good for one store.

Anyway, my rule has always been don't charge anything if you can't pay for it
    when the bill comes. Saves a lot on interest and penalties.

My son used to work for a loan company. It said it was routine for young
    couples to come in w/ $7,000 to $10,000 in credit card debt. Land O Goshen!

Another tip is visit the 99 cent store or its equivalent. Yes, the ones here
    in Los Angeles are crowded, and sometimes the clerks don't speak English,
    but the savings are substantial.

For example a bottle of Palmolive dish washing soap is $4 at the supermarket
    and $3 less at the 99er.

Tip no. 3. Focus on how much you spend, not on what you "save". Yes,
    it's nice the dress was marked down $100, but did you really need a
    dress that cost $600? (Lucy Riccardo never could understand this concept.)

3. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I have some money saving tricks myself:

We do eat alot of bread in our house..Ezekiel,baguette, Ciabatta, Italian bread, multi grain boule, etc. Sometimes, I wind up with odds and ends of three or four different breads in the frig, so I started making homemade croutons for our salads. What a hit they are with my family. Now I have to make them whenever company comes over--lol!!!

I never throw away over-ripe bananas. I take three of them and slice them up, place them in a ziploc bag. I then mash them up in the bag and flatten it down into a square. When it's completely frozen, I take it out of the bag (the flat square makes it easy to break into pieces) and place it in my food processor with one cup of Vanilla soy milk and a tablespoon of peanut butter. I then place the mixture into four 4 oz Glad plastic disposable cups with lids and place it back in the freezer for a healthy ice cream snack!! My girls love this and I do too.

Another thing I am very cheap about is laundry detergent. I really love Tide and Tide with Bleach, but I absolutely will not buy it if it is not on sale. I will then purchase a box of inexpensive store brand powdered detergent (I got a huge box of Food Club for $2.99!) and I will add about a half a cup of Clorox 3 non-chlorine bleach powder to it if necessary. It really goes a long way for a long time. I stopped using it this week because Target had a great sale on Tide and I had coupons. Once I run out of the Tide, I will resume using my detergent concoction until the Tide goes on sale again!!

Another product that has saved me a great deal of money is Dry Cleaners Secret that you can use in the clothes dryer. It works quite well to freshen up blazers, dresses, peacoats, etc. Often times things are sent to the cleaners when they really just need to be freshened up. That's when this stuff really comes in handy!

I have replaced my expensive bathroom pump soap wth Sunlight dish liquid with soy extract. It is very gentle on my hands at a fraction of the cost.

I only buy white bath towels. They look nice for longer,can be bleached, and come out nice and clean, and you don't have to worry about the colors bleeding in the wash.

I have a Keurig coffee maker--but I spent 14.99 and bought the reusable pod that you can place your own coffee in. Totally worth it for the weeks when pods aren't on sale but coffee is!

I do not buy cold cuts ever. I will buy turkey london broil on sale and roast it in the oven, then slice it thin and keep it in the frig for our weekly lunch. And I never buy canned soup ever! Soup is so easy and relatively easy to make with basic staple items. And so much healthier too!!

This is a great post for money saving tips. I hope more people post!!

[This Message was Edited on 06/03/2011]
  4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Great ideas everyone!

Here's a few tips of mine:

I eat oatmeal instead of cereal. It's much cheaper, healthier and a lot less processed.

I also tend to buy some of my fruits and veggies frozen instead of fresh. It's much cheaper that way and usually fresher because they aren't sitting out so long. Some don't taste good frozen, but some actually taste better.

I also stock up on paper products and items that have a long shelf life (soup, peanut butter) when they go on sale and/or have coupon offers.

I buy books and greeting cards at dollar stores when possible. The selection isn't always great for these items, but it's definitely worth looking. Most greeting cards at dollar stores cost only 50 cents!

lgp, I'm going to try the Sunlight dish liquid. My hands are always so chapped. Thanks for the tip.

Have a happy/health day everyone,

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You guys have some great tips. Thank you for sharing. I also love the dollar store. We have one where everything is really $1 and no more. I use those 2000 Flushes tablets in my toilets to try to keep down the mold which grows up under the rim. They cost a fortune at other stores but are $1 at the dollar store.

When I had a family, I used stale bread to make the most delicious bread pudding. My kids loved it. I make fruit smoothies with my overripe bananas. I can't get them down when they are too ripe but they taste great mixed with other fruit. I dump some frozen fruit in my blender and throw in the ripe banana and, voila, something tasty.

I can remember when some credit cards for dept. stores were metal, kinda looked like military dog tags. Geez, at least, I'm not so old I can remember ones carved in stone like on the Flintstones. I charge everything and even have some of my bills payed automatically on my charge card. My other bills come out of my bank acct. automatically. That way, I only write one check a month to the credit card co. I pay mine in full every month so I don't have interest charges. I usually have enough reward points for a trip each year. Flying isn't fun amy more but when it's free, it's a little more fun :)

Thanks again for some great tips.

Love, Mikie
  6. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

My husb & I have been married for 32 years and I have saved all the birthday & holiday cards we gave to each other. The last 5 years or so I got the idea to re-use those cards. It has been fun, re-using a card that we gave one another early into our marriage and now using it too. We always have put the date on the back and quite often we signed the card with what other dog we had too.

I also keep 2 big zip locks bags in the freezer--mark one chicken & the other beef. So, anytime we have left over small pieces of meat, potatoes, veggies, rice, or gravy I add that to the bag. And when the chicken bag is full I make chicken soup; then start over again.

If you have important papers to keep and don;'t have a fire safe to use, put those papers in a zip lock bag and put in your freezer. Your freezer is the least one of your appliances to catch fire.

I keep I black magic marker on the shelf where I store my canned goods. I write on the top of the can with a marker the month & the year & bought the product. It helps to get keep you supplies rotated--so you eat the oldest stuff first.

[This Message was Edited on 07/04/2011]
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thank you. I would never have thought of using the freezer for a document safe. I do have one of the little fire safes, which also is water resistant (important in hurricane territory). My neighbor's house burned down but her little fire safe sealed itself and survived. I'm pretty sure the freezer would survive as well.

I usually like leftovers better than the main event. Think I'm coming to your house for dinner :)

BTW, your idea about the cards touched my heart. What a sweet idea and almost like a journal of your life together.

Love, Mikie
    [This Message was Edited on 07/04/2011]
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I was paying Verizon $75 a month for my cell phone; I no longer have a landline. I paid a little more for the TracFone on HSN but I get triple minutes for life. I don't make that many calls and I figure I will spend between $8 and $12 a month. Text messages only cost .3 minutes, or about three texts for a minute used. Pic text messages use 1 min. It's a touchscreen smart phone but I doubt I'll use those features as they really eat up minutes. This is about the best money-saving thing I've done lately. Now, if I could just figure out a way to save on my cable HD and fast computer hookup.

BTW, Virgin Phones has free cell phones and service for those who qualify. I think Some Walmarts have this. Their carrier is Sprint but I live close to a cell tower and Sprint doesn't work here.

Love, Mikie
  9. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

The idea using the freezer for important documents came from our very first insurance lady.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I was an insurance lady in my other life (before getting sick). It's a good business for women.

Thanks again for the tip.

Love, Mikie

11. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Jam and Rock - were you the ones that mentioned credit cards? They can cause such a paroblem. We have a couple and one that we use all the time for air miles. We use it for everything so get lots of miles but pay it off every month. However, I know theres can;t do that like one of our daughters and her husband. They are so bad with buying gadgets and such, put everything on their cards and pay something each month. We mentioned this to daughter but doubt anything will be done especially with her husband. He thinks he knows everythihg and like many of the young ones nowadays want everything NOW !!! I'm afraid they will be in a pickle one of these days soon. They needed a charge card like a hole in the head. Who knows how many games and movies they own. If anyone pays the minimum each time the purchase ends up not being worth it and you are in the hole.

Had problems also with some of the kids when they were in college with credit cards. I told them they could have one for emergenies but however, the term "emergency" seems to have a different definition. None of them should have one but somekids are worse than others. Those cc people have no business giving college people cards. Few know how to use them properly.

I love all your ideas. We have a safe too. I think I had heard about the freezer being used as one also.

We also buy lots of canned goods, paper products and things in bulk even if it is for the to of us. Luckily we have alot or a pretty good amount of storage space.

I know I used to use lots of coupons to in years past but not so much any more. If I think of anything else I'll add on.l Sorry I started a rant on credit cards. They can be wonderful if used correctly or a curse if misused.

Oh, my mom used to and I did too for a time when giving lots of christmas present - I used the picture (usually the front part) or the Christmas card to use on the Christmas presents instead of those little cards that say to and From whoever. Many are so festive. Just cut the top part off and discard the other part with the greeting and signature, etc.

Hugs to awl,

12. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Agree completely, Granni. Most people are too immature to have credit cards.
    Gordon's brother lives with us. He has bill collectors writing and calling. At
    the same time, he gets credit card offers in the mail. Such craziness, as my
    mother used to say.

Ever read the fine print on the "pre-approved" credit cards? It says they
    are not really pre-approved.

I like the tip on making Christmas package tags. I guess it's been a long time since
    I actually wrapped a package. I remember when pre-tied bows were invented.
    Circa 1960? Tried to look it up, but all I got was sites for archery, bow
    ties, how to tie a bow, etc.

Oh yeah, here's a good tip, and I wished I had followed it years ago:
    Do NOT lend people money.

13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There are apps in which you can scan items at the store and it will give you all the other stores in the area which carry it and the price.

My new TracFone is a smart phone but it uses minutes like crazy to ulitize any apps or web material so I don't use it for anything but making calls and sending texts. My daughter has an iPhone which does everything but make calls, seriously. I've heard that in crowded areas in large cities, you can listen to all the people swearing at the dropped calls on their iPhones.

The tablets are getting smaller and smaller and have wi-fi. I figure with the minutes I don't use on smart phone features, I could probably buy one. I don't see the need right now. I read that the big providers of phone service are no longer going to offer unlimited data service with their phone contracts. Too many people are using them all the time. I worry about the kids who have their noses in their phones and miss what is going on in the real world. I think, to them, the virual world is their real world. Yikes!

Love, Mikie
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I didn't realize they had put this next to my name. Yes, I happily agreed to help moderate the boards. As you may remember, I used to be a moderator some years back but had to give it up for lack of time when I went to work. This website and PH have given me so much that I am happy to give back in whatever capacity I can.

Love, Mikie
  15. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Congrats and good luck on becoming moderator again. I know you will do a great job! So glad to see you back after your absence !

Love ya,
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate you kind good wishes. It is good to be back even if the reason is because I now have time since I can no longer work. Sometimes, when I'm feeling really sick, I say a little prayer of gratitude that I don't have to go to work and can rest and relax in comfort at home. It's a silver lining but I've found that silver linings are what keep us going sometimes.

Our members here are old friends, and new ones too. I enjoy everyone here so much.

Love, Mikie
  17. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I know you will do an excellent job! Good choice Prohealth!!

18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

How sweet! I really appreciate your kindness.

Love, Mikie