What are your experiences with saunas?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by place, May 30, 2006.

1. place

place New Member

Why are saunas good for you?

I under stand the detox in sweating but could it be that it raises the body temp? Doesn’t the body, when with the flu, raise the body temp to kill off what has invaded our bodies or is it that our bodies are working so hard that the energy used to kill of the invaders increase our temp?

What has been everyone’s experience with them, is it worth it to get a gym membership for the access to them?
  2. diva42597

diva42597 New Member

For me...it is completely and totally worth the price of a gym membership for the sauna. I cannot exercise without being in excruciating pain without sitting in the sauna for about 10 minutes or so. I'm not sure why they work, but trust me, they do. The best time to hit the sauna is when your muscles start to seize right before a really bad episode. It really just relaxes them and makes them actually stop seizing. Most things just hault it for a bit and then the muscles continue later, but the sauna, for me, stops the whole process. It also allows me to realign my back...my biggest trouble spot. I find if my spine and neck are aligned properly I feel much better, but the constant spasms make that difficult. I hope this helps!
  3. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I can't use them. Tried a course at the local spa/sauna facility and they were too severe for me - even only about 5 minutes - I was soooooo sick.

However, with my hot flushing maybe I am getting a sauna without even trying.

I would suggest you get a trial and see how you go before you make a big financial commitment. They may suit you and a trial would let you know.
    Different things help different people.
  4. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

Yes, hot flashes = hot flushing. I think it just depends what country you live in.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/02/2006]