What are your favorite childhood memories?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tata1580, Aug 1, 2006.

1. tata1580

tata1580 New Member

My mind sometimes has to go some place other than the things I did not get done today...how bad I hurt...or bills that need to paid..why are the kids doing that?

I have several memories that I hold very dear..and some that just make me laugh..

I have a sister and brother both younger than myself..Our mother is all of 5 ft tall...one winter saturday she needed to run to town so off we went in our old 57 chevy (which I would love to have again)...I stray sometimes...we drove to the town square and she whipped into the middle parking area..we were all setting in the back seat. Mom got out of the car and told us to be good and she would be back in one minute (which you could do back then) she closed her door and she disapeared..there was a thin layer of ice on the pavement..as soon as she shut the door and let go of it she slipped completley under the car...the look on my baby brothers face was priceless..
    we all looked at each other in shock and when her head popped back up with her hair mussed up, for some reason it all seemed really funny!!

she laughs about it now...not sure she was laughing that day!

How about you all...any tales..precious memories you would care to share?

Tami
  2. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I dont have any specific ones. I just remember Christmas time as a child. All of the excitement and quality family time.

I wish I were that young again. But then again, Im not that old! My boyfriend is always teasing me saying that i wish I were a child. It is true!

Stephanie
  3. MsE

MsE New Member

It was winter and cold. Snow covered everything. One night after my little brother and I had gone to bed, my dad opened my door and told me to get up and get dressed right away. I did as I was told. My brother had been given the same message.

When we walked into the living room, my dad said to put on our snowsuits and boots. My mom was already bundled up in a warm coat. We did as we were told, wondering what was going on. This had never happened before.

Then my folks took us outside where an extra-long sled was waiting. We all walked out onto the quiet street, and my dad and mom pulled my brother and me for blocks as flakes of snow began drifting down upon us. It was magical and I'll never forget the night my dad took us on a walk in a winter wonderland.
  4. kriket

kriket New Member

are with my dad. He always took my brother and I somewhere every year on vacation. We used to go camping and fishing a lot too. These are the times that I remember the most.

Kriket
  5. suzetal

suzetal New Member

When my Grandmother would be waiting for us after school with her sled .

We would run and put our snow suits on.We lived a top a very big hill.( The street was the hill).

All the kids in the neighbor hood would come out with there sleds .

Well Meme would say let the races begin.We would all line up at top the hill.Meme would lay on her belly than I my sister and brother would lay belly down on top of her.

We never lost a race the weight made us go fast.The funny part was when my Grandfather would park his car at the base of the hill so that they would not sand it.The two of them truly enjoyed when we had fun.

By the way my Meme was in her late 60's when she did tis.What a woman she was.

Sue
  6. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I guess over the last several years I find myself looking for memories .My parents and several family have passed away and I at times just really miss them and will search my memories for comfort.

One of my favorite memories is laying on my bed in a house we lived in that was very old. My bed was by the huge window and on a warm day ,I'd open my window cause we didn't have ac .I could smell the roses and Lilac bushes.

They smelled soooooo good .They do not grow them like that anymore .If I close my eyes and meditate I can smell them again. :) These were very large red roses and very purple lilacs still my favorite memories.
  7. jake123

jake123 New Member

I grew up in Honolulu, not in the city, but up in the mountains at the top of a hill. My dad would be driving down the hill and would say Oh no the brakes are gone! We're gonna crash but at the last moment he would pull in at our friends house. They had a five-finger fruit tree and my friend and I would pull one off and sit on the porch and talk. My dad would trade fresh fish for fresh eggs with her dad.
  8. tata1580

tata1580 New Member

making me misty....

StephieBee...it was great to be a kid a christmas time..I can remember I just loved looking at the tree with all the gifts under it..it was just beautiful. My mother had for several years one of those old stick silver tree (she loved it) but it had a color wheel that went with it..and we would lay under the tree for hours and watch the colors change.

MsE...your sled ride feels magical just to get to read about it..I can picture it..Thank you for sharing.

Prickles..I have a grand son who is now 3 1/2 he lived with us from right before he was 2 till about 3 and our deal was we would look for jet tails in the sky..he would say da'ma look..look at all those jet tails..I hope when he gets older that he remembers that like you do your hot air balloons...That is something that will always keep your folks right to your heart!!

9. tata1580

tata1580 New Member

Kricket....when you went on your camping and fishing trips did you ever catch a bigger fish than your brother and piss him right off? Just wondering...mine would fold his arms up in front of him and pout!!

Suzetal..You Meme sounds like a hoot!! What a woman in deed..and what a memory for you to share..thank you

Carebelle...You are right smells can take you any where..mine is good fried chiken..it will take me right to my grandmother's every sunday after noon for some of the best memories that I have.

Jake123....wow..Honolulu..sounds like such a beautiful place to grow up..and such fun...I have to play the dumb card again..what is a five finger fruit tree? I do not think I have ever heard of this before!
  10. jjdg

jjdg New Member

oldest son,thats what i will tell everyone,we did everything together,he taught me to fish, hunt, build stuff,i was his oldest daughter but always a tomboy.he knew i loved it in the Allegany Mts of PA. so sometimes my mom would get a big basket packed and say we are picking dad up at work and low and behold after we did we would go the 8hrs(no big hwys then)to the mountains,if it was my birthday we would always stop at the Log Cabin Resturant for their Honey fried Chicken mmmmmm,then continue to Potter County Pa. To "mrs. Andersons" motel and restaurant,we loved it there she made the best burgers and cookies,and donuts everything was home made and grown there too
    we would sometimes get together with a couple families whose dads hunted with mine every year at Mrs. Anderson,and all us families would go and stay and have sooooo much fun.In 1964 i went to live with Mrs anderson as a foster home,she saved my life and taught me so much about the motel and restaurant business that in 1977 my husband and i bought a motel in the Fla. Keys!! thank you Carl and Blanche Anderson and God bless you always.Janet
  11. tata1580

tata1580 New Member

Thank you all for responding..I just love thinking about someting else every once in awhile besides this DD

Mayline....Not one thing in the world with feeling spoiled with your dad, what a wonderful memeory..keep holding those memories tight..I looked at you bio..what a beautiful lady!

Livinlife...Sorry for the loss of your father but I know what you mean..I lost my dad last Aug and those last few weeks are very precious especially when it was just him and I..and when he took his last breath I had my hand on his heart and felt its last beat..I would not change that for anything..

Lauralea123...Ice cream does sound good huh? So when you see McDonald's now does it bring this memory back to you? funny how some places, things and smells do that..
    thanks for sharing the memory!!

12. tata1580

tata1580 New Member

OMG...what a great story..and it is one of those for every thing there is a reason huh? That one made me a little misty too!
  13. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

What a wonderful thread!

I remember my mother playing piano at night while we kids were going to sleep. Even today I love to hear her play. She has 2 CDs out and I have both of them. (Of course!!)

Christmas was also special. My mother was very artsy/craftsy. There was always a new piece. She did one that was piece-work with construction paper on a bulletin board. It was of the Three Wise Men. She called it her 3 Wise Guys. LOL She also did 3 trees of paper roses on styrofoam cones. When the red and green colors faded she painted them gold. They were so beautiful! And my father made a straw star every year. He strung straws together to make a 3D star. We loved it too!

My father used to take us kids out on the weekends. One kid per weekend. He took me to Fort McHenry, the Smithsonian museums, the Constellation clippership...all kinds of things like that. It was great quality time that most kids didn't get back in the 60's.

I have many memories of my childhood. Most of them with my family are good. Thanks for the thread...or should I say "thanks for the memories"? LOL

God Bless.
  14. jjdg

jjdg New Member

thank you for the responce! i have very many memeories of my dad and i and a couple of things i use to do to my mom to make her pee her pants!we would go to Woolworths back in the late 50's early 60's we could spend all day ther and maybe not buy a thing,we really were there for the banana splits!! they had ballons that you would pop to see what you would pay for the split,the splits were only 99c,but you could pop a ballon and get one for a penny.But before we would eat she would be looking at stuff and i'd go to the wigs and hats and put them on and go stand next to her she didnt reconize me and i would start a coversation and i'd make funny faces and she would relize then who i was and start laughing till she peed her pants,and we couldn't get a split so I learned to do that after we ate i would always say i was soooo hungry for a split and luckily she loved them too.janet
  15. blessedmom2four

blessedmom2four New Member

wasnt much of a child hood.

my best memories were when my mom and dad were still together, and my mom was actually a mom...

baked cookies did slumber parties and all the things functional families do
  16. kriket

kriket New Member

I can relate to your best memories, that would have been the other half to my best memories, I just did not say it. Know what you mean exactly.

Kriket
  17. JLH

JLH New Member

It sounds strange, but I can't remember any really pleasant ones!

I think your childhood and teenage years are the worst years of your life -- all of the cruel comments from other kids, bullies, social cliques, etc.

My life did not begin until I graduated from high school. That's when I got a job, started having a lot of fun, meeting a lot of guys, etc.

The older I became, the better life got (even if I did develop fibro and lupus as a young child).

Janet
    [This Message was Edited on 08/01/2006]
  18. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

times I spent with my Grandmother and Grandfather!

I had a very sad childhood..........my grandparents took turns letting my sister, brother and I spend the weekends with them.................

Every third weekend was my turn.......and my Grandmother was so nice and patient.......she spent so much time with me and showing me how much she loved me...........she never got mad at me..........and was always over joyed to see me!

Those were the best times of my childhood...........and that is one of the reasons why I want so much to have my grandson "Cohen" in my life.........so I can give him some of the happiest memories in his life!

I want him to be able to look back at his life and know how much I loved him!!!!!!!!!!!!

XO
    Doxy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/01/2006]
  19. jjdg

jjdg New Member

hello,the strangest thing happened last nite.I wrote telling you about my best memories living with my faster parents,wheeellll, my tv started acting up and i had to call adelphia,the customer service person and i got talking because where i had called was Coulderspot Pa.,which is where my 1st 2 kids were born and only afew miles from my foster home,anyway i mentioned that i use to live there in Burtville,at the ABC Motel,which was the name of my f.parents place,well he said that he eats breakfast there every morning!!!we talked about how it hasn't changed in all theses years so i told him next time he eats there before he leaves to go to the last 2 motel rooms and see if my nme is still in the concrete,when all the families were there we helped build the last 2 units and we all wrote our names,i couldn't believe what a strange thing to have happened!janet
    [This Message was Edited on 08/02/2006]
  20. tata1580

tata1580 New Member

Wow...that is so cool!!! Just goes to show you that there is a reason for everything!!! I am very anxious to see what happens next..

Keep me informed..I am so glad that this is happening, exciting day for you!

Tami