What are your Hobbies?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by monica33flowers, Jan 22, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

What is everyone's hobbies here on the board? I absolutely love gardening but since I live in WI it isn't something I can do year round.

I recently thought about making my own candles and soap. I love candles and I spend a small fortune on them so I thought, what the heck, I might as well give it a try.

Since all of us are so limited in what we can do I thought it would be interesting to see what we CAN do.

2. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I'm really into horses, but i don't have the energy to really sustain any serious horse activities anymore.

Besides hugging and kissing soft velvet noses. I soooo miss being active!!

I started knitting about a year ago with support and help from Georgia. That's been fun, i love to read, and write alittle bit when my brain will function.

I also think making soap would be really fun, have looked at how to books, but haven't tried it yet.

I guess my family takes up alot of my time with all the school works and stuff.

3. sisland

sisland New Member

Monica~~~ got into the soap making thing last winter and still enjoy it alot,,,But found that the price of the ingredients to make it far exceed the price to just buy a bar,,,or liquid,,,,

The Melt and pour method into molds is the route i took!,,,plus you have to get all the smelly oils and packaging,,,,,,Don't get me wrong it's fun!,,,but pricey!,,,,,,,I also love to Bake,,,,Sew,,,,,Read,,,,and Shop on e-bay!,,,,Sis
  4. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I love to bowl and was on a legue for a while last year, but......well you know the rest of the story......FATIGUE!

I am also an avid arrowhead hunter and have a collection way to large to count....over 1000 artifacts intact.

Morningsonshine.....I too am an avid equestrianne. I just finished training a mustang back in the summer but I got injured and had to send him back home. At least he was almost finished. The photo of you on your QH with your mustang is great.
  5. gardengirl12

gardengirl12 New Member

I love to garden but the season is so shot here .I got into
    soap makeing and make bath salts from herbs i grow .boy oh boy does my house smell great to .i also do silk rose petels diped in soap they are so prett on the bath room vanity and smell great.

i love cooking and baking and makeing up new resepies
    i love going to antique stores and getting old furniture and refinishing it .A friend of mine bought a old dresser and wanted to make it into a bathroom vanity so i refinished it to a cottage style and it had hand carved roses on it and i hand painted them in pastels

I also like to buy old chandelliers and remake them into candel chandelliers .when i have so many i sell them
    it is fun tranforming old in to new

well these are a few of my fav things the list can go on and on Linda
  6. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I love most anything that I can do with my hands.

I love fine furniture carpentry, but haven't done it in awhile.

I make banners for my church. I also do the designing of the banners.

Chrismons for the Church's Christmas tree. I make them out of beads (fake pearls).

I make doggie coats. Some are out of fleece, others are made with yarn. I love to crochet too.

I made a throw away one for Halloween for my dog' that was out of felt.

7. fivesue

fivesue New Member

It's something I've taken up as I've aged. Have time now. Eager to move and start a new garden.

I love to read. I love cats and love reading about them.

I love basketball...viewing it, that is. My granddaughter is a wonderful player. It was my favorite game in high school, but there were no girl's sports when I was young except in PE.

I love to travel in our RV. Such fun. Expect to do more now that DH is retiring in just a couple days!

Love playing cards. Fun.

Monica, my grandmother used to make soap...she saved all her bacon fat and other stuff to use. Always made me ill to look at the mess. She made root beer once...tasted AWFUL!

Good post. Thanks for a light topic.

8. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Learning to fly. (I doubt it if I can get a private pilot's certificate because of the medical. Don't see being able to ditch pain and sleep meds yet.)

Bicycle riding.

Hiking, camping, sight seeing, travel.

I used to fabric paint, scrapbook, ribbon embroidery, etc but lost interest.
  9. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

Hi Monica,
    My hobbies are
    writing poetry
    making jewelry
    hunting stuff on ebay..

Hugzzzzzz GigglePoet
  10. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I have a long list'

Crocheting - I love to make small throws, baby blankets, scarfs, etc.

Baking Cupcakes and letting husband decorate them. During the holidays I was baking dozens every night and taking them to the nursing home, doctor's office, etc.

Bathbombs - these are fun to make and use.

Oil painting - I love to paint but need to take lessons.

Digital photography - I just bought a 12 mega pixel small camera. I am spending hours taking hundreds of pictures just to get a few great photos. (right now I am sick because I spent hours taking photos at the beach this week-end. It was sooooo cold as the sun went down but I just could not leave.

Rubber Stamping and making my own cards for birthdays, etc.

My husband has also started making cards and is much better than me.

Collecting art glass and different old glass kitchenware. I love colored glass and have many old vases of all colors.

Collecting books on all subjects, including crocheting and painting. I have collected rare books, some dating back to 1700's. It is interesting reading a American history book printed in 1810. Also have complete set of the pictorial history of the civil war.

Genealogy - I belong to ancestry.com - spent years researching my family history. I have enjoyed sharing the information with other family members. I was lucky to have a second cousin who is a professional genealogist to help.

I want to learn to quilt and have collected alot of fabrics. When at the craft store if I see a fabric I love I buy a few yards.

Collecting Japanese Netsuke carvings over past 15 yrs.

Collecting early California plein art paintings. I find these at art and antique shows.

I recently made a craft room and have everything in one place. I love to go in and look at the mess. When I go to organize the room I always wind up sitting down reading a book or getting into a project.
  11. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

My baby kitty kat that I'm absolutely ridiculously silly about!!! I spoil her wonderful!

I collect rocks and minerals. Absolutely love my crystals.

I make jewelry. Beading. Some of it pretty nice, if I do say so myself. And I do. :)

I like to read. Non-fiction, metaphysical, self-help (I need a lotta work!).

I read tarot for friends and also for clients in addition to working full time.

Love and hugs.

12. honeybell

honeybell New Member

My hobbies are varied and like most others here, depend on how I'm feeling! :)

Gardening....about to put in 8 new veggie beds for spring (okay, DH is actually doing the "put in" part)...we are doing square foot gardening this year.

Rock collecting (we don't have many in FL, so I love to bring them home from our travels)

Politics and "stalking" elections!

Choosing a subject interesting to me and researching it online

P.S. I've been thinking it would be fun to make soap, too! Think I'll start researching!

[This Message was Edited on 01/31/2008]
  13. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I love to paint, it used to be more furniture and walls, but since FM I paint more on canvas than any other surface.

I sew, I garden..when the snow is gone! I love to cook when I have the energy.

I read some, when I can concentrate.

I spend time online doing lots of things, including maintaining friendships when the FM doesnt allow me to go out.

Suzan( aka Kipper)
  14. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I have loved to handiwork. I( have crocheted (want to begin again with that fuzzy8 yard to make scarves), counted cross stitch, embroidering, regular cross stitch, ----always had something going.

I used to love to garden - veggies, lots of them, and beautiful flowers. I just can not get down on my knees (and expect to get up again) anymore. Dozens of books of bent and wiggly word searches, played oboe in community band and read lots and lots of books.

The only time I get to visit with friends is at our morning coffee group, and during fellowship time after cnurch.

I used to can and freeze foods, usually 200 qt a summer. That has gotten old now - .

i am blank on others. Will come back if I think of more.

Oh yes, I LOVED TO COOK AND BAKE. I did family receipes, cooked for all of our family on holidays and wished no help, made many, many kinds of cookies and candies at Christmas.I would go out to the kitchen and look at my books and see what I could fix today. I loved it!!!!![This Message was Edited on 02/02/2008]
  15. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I absolutely loved playing softball.
    Coaching softball
    Walking my dog
  16. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I like to keep orchids and I have started to collect beautiful hand blown glass perfume bottles and ornaments.

I'm going to try to get going with my garden with DH's help this year - I'm reading up about different plants and flowers I can have.

Love Bunchy x
  17. greygodess

greygodess New Member

puzzles of all kinds
    very interested in wildlife