What Are Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KittyCat, Oct 18, 2005.

1. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

Hi Everyone,

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, depression/anxiety in early 2004. I resigned from my job in January 2005 because I just couldn't manage working anymore due to the above-mentioned conditions. This month I decided to apply for SSDI because we really are struggling due to the loss of my income. I was told by a good friend that is on SSDI that it is better NOT to have the help of an attorney until I've been denied. An attorney I spoke to that specializes in SSDI cases, said my chances are better if I let him help me now. I am so confused and I don't know what to do. I know attorneys aren't free and they will take a chunk of my funds IF I am approved. What has been your experiences? Is it better to go with a SSDI Attorney NOW or wait until I am denied, then get the attorney??

Help!

Thank you so much.
  2. Grandma6

Grandma6 New Member

I wish I had the answer for you but I'm one of the rare ones because my sister brought papers home for me to apply for SSDI and I had to go to a doctor of their choosing, a shrink came to the house and talked to me for about 5 mins, my doctor had to send them info and the next thing I knew there was a big deposit in my checking account from them. I got this before they ever called me and told me. But what most people have told me that the reason I had no problems is because of the report my doctor sent. Everyone says the most important thing that gets you approved is detailed records from your doctor. I was sent the report my doc sent them and it was amazing how detailed he was and he put it very bluntly that there was no way I could work. Now every once in awhile I will get a notice from them saying it is time to re-evaluate me and I fill out the form and then from what I'm told they contact my doctor and then I'll get a letter saying I am still approved.

I know there are many who have to fight for years to get approved and I've heard that the government has a limit of how much an attorney can take for fighting for someone who is applying for SSDI but I'm not sure what it is. But I know they can't take as much of a percentage as on other type of cases.

Hopefully someone will respond to you that has gone through more of a detailed proceedure than I.

Good Luck,
    Grandma6
  3. Grandma6

Grandma6 New Member

I didn'teven think to tell you to go to the disablity area at the top of this board and click. There is a ton of info there.

Grandma6
  4. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

Thanks so much Grandma6. I will check out that link you mentioned. Thanks also for your input!

KittyCat