What Book(s) Have You Read More Than Once or Twice?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by alearner, May 2, 2009.

1. alearner

alearner New Member

Hi:) Could you please share with me the titles of books that you like/enjoy or get something from..... so much that you have read them more than once.

Some friends and I are trying to put together a list of such books. For some people they may be the "classics", for others the book may be a nice place to escape to, or a mystery to be solved. Perhaps your book makes you laugh... or cry..... or want to be a better person. It might really stertch your brain, your imagination or just be a pleasant way to kill some time while traveling.

If you could provide the Title, the Author's Name, and perhaps a note about why you like it so much that would be helpful.

Thanks we appreciate the help and are curious to find out what is on your shelf.

2. bct

bct Active Member

Author: Virginia Woolf
    Books: The Waves
    The Years
    To the Lighthouse

I've read each of these several times, and look forwards to reading them again. I can't say why, but they are just right for me.

Good Reading,
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

So here is the quickie version....

'Expecting Adam' by Martha Beck.

'Confederacy of Dunces' by John Kennedy Toole.

"Dragonsong' and 'Dragonsinger' by Anne McCaffrey.

'Little Women' (unabridged) by Louisa May Alcott.

'Rilla of Ingleside' of the Anne of Green Gables series by L. M. Montgomery.

'The Memorial Hall Murder' by Jane Langton. (Homer Kelly series of mysteries.)

'Die for Love' by Elizabeth Peters. (Jacqueline Kirby character mysteries.)

'Cheaper By The Dozen' and 'Belles On Their Toes' by Frank B. Gilbreth and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey.

'Auntie Mame' by Patrick Dennis (pseudonym).

Lots of comfort reading there!
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I know there must be other books I have read more than once but the only one that comes to mind at the moment is "To Kill A Mockingbird".

Does it count if you start reading a book and you realize after several pages, you have read it before? Especially things like mysteries. I have also done that with movies but not the ones that are currently playing in the theaters, LOL!!!

5. Toga

Toga Member

I've read many books more than once but this is the most recent. And I think I'll read it again for the third time.

It made me cry and laugh. It was wonderful. If you love children and the way they interpret life, you'll love this book.

6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Here are some that come to mind for me:

Huckleberry Finn, especially the first half.

Talking to the Ground, by Douglas Preston. About a horseback journey with his wife and step-daughter across the Navajo Nation.

Blood and Thunder, by Hampton Sides. Incredible book about Kit Carson, the Santa Fe Trail, and the Navajo in New Mexico.

To Kill a Mockingbird. I've read it several times.

Into the Wild, John Krakauer. Sad, but simply one of my favorite books.

Desert Solitaire and The Monkey Wrench Gang, Edward Abbey. More of my all-time favorites.

Ceremony, Leslie Silko. Difficult in places, but a remarkable book.

7. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

There's a series of books by Patrick F. McManus that I think are very funny, & have read more than once. Of course, humor is subjective. But it's a good light-hearted read.
  8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I read "Whistling In The Dark" several months ago. I enjoyed it. Interesting mystery from a child's perspective. But the book is more than just the mystery.

KJM, "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" I read that a long time ago and may read it again.

[This Message was Edited on 05/04/2009]
  9. springwater

springwater Active Member

Most of the Anne of Green gables series by Lucy M Montgomery

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Airport- Arthur hailey

God Bless