What brings on a Flare-Up?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lolalee, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Hello everyone, I have had FMS and CFIDS for about 8 years. There are times when I feel poorly and then times when I feel really terrible. I am trying to determine what makes my symptoms worse so that I can avoid these things if possible. I was wondering what other people with these illnesses feel brings on a "flare". I would appreciate it if you would share your experience with me. My triggers are cold, damp weather, too much socializing (which simply means one dinner party, no alcohol), shopping, housework, cooking a large meal.

Thanks for sharing.

Lolalee
  2. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

with cold weather, bad posture, not enough rest & too much time on my feet.

I have started to want to stay home more often during the evenings. I still go to school activities and family events but I don't like to go out socializing any more. I feel like I will pay for it for days afterward. It used to only be this way when I drank but now I don't even drink. I guess socializing is one of the things I've started to give up (I'm 33) when I have the choice. How sad it that???? No wonder I have so few close friends!

Kelly
    [This Message was Edited on 12/19/2005]
  3. KJH_10

KJH_10 New Member

My flare-ups happen mostly when it is cold, rapid change in temperature, wet, when I am really exhausted, or sometimes a flare-up happens for no reason at all. A lot of people have mentioned alcohol causing flare-ups, so far I have been able to drink alcohol(actually this seems to help),although I only drink one or 2 times a month. Hope this helps!
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Lolalee,
    Most of the things that bring on a flare for me are physical things, like lifting heavy items, turning my head all the way and leaving it like that to speak to someone, that kind of physical stuff.

That causes me more problems than just the weather and temps.

I have gotten into this bad habit of clenching my teeth and it is causing me to have my face hurt and jaws. I need to stop this, but I don't seem to be able to.

Hugs,
    Faye
  5. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Right now my whole life is one big flare!

I do good while sleeping but...then I wake up.lol

Stress
    operations
    stress!lol
    medical tests
    stress
    family problems I can't fix
    saying NO
    Holidays and being bedridden at the time
    walking, sitting, laying down
    showering
    old man winter and all the ice I live in Idaho it's cold.

Not in good shape nowdays (body wise).lol

I'm ok and in the Christmas spirit-but this old body of mine isn't it kickin' and screamin'.lol

Happy Holidays,
    Dee50
  6. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

Mine are very closely related to my spine. It was a cervical(neck) surgery that brought on the fibro for me. So, anything that causes my back or neck to be out of whack can guarantee a flare for me! Lifting, bending, pushing, pulling, etc. too heavy, too long, too much, all of the above.

Plus, emotions, being too tired, fighting off a bug, weather changes, and being stressed. Not many things that DON'T cause them for me, I guess, huh??

Luckily, they're not usually brought on by anything that I eat or drink. Hope that helps you. PG
  7. hartogold

hartogold New Member

Between reading the posts here and my own experiences, I would have to say "ALL OF THE ABOVE".

There are so many things that affect everyone's bodies differently. I wish I could narrow it down, but it seems like everytime I have one it's different.

Like this last and worse one which feels like I'll never feel better again. It struck in late August. I have not consumed any alcohol since August 31st, so I know it's not that. Matter of fact, I'm wondering if drinking was easing my pain.

My mom passed 8/15 (which I've been expecting for over 18 months), I have three injuries that are going to require surgeries (the first one within the next month), I lost over 100 pounds in the last 18 months, I had major surgery in 2004, financial problems (because of becoming disabled), I have bi-polar disorder which has also flared because as we know pain and depression are good friends.

This time it feels like it's here to stay and my pain level is never below a 5-6 (most of the time it's an 8). I'm on very strong pain meds because of this combined with my injuries and the pain they cause. My surgeon has been putting off my shoulder surgery because of the amount of pain I've been experiencing with my FMS. He doesn't think I can handle the pain of both. He's been hoping the flare will calm down, but it's been 3 1/2 months and my shoulder (and other surgeries) can't wait any longer.

Anyway, bless all of us and help us learn how to deal with this horrible monster. At least we have each other and that is a great blessing to me.
    Hugs,
    Sandy

8. libra55

libra55 New Member

Stress

Stress

and more stress.

It's that simple. My life is very stressful all the time. I have a bipolar husband and an autistic teenager and I have Crohn's in addition to FM. so I have it coming at me all the time. And I notice my big time flare ups happen when all h**l breaks loose in my family life.

I'm working very hard on stress management.

Michelle
  9. Solaris_Starr

Solaris_Starr New Member

Lolalee,

What doesn't bring on a flare is more the question. Just thinking to hard will bring it on. Standing to long, walking to far, sitting to long, forcing or any exertion, bending forward, carrying bags in each hand, lifting, raising my arms above my head, getting emotional, getting angry, STRESS, STRESS, and yes....STRESS. Smells, sounds, bright lights, alcohol, caffine, my ex-husband! My kids, (all teenagers), my middle son is going through a very rough teenage hood, (drugs, alcohol, stealing and getting in trouble with police...ect) STRESS, there are times, I just want to lock the door, close all the lights, take the phone off the hook and pretend I'm not here.....for about 6 months!!!!

I have thought of running away, somewhere with perfect weather and peace and quiet, away from all stress. Weather is a major stressor and brings on a flare, big time!

Anyone know where I can run away to..........can I hide in anyones closet for awhile?

Hugs
    Sandy
  10. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

This was the first time that I have posted on this website and it has really been good to read all of your quick responses. And yes...they have all been helpful. Stress is a major trigger....I think that it's the worst for me because my setbacks seem to last longer when stress is the cause. Also, I think socializing is difficult because it requires that we pay attention to conversations and there are often a lot of external stimuli involved, i.e. noise, lights, fragrances (perfume; scented candles). I feel better when I stay home and rest. This Christmas I have decided to really simplify and just making the decision to take care of me has helped.

I never dreamed I would end up with such a horrible illness. I figured that at the age of 56 I'd be working and still going strong. My 87 year old father gets around better than I do.

Bless you all and thanks again for your responses. It is good to know that I am not alone in my suffering
  11. Musica

Musica New Member

for sure, so no wonder the recent freezing fog we've had has been miserable! Also, I just found that if I keep pushing myself when I get exhausted - that's NOT a good thing AT ALL. Pace yourself, but especially listen to your body - if you start getting tired, STOP before things get too bad. Also, not getting enough sleep will cause me to feel a lot worse for at least the next day.