What can cause a pregnant test to be a false-positive ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dee50, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I was talking with a girl friend last night. She hurt her foot and doctors needed to put a pin in it. Well her blood work came back that she was pregnant. She had cancer a few years ago and they remove all her female parts and she has lived alone for 9 years! No dating nothing. Has anyone deal with this before? I know this is not a CF or FM thing but I thank you for any information you might have.
    Dee50
  2. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

Don't know why, but my daughter had two false positives last year.

When I was pregnant with my twins (22Yrs ago) I had false negatives for 3 months that I knew I was pregnant. Sure enough I was!

Maia
  3. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Thanks for answering!I've never heard of this not in blood work. Sooo strange. Guess they never told your daughter why either.
    Dee50
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

hi there dee,

i had a false positive several times, when i was younger.

i found out when i was almost 16 going in for surgery for a hernia, back thenin the early eighties they kept you over night before surgery.

well they wheeled me down to radiaolgy to do an untrasound, lady asked if i knew why i was having this down i was naive siad i guessed to locate the hernia.

well they sent me home that day, dr came in told my mother that my urine test cam out positive for preganancy and he had to do an internal examine before he dcould proceed. and the ultrasound looked as if i had an ovarian cyst on my left ovary. well i did.

also they had to order a blood test and was told that would be conclusive.

well turned out that i wasn't pregnant. my mother asked if i had ever , i lied said no.

then whenever i did get pregnant my body told me so first and the tests took for ever to indicate that i was. and i would have to demand a blood test for the positive to show up.

well it is hormonal testing. that sums up your answer i think.

hugs

jodie
  5. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

slight abnormalities in the testing supplies a false posative can turn up. With OTC tests a transfer of any substance to the test strip can cause a false reading. Temperature also plays a small role.
    Most pregnancy tests look for one particular hormone that the body produces a few days after conception. This hormone is present in all women but is supposed to only be sercreted when pregnant. Some women produce this hormone even without being pregnant. The cases are few but it does happen.
    One of my girl friends was desperatly trying to become pregnant. She tried for a couple of years and was getting very upset. One month she took an OTC test and it read that she was pregnant. She was over joyed at the news. When her OBGYN did a blood test it came back not pregnant. Her doc said this was common in women who were very emotionally involved in trying to conceve. Sometimes the body will tell us what we want to hear. In her case she actually secreted the hormone that indicates pregnancy even though she was not.
    Good news, she became pregnant for real only three months later.
    Hugs,
    A
  6. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I guess it's not a big deal but it's so strange that even after she had everything removed years before. The sad thing is that because of the positive tests doctors would not give her pain pill ect... and treated her as if she was pregnant.
    Thanks again
    Dee50
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...as Backporchrags indicated.

My daughter was about 6 when she had symptoms of a minor bladder infection & had a urine test at the doctor's office---the testing strip showed strongly that she had Hepatitis. They repeated the test, same thing. Then the doctor, who was skeptical, tested his nurses & receptionist---guess what, they ALL had hepatitis! He disposed of the whole box of testing supplies, contacted the manufacturer, etc. (He did do blood work on my daughter to positively eliminate the possibility of hepatitis).

But faulty supplies & testing strips can occur for whatever reason!

Pam
  8. matthewson

matthewson New Member

How old is this woman. If she is over 40, than it could be slightly positve because of hormones. The range for positive is anything over 5. Mine came back 5 before I had my hysterectomy and I was already through menopause. Also, there are some cancers that can cause the pregnancy test to appear positive. I would have to look them up.

The Dr.s would normally look into this further. It is not an FMS/CFS thing.

Take care, Sally

9. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

She is now paying her own Doctor bills. As this is a workmans comp. injury.
    Pam d
    I wish this was faulty testing supplies but I think it's something else. Thanks for the imformation thats intresting that all the strips were bad!!!
    Matthewson:
    The idea that the cancer may be back is going to scare my friend but I hope she looks into it. She is over 40 and looks very bad to me. She is not getting good health care treatment and now that she has to pay for it herself with a foot that she can hardly work on...well I'm praying for her. She does like her foot doctor and I hope he looks into this more.
    I want to thank every one that posted to this. I know its not a CF/FM thing. Not yet anyway.
    Dee50
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2005]