**What can I do for my chronic achyness?**

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by razorqueen, Aug 24, 2005.

1. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I am at about whits end. I ach ALL the time! I don't know what else to do! I take 1.25mg clonazapam and 10mg of amitriptilyne at bedtime. I take Tylenol 3 and Advil for pain, but it often doesn't help.
    Lots of moist heat, trying 024, used lots of lotions etc. I am aslo now on Bcomplex-100 and pantothenic acid-500mg and 1 Jarro-dopholus. Was achy before starting this new stuff. HELP!!
    Raz
  2. elsa

elsa New Member

Hi Raz,

I'm sorry you feel so bad. I have a wonderful book my doctor had me by as soon as he diagnosed me. The title is
    "Stretching" and it's by Bob Anderson. It is the 20th anniversary , revised edition.

It has everything from very, very basic stretching to more advanced yoga techniques. It is illustrated and very easy to understand.

Besides the everyday stretching, they have sections of stretching for gardening, house cleaning, computer work ,etc. in addition to the multi-discipline sports/activities sections.

Once I got a handle on the stretches that benefit me the most, I was able to get it done in no time at all. Personally though, I really like doing it and the way stretching feels, so I try to take my time and follow up with a hot soak.

It really has been helpful to me. Nothing gets rid of the aches all the way, but my tramadol/advil ( sometimes flexeril ) stretching and bath tubs have helped.

Good luck .... I hope you feel better,

Elsa

P.S. I got my copy at Barnes and Noble for $14.95 ... it was worth the cost to me ...
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Have you tried a 'mattress heating pad', it fits under the sheet and gives out a very gentle heat, wonderful for the FM pain.

I sleep on a Cuddle Ewe on top of my mattress, then the mattress heating pad on top of the Cuddle Ewe. Its like sleeping in a cocoon, you can also use a Featherbed. We need softness next to our bodies, and the gentle heat to for the pain.

Something else that works good, is a bath in;

3 cups of Epson Salts (magnesium sulfate)
    3 bottles of Peroxide (32. ounce size)

In a tub of water as warm as you can stand. Soak for 20 minutes only. After the bath you will feel weak for about half an hour, so go to bed for that amount of time, or better yet for the night.

This is not a cure, but it sure will give you a good almost pain free nights sleep.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

plus I have a memory foam topper as well. Both are good. I just ran out of epsom salts. I ususally buy a HUGE bag of it at the local feed mill and use around 2 cups in the bath. Haven't tried the peroxide thing yet. 3 bottles? I guess you have to buy it by the case then! And don't wash your hair in your bath water!!lol. Will think on that one, thanks,
    I do stretch, but I am sure there are many different techniques then what I do. I just had massage on Tuesday, and she worked me over good. ( I needed it) But I am still extremely sore from it. And I have to work today and Saturday. I am a hairstylist. Thanks for answering!
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

That may explain alot right there. You are already doing good stuff and should be getting some relief. But constant exposure to dangerous chemicals at work (worse if you work out of home) could easily be what is keeping you chronically achey w/ no relief. Your body is constantly trying to detox, and never catches up, because of repeated exposure.

A large number of hairdressers, mechanics, people in fields exposed to many chemicals can get our disease. I don't know how chemically sensitive you know you are, but something is happending on at least a low level.

I know a great stylist though, gorgeous lady, who was getting sick, but recognized it quick and made some accomodations and turned it around. She's still a stylist too.

Jeanne
  6. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Jeanne's post on chemicals got me thinking. One thing my Naturopath recommended for detoxing is a Far Infrared Sauna. I have been getting some treatments for mercury detox. and it is helping some. It is also recommended for pain. Are there any clinics nearby that offer this? It might be worth a try.

Also, re pain meds. You might be needing more regular "around the clock' pain meds at least for a while.That often works better than the 'as needed' approach.

I feel for you and hope you can find some answers.

Kathy.
  7. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I only work 2 days one week, 2 days the next. Very minimum. I don't find the chemicals really bother me, not near like alot of other people. I don't do it at home, tho I used too.

What kind of "round the clock" meds do you think my doctor here in Canada would possibly give me? I don't even know what to ask for. I am thinking of trying the FM Relief from the store here. Anyone try it with success?
  8. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I know you have posted before about problems getting meds.I think even Tylenol #3 round the clock might help (although, watch the constipation!).

One thing that might help you is to keep track of your pain over a period of time i.e. rate it from 1-10 daily or several times a day. This kind of record keeping is often more convincing for doctors.

I have no experience with FM Relief but I think others have.

Hope this helps

Kathy.
  9. thomasina

thomasina New Member

I take 4mgs (2mgs each) of Klonopin and 2 benadryl, then sleep through it. Even with painkillers, some pain still manages to get by, I can tolerate it, but, if it wears me down, I'd prefer to sleep through it.

thommie
  10. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

about trying a round the clock pain prevention regimine. I take 50 mg of Ultram in the morning no matter the severity of my pain. I notice that I do not get as sore through out the day. I also take 50 mg in the afternoon.
    You know what they say..... an ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure.
    Hugs,
    A
  11. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

the Tylenol 3's aren't really doing a whole lot to help my pain, especially the achyness. I will have to check into the ultram, don't know if they perscripe that in Canada.
    Thanks!
  12. teeger

teeger New Member

HI
    I see it has been a while since you posted. I do not use any of the stuff except for tylenol. I hate taking pills and will suffer as long as I can. Nice to be a martyr.lol

The reason I'm writing is that a lot of what you folks are doing sounds a lot of what my cousin does everyday for her pain with one exception. She also uses Castor oil. From what I can understand she also wraps herself in some sort of wrap and then takes a epsom salt bath. She has Scleroderma. She tells me she is in intense pain and without this treatment as she calls it she wouldn't be able to stand it. If anyone is interested I could get more info on it.

Anna