What can I expect from an Independent Medical Exam (IME)?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Willow9, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Willow9

Willow9 New Member

My company and disability provider have asked me to have an independent medical exam. I asked what this was and they said it was just like a regular doctor visit with someone who is not a company doctor or my doctor.

Has anyone else had one of these? Also, what has been your experience with documenting your illness symptoms? Should I be doing this and bringing it with me to the doctor?

Thank you for your help friends....
  2. landra

landra New Member

SSA often has IME's as well. There will be a couple of posts about that. Also try the Search function at the top of the page; there have been many posts. You may need to try different variations of independant medical exam...

Another resource is a yahoogroup. Disinissues at yahoogroups dot com. they are dedicated to the insurance issues - either LTD's or SSA.

LTD's are notorious for doing everything they can to NOT allow your claim.

Do you have an attorney? Could he/she suggest an ALTERNATIVE doctor - one who is more likely to be truly independant?

You don't say what your diagnosis is or what you and your doctor have done to document it. Do you have lab tests you can provide? Some people keep a journal, and provide that or a synopsis to their doctor. Have you done that? Do you have copies?

Hope this helps. I would say disinissues would be the best place to ask questions.

3. erica741

erica741 New Member

Sounds like the IME is requested by a private LTD company and not SSDI?

My advice is to get an attorney ASAP. Despite what your claims rep tells, you IMEs are not just a "regular doctor visit". IME doctors are "hired guns" who are payed big bucks by the LTD companies to give exam opinions in favor of the LTD company's interests (ie. you are not disabled).

Since it sounds like your LTD plan is sponsored by your employer, then your plan is almost certainly governed by ERISA. An ERISA claim subjected to an IME almost certainly means your LTD company is setting you up on the path for denial.

Run, don't walk, to the best ERISA attorney you can find and afford!

For more information about ERISA LTD issues and IME's, I recommend the Disinissues website: http://www.cfids-me.org/disinissues/ and the Disinissues Yahoo discussion group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Disinissues/

Good luck!