What can mimic Diabetes?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SweetT, Oct 3, 2006.

1. SweetT

SweetT New Member

At bedtime, my mouth becomes really dry and I have uncontrollable thirst.

Per my latest labwork done, no, I don't have diabetes. Also, I don't drink alot of water because my Fibro causes frequent urination-----------I can't run to the restroom every 5 minutes on the job. I often urinate 5 to 20 times overnight, having to get out of bed, if I give in to my dry mouth and uncontrollable thirst.

Any suggestions/ideas? Is there another test that can reveal diabetes? Might I have something else?
  2. SweetT

SweetT New Member

Prickles, unless I'm in extreme pain and have to take a prescription muscle relaxer. But I don't take any prescription medicine on a daily basis------------only as needed, once or twice a month, or once every other month, etc.

Sea-Dove, I will ask my Osteopath about homeopathic remedies.
  3. Thistledown

Thistledown New Member

Diabetes insipidus is excessive thirst (polydypsia) and excessive urination (polyuria). Your body regulates hydration by producing ADH (anti-diuretic hormone) which tells the kidneys to conserve water and concentrate the urine. If you do not make enough ADH (hypothalamus I think) you will be thirsty and have to pee constantly. There are medications (DDAVP) to control it, but check with a doc and have yourself tested.

Best wishes,

Thistle
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

When dealing with canine Kidney failure, vets constantly ask if dog is drinking way more water. Maybe you should look at kidney function. I hope it is not kidney related, but thought I would suggest.

Best of luck to you.

5. dannybex

dannybex Member

...is very common with CFS patients, especially with adrenal exhaustion. Your hypothalamus and/or adrenals may be releasing less aldosterone, the hormone that controls water retention...

Or else -- you may be pre-diabetic or have insulin resistance (the so-called Syndrome X) -- which I think I may have -- which can be corrected in time. A google search will turn up more info...

Dan
    [This Message was Edited on 10/07/2006]

[ advertisement ]