What can still give you a thrill?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lurkernomore, Jan 30, 2006.

1. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Wow, even as I type this, it almost sounds ridiculous. I mean, I am all too aware of how we struggle daily, often hourly, just to cope.

So I thought I would attempt this and just see if there is anyone who is still able to get a really happy feeling from someone special or memory, anything to bring back or help them to relive some happier times. Because I do feel that things such as this go a long way towards our emotional healing.

I don't want this to be (and sincerely hope it does not end up this way) to be all about me, but since I started the thread, I thought I would begin by posting something that never fails to give me cold chills of happiness.

This past spring, my husband and I renewed our wedding vows for our 25th wedding anniversary. Some folks did not try to hide the fact that they thought it was silly, but I didn't care. We took the initial vows, such as "for better, for worse, in *sickness* and health," and my hubby has stuck by me and supported me through all this and I just felt like celebrating that fact...so we did!

And what thrills me now is being able to be here, all by myself, the phone not ringing with calls from all those friends I use to have, everyone in the house gone to work and being able to pop in the video of the renewal and just watch it all over again.

The *thrill* comes when my husband is saying his own hand-written vows to me. The look on his face of pure love, understanding and yes...pride, even after all these years and the toll that this DD has taken on me makes the hair on my arms stand up and my eyes well up with tears as I think "oh, how I love that man!" And then comes the part where he gently reaches down and strokes my face and wipes a tear of joy that is tricking down my cheek so tenderly. I am way too lucky and I know it!

So that is my thrill this year. All other years I simply have to look at his face and I know I am so very blessed. And when he tells me that he's just said a prayer that my pain will be less tomorrow...it is just like a dream. I apologize if I sound as if I am boasting.

I am well aware that others have not been as fortunate and for that, my heart aches. But I am just hoping that by starting this thread, we can all stop, even for just a moment, and think of what things we have been blessed with and what can still bring joy to our hearts. Because we need this to cope and get through each day. So please, don't be shy. Share what good things we still have and I think we will all feel better for having done so.
  2. russiankids3

russiankids3 New Member

when I hear my kids laugh, when my husband holds my hand in public or kisses me in private!

I get a thrill when my nephews tell me I'm their favorite aunt,getting replies to my postings/threads,when the sun comes up, walking in the rain and splashing like a kid with my kids in the large puddles.

I get a thrill from the sounds of birds chirping in the quiet morning, the start of yard sale season, puppies who are so excited and love everyone, making a new friend, buying something during a sale dirt cheap!

Congrats on your 25th anniversary lurkernomore!!! Sounds like it's full steam ahead for you and hubbie to make more memories and have more thrills Oh! Making it to your 50th anniversary too!!

Nice thread!

Sue
  3. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Thank you so much! I am so happy to read that your life has much joy as well! And yes, the way time flies, our fiftieth will be here before we know it, YIKES!

Sooooo, come on people, surely we aren't the only ones that savor what joys we've shared in life, even now? I am really wanting (needing) to hear some happy stories!
  4. elsa

elsa New Member

Things that still thrill me .... So much, but several come to mind without trying.

My Husband .... I get goofy just looking at him. He still does it for me ... but he is also God's gift to me ... I am thankful everyday for that gift. He ain't perfect mind you, lol, but a gift just the same.

My pets ... three dogs and 2 horses. The unconditional love I receive cannot be discribed. In their way they have all helped me ... caring for them, walking, riding, grooming ... have all been physical therapy for me. The laughter is priceless.

I got goose bumps listening to a dear friend's step-daughter singing a part of the Lord's Prayer today .... over a cell phone speaker ... I'm not kidding .. the talent packed in a body no bigger then a minute is unbelievable. I really did get goosebumps ... my jaw really was hanging open. How nice!

Thank you for posting this. I have so many things in my life in which I still get tickled over ... It's always nice to have someone encourage us to remember them and to be thankful for them.

Elsa
    [This Message was Edited on 01/30/2006]
  5. jake123

jake123 New Member

My heart goes pitty pat when my grandkids run to meet me and hug me.
    A different kind of pitty pat happens when the slot machine goes ka-ching!!!
  6. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Hee hee...love it! So what was your biggest win????
  7. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

The smooching bandit! Love it!
  8. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Hey y'all,
    I have had to take a muscle relaxer, which means that very soon it will be beddy-bye for me. If y'all could, would you try to keep this bumped for me? I am so interested to see what gives other people joy and really think this can be a big positive for so many here. I love the responses we have gotten so far. Yawwwwwwwnnnn, man, that pill was stronnnnngggggggg! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! :)
  9. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

put a big smile on my face. You are blessed. It did not come across as boasting.

Thanks for sharing your happiness. All too often we hear about negative things. It's good to hear about the good.
  10. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

I'm a big classic rock fan, anytime I hear a Beatles song it makes me feel good, and seeing Jon Bon Jovi on t.v. gives me a big thrill!! I get to see him live in concert in March !!
  11. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Reading a post addressed to me. No kidding. It matters the world to me, housebound, to have some form of contact with another person!

Scratching my brother's head and back, listening to how his day went, following him around and watching what he's doing, and telling him bedtime stories at night. He's the sweetest brother you could immagine. 20 years old and still likes hugs.

Mostly though, the sweetest thing is to close my eyes and immagine that I am married and have young children of my own to care for, and that I can work hard every day. And as I immagine it, I pray that it will come true. I immagine that I'm strong and well, and can work in a garden, and can run and can sleep. And how the air smells and how the sky looks, and the feel of green grass and soft earth in my hands. And I immagine all the friends I will meet. I pray that it can be that way for me someday. When I close my eyes tightly, I am almost there.
  12. lardsgirl

lardsgirl New Member

laughing with my husband and girlfriends...my grandaughter's smile..watching horses..being alive
  13. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I just bought an animal pouch at the pet store. It fits like a knapsack over my front and my little bunny sits in the pouch for hours at a time, happy and content just to be there. I feel like a mama kangaroo. It melts my heart to see her little head, bright eyes and long ears peeping out at me while I putter around the house and do my daily chores.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  14. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

My family makes me very happy and I love to make things for my gardens.I have so many ideas I right them all down.And when I get finished with my creation I just sit back and try to pat myself on the back even if it hurts.
    Sheila
  15. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I can't dance very well, actually not at all right now. But this is going so well I wanted to keep it bumped. Spending time with our children, grandchildren, loving our furbabies and gardening....it's really is what life is all about, isn't it?
  16. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

I get a thrill when, during a conversation I think of something to say, and by the time I get a chance I actually remember it!

Oh yeah, and when I finish a quilt or sell one or when I got my reader's tips published in a magazine! That is all awesome!
  17. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

.. I'm very lucky to have a wonderful husband and son ... I appreciate that greatly .. I have two totally different character cats that do something every day to make me laugh.
    BUT ... I have to admit ... my garden brings me into a totally different world .. the sights and smells are so special .. the thrill for the first time I managed to have my Blue Himalayan Poppy bloom was fantastic .. the smells of harvesting my herbs in the Fall for friends ..
    It makes me feel good that simple things make me so happy.
    Fudge : )
  18. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Because I am getting such a *thrill* from just reading all of your joys and happiness that I really want to hear then all!

It doesn't have to be huge, just the simple things that bring you pleasure, despite what we are dealing with. So please share your joys. I know we would all love to read them and I think it will make us all feel a lot closer to one another.
  19. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Aww, how sweet of you! Thanks so much for viewing my experience as one of pure happiness and not boasting. You are a very loving and generous person, I can just tell!
  20. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Wow, that is enough to make anyone's day, week, whatever! I just love being in contact with old acquatances. (sp??)

Every now and then I will get the pleasure of hearing from a long lost friend and it feels as if there is hope that I am still worthy of being remembered, ha ha!