what can stop this hair loss??????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by WW68, Feb 24, 2003.

1. WW68

WW68 New Member

HEllo all......I was wondering if anyone out there has found a remedy that stops this HAIR loss?? I am a 34 year old women, who like alot of you have lost everthing to this dd. Well my hair has been falling out for years!! Have bald spots. I am SO devistated!! SO my question is........is there anyone out there who has found and effective treatment to STOP the hair loss, and have regrowth of new hair?? My hair grows that does not fall out, but new hair never grows in to replace the CLUMPS that come out. I am using the Nioxin products, and for about 2 months my hair stopped falling out,and is now coming out again in full force!!( maybe it was a coincidence??)Has anyone used Rogaine??? I am only on xanax for sleep. No other meds and all my bloodwork (thyroid also) is normal.Any suggestions or remedies that help whould be appreciated...........good health to all....thank you.......... :) WW68
  2. patchwork

patchwork New Member

but I've had the same problems due to an immune response where my system is rejecting my hair. I think it's linked to a Thyroid problem. Have you had your Thyroid tested??
    Steroid cream works for me, but I hate using it....Good Luck!
  3. Jaysea

Jaysea New Member

You can't rule out hypothyroidism because your bloodwork was normal. The guidelines for normal levels are going to be changed. Until they get changed, you have to go by your symptoms, not the bloodwork.

here's some info:

Clinical Chemists Issue Revised Thyroid Testing Guidelines
    from Mary J. Shomon

The National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry has issued new Laboratory Medicine Practice Guidelines for thyroid testing, and the new guidelines should be of interest to thyroid patients -- and practitioner.

Among other recommendations, two highlights:

The guidelines state that the upper TSH limit will likely be reduced to 2.5, because more than 95% of all people with normal thyroid function have a TSH of .4 to 2.5
    Between .5 and 2.0 is the optimal target TSH for hypothyroid patients

I have the following symptoms of hypothyroidism, as detailed by the Merck Manual, the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, and the Thyroid Foundation of America

I am gaining weight inappropriately
    I'm unable to lose weight with diet/exercise
    I am constipated, sometimes severely
    I have hypothermia/low body temperature (I feel cold when others feel hot, I need extra sweaters, etc.)
    I feel fatigued, exhausted
    Feeling run down, sluggish, lethargic
    My hair is coarse and dry, breaking, brittle, falling out
    My skin is coarse, dry, scaly, and thick
    I have a hoarse or gravely voice
    I have puffiness and swelling around the eyes and face
    I have pains, aches in joints, hands and feet
    I have developed carpal-tunnel syndrome, or it's getting worse
    I am having irregular menstrual cycles (longer, or heavier, or more frequent)
    I am having trouble conceiving a baby
    I feel depressed
    I feel restless
    My moods change easily
    I have feelings of worthlessness
    I have difficulty concentrating
    I have more feelings of sadness
    I seem to be losing interest in normal daily activities
    I'm more forgetful lately

I also have the following additional symptoms, which have been reported more frequently in people with hypothyroidism:

My hair is falling out
    I can't seem to remember things
    I have no sex drive
    I am getting more frequent infections, that last longer
    I'm snoring more lately
    I have/may have sleep apnea
    I feel shortness of breath and tightness in the chest
    I feel the need to yawn to get oxygen
    My eyes feel gritty and dry
    My eyes feel sensitive to light
    My eyes get jumpy/tics in eyes, which makes me dizzy/vertigo and have headaches
    I have strange feelings in neck or throat
    I have tinnitus (ringing in ears)
    I get recurrent sinus infections
    I have vertigo
    I feel some lightheadedness
    I have severe menstrual cramps
  4. 2girls

2girls New Member

Hi WW68 -

A friend has alopecia (hair loss) and uses Moducare. Although certainly not a cure, she finds it very helpful.

2girls