What causes the flu like feelings?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, May 26, 2009.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

I feel like I have the flu 4 days out of 7 - this has been on for years

What causes this?
  2. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I hate this feeling. I have had the same thing...about 4-5 days a week. Strange how it comes and goes. I can be doing something one minute then it comes on me and I Have to go to bed. I am not sure if it is infections, adrenals or what but it is awful.
  3. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I have this too and I really wish we knew why so we could make it go away.

feel better hugs for all of us

gentle hugs, Susan
  4. panthere

panthere Member

yeah, i hate those too. i know i usually get them when i physically overdo it. i am thinking it's my active ebv, so probably an actual virus gives us these symptoms.
  5. cfsgeorge

cfsgeorge New Member

What type of ebv testing did you do? 95% of all adults have a positive IgG for ebv.
  6. Empower

Empower New Member

I don't know how to interpret these results

EBNA AB (IGG) 4.40 positive

epstein barR vca iGM ab .04 (NEGATIVE)

igg sERUM 1105 (IN RANGE)

My doctor told me 90% of the population tests postive for EB by the time they reach 30 and not to worry about it!!
  7. denis321

denis321 New Member

the stuff about most people being positive for EBV and it not meaning anything is in dispute right now for CFS. Some people have superhigh numbers and it might mean an active infection.
    Your numbers don't seem particularly high.

A more reliable test is the EBV early antigen (EA), which you did not have. If your EA is more than 1:640, this is accepted even by traditional doctors as concerning for an active infection.

Regarding your question, there is ongoing research about whether elevated blood cytokine levels are causing the symptoms in CFS. Cytokines cause muscle aches, fatigue, headache, etc. that normal people have when they get an infection. They go down as the person recovers. Some cancer patients get medicines which elevate their cytokines and they experience flu-like symptoms.

The two questions are:
    1. Are cytokines elevated in patients with CFS?
    2. Are elevated cytokines cause by an active infection OR by an autoimmune process?

Some recent stuff from Dr. Klimas in Miami show CFS patients have much higher cytokine blood levels (up to 237% more) than normal healthy people.
  8. Empower

Empower New Member

I see I had an EBV Nuclear AG (EBNA) IGG that was 5.0 positive, with greater than 1 being positive
  9. denis321

denis321 New Member

is not a good measure of active infection in the research to date.

The antibodies being focused on are EBV VCA IgG/ IgM because the folks who responded to antivirals had very, very high levels of these antibodies. The EBNA was high in some responders and low in others so not a good test to distinguish active infection right now.

Go for the EA -- this is different from EBNA.