What causes YOUR bloating?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IntuneJune, Jul 13, 2003.

1. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I really am bloated--I'm staying away from my triggers (yeast, wheat, citrus, soy) so am trying to get other ideas. Foods, supplements of any kind, etc.

What causes you to bloat or bloat the MOST?

Thanks June
    [This Message was Edited on 07/14/2003]
  2. tansy

tansy New Member

Both my son and I have found that starchy foods cause bloating and flatulence. Since getting this last bout of candida under control my stomach's less bloated, I think the digestive enzymes have helped too.

Hope you get some useful info.

Cheers

Tansy
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Anything with white flour, I stopped eating all products with white flour and have no more trouble with bloating and gas. Also helped my stomach a great deal.

Try Suzanne Somer's diet, its the greatest for bloating.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

has Sulfates puffs me up like 5lbs in just mins. I find that on days I don't eat I don't have any problems, I just drink water and some OJ or Banana OJ. I also found that I have more energy to on fasting days starting the second day on. I know my body is wierd and all my docs say I'm an inegma. I'm going to have an upper and lower end scoping this month to also check things out. I also have trouble with supliments I have had many problems with reacting like Kelp I can't even get past my tounge. I guess much is allergic reaction and possibly chemical sensativities to.

Gary bloats to but, we don't know why there either.

Good luck and hope we find some answers. Thanks for the post, Kim and Gary
  5. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Monicacat, Tansy, Shirl, thanks for your replies, I have allergies to yeast and wheat, soy, citrus so have been staying away from those kind of things already.

Any more ideas, really am looking for lots of personal experiences here! Thanks June
  6. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Kim and Gary, thanks. Am trying to eat fresh stuff, are you referring to the substance that sometimes gets sprayed on lettuce, etc on salad bars?

June
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Simple sugars, esp. starches as everyone else has mentioned. When I started my high protein and low carbohydrate diet, within two weeks my bloated stomach collapsed like a cake when you slam an oven door.
    Klutzo
  8. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Don`t touch pasta and eat wholemeal bread in only one meal of the day now.

Taking OLE to kill off the candida, Acidophilus to replace good flora (taken well seperately between meals, and Digestive Enzymes to help with digestion.

Pat.
  9. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

they use on salads and salad bars but, We just can't eat out. 6 years ago we asked our local Chilis about preservatives and MSG and other things in all there foods and she told us that she wasn't sure but, would not recommend much and the salad a big no no. Even many Pizza places here use MSG in there sause. I think I am becomeing more allergic and CS to the world every year.

Hope you figure it out and take care, Kim and Gary
  10. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I found that eating bread, pasta, bagels, pretzels - they all bloat me terribly. They also aggravate the IBS, so I try to stay away from them. I agree with the other posters here - the white flour is a big no-no. I never thought I could do without these things - I was always a "starch" addict, but I also hate being sick.

Annette2
  11. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Or anything carbonated, I used to drink a ton of snapple, the sugar free one and I quit that because of the aspartame, I switched to pop. That was a big mistake as I soon was up to 6 a day, I was so bloated all the time and not to mention the sugar...........

So I quit that a few mo ago and now I sip on water all day, tall glass of water with ice, as cold as I can get it with a drop or 2 of lemon juice, I heard somewhere here that lemon juice will help stave off kidney stones and such and it just terrifies me to go thru that, so I hope it is good ins against it.

I used to never drink water, I mean NEVER. I have often wondered if that is what made me so sick. Dehydration can cause all of our ailments. I have received an added bonus on the water too, way healthier skin, nails, hair, everything is more moist which helps with that feeling of looking so haggard as I feel since getting this DD.

Jaci
  12. sofy

sofy New Member

It use to be just wheat and dairy but not I have had to eliminate wild rice and quinoa too and a salad or zucchini will blow me up too. My food intake for a balanced diet is getting more and more pared down.
    I follow the seperation of food like S Sommers so am still able to get fruits into me but the vegetables are down to green beans and asparagus and loads of broccoli sprouts. I do heat the sprouts to be sure to kill any mold that might be on them. Probably kill some nutritional value but think the mold would be more harmful.

Calcium: forgot any form but citrate will blow me right up and make me socially unaccaptable too.
  13. Kim

Kim New Member

I was never bloated no matter what I ate until I started taking the antidepressant remeron. Now dairy and most carbs do it to me. For me, I think it's actually the protein in dairy, not the lactose because whey does it. I tested positive for allergy to dairy, then three months later negative but I think I'm back being allergic to it. Shame because I love cheese.
  14. BabsFl

BabsFl New Member

OMG I thought I was the only one with this problem.
    I bloat up bad, sometimes I look like I have swallowed a watermelon!lol I don't know what causes it. I guess I need to try some of these things that have been posted.
    My question is.....
    Is this a side affect and common in fm patients? Very interested in reply's.
    Thanks very much for this post I learn more and more all the time here.

Hugs,
    Barb
  15. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

is, I think, oils. Eating roasted nuts gives me problems, but if I eat dry roasted unseasoned peanuts, I don't have problems. I haven't tested other nuts this way yet, as I've only roasted almonds myself once, before I realized there was a problem. The Adrenal Fatigue book mentions something about some people having problems with "rancid oils", and maybe that's it.
  16. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Thanks everyone, I am still on the prowl.

Monicacat, I have already been tested for celiac, that came back negative although I most-of-the-time stay away from wheat, yeast, which eliminates a lot of gluten exposure.

Pat, I am getting some OLE in my supplements but can't remember how much and have recently started acidophilus, no change yet but have not started digestive enzymes, would that make a big difference?

Sofy, calcium huh? Would not have suspected that one. Am going to keep an eye out for that.

GaryandKim, I get salads for lunch from the salad bar at work, they cannot tell me if the stuff has been sprayed with preservatives ..now get this.... I work in a hospital.My allergist was furious when I told him.

Shirl, I have Suzanne's book and it is going to take some fanageling (sp?) to have the right food with me at the right time. I cannot depend on the cafeteria at work to have the right thing available for me to buy and I am just toooo darn tired to pack my lunch also--- I do bring breakfast. Also I am having a hard time reading, I keep falling asleep.

Klutzo, I want YOUR stomach!!!!

Are there any more reactions to supplements????Or anything else?????

Thanks again, June
  17. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hi June! Like almost everyone else who posted, sugars, starches, potatoes and breads make me feel huge. I bloat really bad with those foods, unfortunately, I'm a carb junkie. I really try to stay away, but it's such a battle. I found two products at the health food store that works great for me, they are yeast and sugar free bread, also, I found gluten and yeast free waffles that took some getting used too, but, now I love them. Eliminating caffeine did help a little with this problem, but it's still a struggle. Hugs, Chelz.
  18. teach6

teach6 New Member

My bloating is caused by PMS. I used to have problems with ham and some other especially salty foods, but now I am supposed to have a high salt intake to help with my NMH. I haven't had ham in years and don't plan to try it again any time soon. It's not worth it to me.

Barbara
  19. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

Sometimes I can't put my finger on anything specific either. I just know that when I'm bloated, which seems to be more often than not, I feel miserable.
  20. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

the head of the caf? I was just reading about stress bloating that one can gain 5-10lbs in 24 hours. I have pain under my sterum do I asked Jeeves the q what could be causing the pain and it came up with the longest list and when I read it I woundered if there was a why. I know I bloat for may reasons but never heard of this one.

Maybe if they won't tell you your doc could ask.

Good luck, Kim and Gary