What causes your flares??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrpain, Dec 28, 2006.

1. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Is there a common thread that causes most of our flares are is it like everything else as far as it being different for everyone?

Not only what causes your flares, but how do your flares effect you and what do you immediately start doing to counteract them??
  2. llama

llama New Member

Hi mrpain,

I flare basically when I over do it. I had the nerve to try to go Christmas shopping like a normal person. Stayed out about 4 hours, I didn't rush, I tried to pace myself. I was in bed the next 2 days with crushing fatigue and moderate to severe pain.

Of course stress also causes a flare but is usually milder than when it occurs due to physical exertion. The only treatment I do is immediate bedrest...take my muscle relaxers, pain pills, heating pad etc. and try to ride out the storm. Wish I had something more profound to offer.

Good luck to you.........Jill.............
    [This Message was Edited on 12/28/2006]
  3. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Yes; over doing it and stress are two big causes of flare-ups...Also when I have something that has to be done or a family get together or vacation, and I know I'll need some energy, I will take extra caffeiene for that boost to make it thru whatever it is I have to accomplish.....but then; the next day or days, there will be a hugh flare..

I guess it is like I borrowed my week's supply of energy for that one day or incident and now I'm depleted for the duration of that period...Does that make sense?? Anyways, I would like to hear others also on this subject..Thanks for responding...
  4. SSDuchess

SSDuchess New Member

Well I know that most of my flare ups occur when I am not happy, which is most of the time. When I'm out with family and friends and I feel good about myself, my anxiety and general mood are better. But when I am at home with all the domesticated problems and stress that arises, I am at my worst, but you are both right about the over doing it, I suffer every where and inside as well. Happy New Year to all, may we find our own antidote so to speak or at least peace!
  5. kriket

kriket New Member

For me:

1.STRESS

2.TRYING TO DO MORE THAN I KNOW I SHOULD

3.NO OR POOR SLEEP

4.LIFTING ON HEAVY OBJECTS

5.DEALING WITH RUDE AND ABNOXIOUS PEOPLE/FAMILY MEMBERS

OK, THIS IS MY "TOP" FIVE ANYWAY. LOL

KRIKET
  6. kat1957

kat1957 New Member

Overdoing it will get me everytime! I went shopping all day Sat. before Christmas and visited my daughter & mom all in one day. Then was stupid enough to clean house Christmas Eve day. I paid for it dearly! Christmas was very painful but the day after was an in-bed day! I was in misery even with pain meds, muscle relaxers, etc. Usually it take 2 days for it to truly catch up with me.

Stress makes me worse also but I have so much daily stress sometimes it is harder to tell the difference there. :-(

Kat
  7. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Mrpain,
    My flares are caused, for the most part, by stress, over activity and strong emotion (any strong emotion, whether happy or sad, will do this).

When I notice one, I rest, try to control my mind, and sometimes increase the supplements I take for my immune system.

Terry
  8. saddlebred

saddlebred New Member

I'M NEW TO THIS SO I'M STILL LEARNING WHAT CAUSES MY

FLARES. SO FAR THIS IS WHAT I'VE LEARNED CAUSES THEM.

1) STRESS

2) LACK OF SLEEP (RESTFUL)

3) OVERDOING IT

MY DC TOLD ME TO KEEP A JOURNAL TO TRY TO HELP FIGURE OUT

WHAT CAUSES THE FLARES.

HOPE THIS WAS HELPFUL
  9. lin21

lin21 New Member

I would have to say definitely weather first, especially snow, it's the worst pain I experince about 2 weeks before it hits. Last year , they had snow in state NY and I felt it in south Jersey. It was weird, I was down for a week!!!
    Then it would have to be overdoing and then stress.
    The weather has been so mild up North and I'm afraid what is going to happen in the next few weeks. I hate January and February .
    LIn
  10. mrpain

mrpain New Member

It's funny you mentioned lifting heavy things will bring on flares because I find that to be true also. I have never heard anyone else mention it before but I know it is true and I'm glad to hear you mention it.......Don't know why though.
  11. painintheeverywhere

painintheeverywhere New Member

My top 3 answers would be cold weather, stress and lack of sleep.

As much as I would like to diminish the affects from my flares, I can only do so much.

I have learned to counter stress with breathing and stretching. I do this anytime I feel my muscles tightening. I dress warm and turn up the heat to counteract the cold and take benadryl along with pain meds or muscle relaxers and Lyrica to get a good nights sleep.

These are only things I do to cope - I am certain that I will learn from everyone else here. My flares are somewhat frequent right now and I do not always have the energy to fight them without the meds.
  12. kriket

kriket New Member

Well, it's true. I know better than to even think about lifting too heavy of objects, but sometimes you think, oh this one time won't "hurt" WRONG!!!!! If you feel the slightest burning feeling in your muscles while lifting something, you had better be prepared to indure some kind of soreness or pain for a couple to a few days.

Kriket
  13. Suzan

Suzan New Member

But, travel just kicked up some nasty days for me. We went home for Christmas which was 2 days of travel..and 3 days of visiting, and I have been pretty much down and out since we got home 4 days ago.
    Overdoing things SOMETIMES can kick up the worst of my symptoms.Too much cleaning, too much shopping, etc. But I don't always know what TOO MUCH is going to be.
    The best thing I find for me to minimize symptoms, is to stop when I am feeling that feeling -the one that says, I can push thru this and get the task done. Instead of pushing thru it, if I just go rest, sometimes for several hours, then I don't have too much pain or fatigue. Well, I may have it, but it doesn't last for days!
    Of course life doesn't always let you stop. But most of the time, I can do pretty well if I just pace myself, and rest regularly thru out the day. I am far from normal, but I do seem to be able to keep the pain and fatigue manageable.
  14. mrpain

mrpain New Member

I want to thank everyone for their responses and wish you all a "HAPPY NEW YEAR"!!!!!!