What CFS book has been most helpful?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gracepartaker, Aug 30, 2006.

1. gracepartaker

gracepartaker New Member

I would love to hear from others. What books have been most helpful in learning about this DD?

I found Katrina Berne's book CFS, Fibro, and other invisible illnesses helpful
  2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Dorothy Wall's ENCOUNTERING THE INVISIBLE, which just came out this year, is the best book I've read on CFS.

Kholmes

[This Message was Edited on 09/01/2006]
  3. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I found "Fibromyalgia for Dummies" very helpful. It is written so even the fibrofoggiest (is that a word?) person can understand it. There is even a chapter for family and friends of PWs so they can understand us and what we are going through.

God Bless.
  4. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

5. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

I read "Living with ME" by Dr Charles Sheppard

ME is what they call CFS in the UK. The book is excellent and he himself has CFS / ME.

Take care
    Michelle
  6. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

From Fatigued to Fantastic by Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum.

and the fibromyalgia handbook by copeland and starlyn(sp)
  7. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Living Well with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia by Mary J. Shomon (2004).

This is a compilation of various people's ideas about and approaches to treating CFS & FM.
  8. apl

apl New Member

"Osler's Web" by Hillary Johnson

It is the most informative and interesting book I have found on the subject. It has taught me so much about so many things, the illness itself, the patients and how they cope, the way the medical system works, from research to testing, to funding, and the politics involved. Somehow, it reads like a riveting mystery novel!

The author has CFS, and after having written an award-winning article on the subject for Rolling Stone, she undertook 9 years of research and writing to complete this book. I have a lot of respect for this lady, and for the doctors that gave so much to help their patients. There are a lot of heroes in this story.

I am about to get back to reading "Betrayal of the Brain" by Jay A. Goldstein, but it is definitely a dry read and narrowly focussed on a particular part of the science.

"Osler's Web" goes over a great number of possiblities, in documentary form. It's one of the best non-fiction books I've ever read - I'm almost grateful that I had the reason to read this book, because it has taught me a lot about so many things, and has been a very empowering experience.

I now feel like I can handle the management of my health care so much better than before I even got this DD, and I better understanbd the limitations that the people we come into contact with (doctors, etc.) are dealing with. That has been a priceless bit of knowledge.