What could be wrong with me then?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by wideawakeinaz, Nov 2, 2003.

1. wideawakeinaz

wideawakeinaz New Member

My doctor did 2 urine dipsticks tests on me. One about 11 days ago and then another this past tuesday, both came back saying there was bacteria in my urine. In fact, she showed me a scale that is used from 1-6 and i was at a 5.

Friday afternoon, my doctor's nurse called and said, my urine culture from Tuesday, the same urine used for the dipstick, came back and said, there was no bacteria growth.

Then, for about an hour on Saturday, yesterday, and for about 5 hours today, my body, down around my pubic area, was in such severe pains. I was literally going to the bathroom every 10 minutes.

Now, I was on Bactrim when the urine culture was done. Could that explain why it came back as good and the dipstick came back as saying, there was stuff in my system?

It doesn't burn to urinate and the only time i feel the need to really go is when i have the severe pain. I have no fever and i don't have any back problems.

This pain just started while i was sleeping 2 weeks ago and since then, nothing seems to help me get better.

Any ideas if this really is a UTI and if so, why did the dipstick and culture from tuesday have different findings? and if this isn't a UTI, what else could be wrong?

Why does the severe pain come and go? when it's not severe pain, i do feel a constant mild to moderate pounding feeling, but that i can handle if i had to. it's the severe pain that makes me hurt and cry so bad.
  2. insomniac1

insomniac1 New Member

Hi i am not a nurse but what you are describing to me sounds like what i like to call "bottom drop" mainly because when i get it it literally feels like my bottom (crotch) area is falling out. it may be that the dipstick test came back pos. because of contamination. my doc told me you have to clean the area and catch the midstream pee in order to get a correct reading, and then too the person handling it after to do the dip test has to be very careful any minute particle can botch the whole test. as for the pain im begining to think its fibro related. i also have to pee alot then too. its a weird feeling and sometimes hard to describe. i dont know what it could be but if you are on antibiotics it should clear up any infection you might have. good luck to you and hang in there it can be very irritating with the pain and all . friends kris
  3. bobbyray

bobbyray New Member

UNRINE DIPS ARE EASILY CONTAMINATED.DUE TO INPROPER,CLEANING FROM THE PATIENT,TO THE PERSON WHO WAS DIPPING.
    THIS SHOULD ALWAYS BE DONE TROUGH A LAB, AND A CULTURE RUN ON THE SAMPLE. NOT DIPPING.
    MISTAKES ARE EASIER TO MAKE THROUGH DIPPING, NOT 100% accurrate.
    CULTURES ARE DONE IN A SMALL PLATE IT TAKE 24-48 HOURS TO GROW THE BACTERIA OUT. THEN MEDICATION IS ADDED TO SEE WHAT CAN KILL THAT CERTAIN BACTERIA.
    THAT'S HOW YOU FIND THE MEDICATION TO TREAT YOUR UTI.
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

I had a tiny kidney stone in the making. When it got large enough to REALLY make its presence know, I knew for sure that was my problem!

I have had 5 stones in my lifetime, and they are not fun.

It's probably not that, but if you get pains as bad as labor pains and you are doubled over, go to the ER, you've probably got a stone. My first trip to the ER, they told me that all it was was a UTI and sent me home. Before I got home, the pain started again and we turned around and went back to the ER. After further testing, it was diagnosed.

While you problem persists, eat yogurt with active bacteria cultures in it, drink cranberry juice, and lots of water.