What cured you? Post here Ailments & Cure

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PatPalmer, Jun 15, 2003.

1. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

There have been several posts from people who say they are largely cured, or at least had enormous benefit from something - These posts have vital information but soon disappear into oblivion...

Could we keep this bumped up with posts (short as possible please) with top symptoms and what has benefitted you.

Quite often it`s the simple, cheap every day foods with Enzymes and Minerals we are lacking, which play their part in recovery.

Fresh Garlic daily has been mentioned as a cure for CFS several times in the past, and more recently Sea Salt therapy.

My symptoms have been fatigue, poor quality sleep/memory IBS/Candida, restless leg syndrome, cold intolerance & nasal congestion.- Was on HRT but now stopped.

All these have recently improved dramatically.

For me it`s:-

Eating only what comes naturally:- Mainly fruit,veggies, Nuts etc.
    Olive Leaf Extract:- (Natural Antibiotic)Kills off anything.
    Cytolog:-(Info for the cells)Cleared congestion & improved stamina
    Flaxseed Oil:- (Omega 3s, cos` I rarely eat fish)
    Digestive Enzymes:- (Helps digestion & blood disorder)
    Acidophilus:- (Replaces Flora for digestion/diarrohea etc.)
    Mag with Calc`m:- (Helps with sleep & Cellular regeneration)
    Herbal Teas :-Green Tea, Ginger, Lemon (Antidioxant, chases off bad guys, helps digestion, & purifies blood)
    Fresh garlic & Onions:- (Antibiotic & essential Enzymes to purify the blood & any Infection)

Supplements:- For a compromised immune system are
    Echinacea (increases white cell count)
    Evening primrose Oil/Flaxseed Oil (essential oils for cell regeneration)
    Magnesium (crucial in cellular regeneration)
    Vit C is needed in abundance...

Hoping this thread may help anyone at a loss as to what they can do to help themselves.

Love Pat.

2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

My GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux disease) is completely in remission for many years now by taking calcium citrate and digestive enzymes with meals.
    Klutzo

P.S. After reading some of these posts implying that proper nutrition is enough to fix this, I had to come back and edit this to add that I have been a "health nut" since the age of 17. I got Fibro at age 34, and am now 52. I have always eaten the right things, taken supplements, though not as many as I do now, and have exercised all of my life. It did not prevent me from getting this, nor did it cure me. I think in mild cases, where the nutritional status of a person was too low to fight off things, it may indeed be the answer, but I am living proof that for many of us it is just not enough.
    IMO, I feel this difference relates to the severity of our adrenal fatigue...the worse it is, the more it will take to effect a recovery. If we were born to adrenally fatigued mothers, and thus have a genetic adrenal weakness, we will probably never recover completely, but can still make lots of progress.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/16/2003]
  3. ozgran

ozgran New Member

I am definitely not cured yet, but have improved a lot as far as the FM goes.

I went to Accupuncture for about 2 mnths. Great!!
    Now having some Massage on Drs recomendation.

Took:- Olive Leaf Extract-until it was removed from sale over here. Will take it again when it is available.Also am looking at Chromium Picolate when it returns to sale. Is supposed to help the Diabetes and also metabolism.

Currently taking 50mgs Zoloft daily.

Calcium tab at night straight after dinner. ZMA equivalant before bed. Also have SAMe which I take if I need to.

I am now back walking at least 4 days per week and tho' I still have my not so good days, I am very pleased with my progress with the FM. Love Ozgran.

4. T-BO

T-BO New Member

Provagil (US), has greatly improved my life. No I am not working or schooling YET, but I am able to do graded exercise and concentrate (focus), pretty damn well. This is some high-tech medication IMO.

I have lost 15lbs. in 3 weeks, (mostly because of diet), and have only needed between 8 and 9 hrs. of sleep per night. Sometimes I only sleep 7.

Yes I probably could go back to work right now but I don't want to risk getting worse. I will save that for when I'm fully recovered.

The bottom line to all of this is that the medication has saved my a$$. My health level is about 70-80% now as opposed to 30-40%. I don't know how long the affects of this medication will last but for the past month it has done the trick.

There's my 2cents.

Peace,

Tom
  5. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

I'm not cured yet but I have improved substantially from
    Dr. Poesnecker's treatments for adrenal exhaustion from too much stress. I take 7-keto DHEA and pregnenolone for energy and neurally mediated hypotension, plus adrenal cortex extracts and adrenal glandulars, homeopathic growth hormone for sleep.

Also watercure (sea salt and water) for one year for improved energy and better blood pressure readings.

Nature's Benefit Coral Calcium Powder for improved oxygenation of body and more energy and slightly better sleep.

Also magnesium malate for reduced chest pains and more energy and less constipation.

Also do graded activity with lots of rest as prescribed by my doctor plus reduced stress level plus no talking on the phone as that is bad for adrenal patients like me.

Love, Jasmine
  6. Kim

Kim New Member

I was dx in 1999 at Mayo Clinic (yes, they believe in CF and fibro). I've always been active, eaten properly, excellent bloodwork, etc. By 1999 I was in bed, hurting all the time, reflux, candida, etc.

What cured me was SHOCK THERAPY to relieve depression, followed by antidepressants (Remeron).

Depression can cause all the symptoms we have, including candida. When you're clinically depressed, your immune system suffers, you hurt all over, you can't sleep, etc.

If this helps only one person it'll be worth it.

At first, I was indignant to the doctor who "dared" say depression was my main problem. I had every symptom of chronic fatigue. I even had thrush! Depression does a number on your immune system.

kim

7. skychomper

skychomper Member

Kudos on this post, pat

Olive Leaf Extract. this has been a godsend for me. started at 6% oleuropein and Im now going to 12% I had to find the right brand. one had lemon balm in it and gave me really bad headaches and fatigue. just plain OLE works really well for me

With the OLE, the following:

No more Sinus pain or Migraines.

My Mood and interaction with others is much better

Sleep is also improving
    I go to sleep more quickly and as I lay there I can feel my tensed up muscles relax, and I feel better when I wake up.

Acne is also like 85% better. no more superzits (the ones that hurt and don't really come to a head) and my skin is smoother. still a bit of acne, but way less severe

Energy is also better, although not yet where I want to be or where I feel I could work full time.

GARLIC. I don't know how much of a candida problem I have, but when I start to get itchy in places, I take a garlic pill (garlinase) and the problem resolves

PROBIOTICS- haven't been very consistent with these but know they help with candida

Castor Oil Pack- (for a short time) helped with constipation
    and made me feel a little stronger- helped me to make the jump from bedridden to somewhat mobile back in april.

Hershey's bar with almonds. its my little treat. I think the almonds help though-seriously!

skychomper
  8. Goodday

Goodday New Member

My symptoms were: depression from chronic pain--for the past 20 years from fibromyalgia and back, neck, spinal problems.

Anxiety. Total body pain that "moves around" headaches, high blood pressure, many other side symptoms like GERD, chest pains, etc. Muscle spasms, chronic.

Morning pain, stifness, tired...felt like I was run over by a semi-truck. Every morning.

What gives me the most relief from all this????

One simple pill--low dose Naltrexone, fast-acting, 3 mg. One at night at bedtime. It is a immune system booster and works at night to restore my body's natural endorphins, (there is more than one type of endorphin hormone)

This has been the only thing that has helped so immensly with NO side effects from it.

My energy has increased double fold. It is noted that it helps relieve 95% of fibro pain, stabelizes immune sytem in three months. For CFS it helps by 50%.
    I am getting deep sleep. I experience NO pain and stiffness in the A.M. now.
    I have stopped taking tazodone for depression, Neurontin for muscle aches and pains, and Ultram for chronic pain.

It is a recognized prescription and more and more people are seeking it for the benefit it provides.

It stops the progression of MS. It can be used for lupus, MPS, leukemia (with good results) and AIDS, and most immune diseases.

I know it works for pain relief because I was without it for 3 nights and all symptoms came back. Two nights back on it and I felt good again. It works by rearranging the minds PERCEPTION OF PAIN. It is not a narcotic and should not be used with narcotics.

9. stoerm

stoerm New Member

I just started to take OPC-3 and some other vitamins to see if I will get the same results as those that have told me about being cured of fibro after taking the vitmains. They also said it would help with gerd and other things that I suffer from becasuse of the fibro. Digestive enzyme and aloe juice has helped with digestive system, which the medications has caused the troubles. I hope this will be handy.
  10. tansy

tansy New Member

Still have severe CFS etc but for first time in many many years ibs has become a minor problem and only becomes worse now following a virus or other infection.

This is what I've been doing.

High protein/lowish carbs (no refined or sugar) diet with loads of vegetables.
    Eat every three hours and use digestive enzymes.
    Probiotics, 5 different strains
    FOS, which doesn't seem to have caused my candidiasis to flare up more (am on an antifungal)
    Garlic supp (with very high allicin yield)
    Colustrum, and this is what really made a difference when added to the above.
    Changing from flax seed oil capsules to liquid has got rid of gall bladder discomfort.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/27/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/18/2003]
  11. gbean

gbean New Member

Dear Gooday,
    I'm so glad to hear that naltrexone helped you.
    I have an appoinment to try and start naltrexone in about 3 weeks.
    I have very severe overal muscle pain, fatigue, insomnia and depression.
    I wish I could read of more people like u.
    Do you know of anyone else it helped?
    No supplements, pain meds or special diets have ever helped me.
    Sincerely,
    Gena
  12. mitch123

mitch123 New Member

I'm a big fan of eastern medicine, I have a brillent Traditional Chinese Medicine doctor.
    I have acupuncture 2x a week and I take wuchaseng extract, which is excellent for the immune system,depression and improving white blood cell count.

mitch
  13. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

on long-existing symptoms including migraines, chronic sinusitis, lowered blood pressure and regulating blood sugar..overall general feeling of wellbeing..
    but the following have contributed to specific symptom improvements..

Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes seem to be helping digestion, significant reduction of bloating/gas problems..

Eating a high protein, low carbohydrate, and healthy fat diet with Evening Primrose and Fish Oil helps general health...Eating many raw forms of veggies, and have added dandelion greens (from yard as so plentiful this year)

Use Quercitin/Bromelain for reduction of allergies..

Zinc and Vitamin C and Echinacea, Vitamin E for immune health..Licorice for Adrenals

Pregnenolone and Premenses for hormonal health..

Calcium Citrate and Magnesium (in various forms) and GABA for enhancing sleep

Trying out various forms of detoxification..Milk Thistle, MSM..

Cell Forte for building up of Natural Killer cells

Oil of Oregano to supplement use of OLE and specifically for sinus symptoms, but have not needed much, lately..

Drink green teas, herbal and fresh lemonade with stevia

Zanaflex is effective for sleep problems..but sometimes, Calcium, Magnesium, and GABA are effective..

Do as much gardening as possible for exercise and general well being, strength training and mild aerobics..

Need to find solutions for continuing fatigue, feverish feeling when have overextended or "pushed", still have most of the neurological problems and have developed much more pain in lower back..not on any prescription meds for pain..would like to find some natural remedies..

I don't consider myself cured, but improvement has been achieved..

Plantscaper

[This Message was Edited on 06/28/2003]
  14. Bambi

Bambi New Member

have always done..garlic etc.. I started a BComplex and it has lifted
    my depressions by at least 80%. I take it first thing in the morning
    with my other meds. Still having days
    when nothing external can explain extreme pain, nausea, exhaustion and
    overall feeling of end stage something. On those days I sleep or
    at least get into bed and rest as much of the day as possible and so far the next days are hugely improved. I think sometimes my body
    just wants and needs total rest. I did add Magnesium and fish oil for a
    fair trial but felt NO better and am
    going to get a good salmon oil as I
    recently read the other comes from
    anything they can get on a hook or in
    a net and is full of mercury, etc.. I
    also take Acidolpholus 3 times a day
    and have taken up my interest in painting again..no Rembrandt here but
    very enjoyable, time consuming and
    keeps the worries at bay. Still, the
    biggest best improvement in anything
    I've had in years came with the BComplex for depression..see near total improvement in mood, no swings
    or deep dark dives. Haven't tried some of the more controversial supplements but may try some, especially interested in the Olive
    Leaf Extract. Hugs, Bambi
  15. lsw

lsw New Member

Does the Naltrexone help with fatigue?
  16. Msagn

Msagn New Member

I searched for over (4) years and countless doctors, I now control my flares with "microdoses" of hydrocortisone. Not prednisone. I only have to take meds when I feel a flare coming on. Most of the time I am off meds. When a flare comes on I take a decerasing dose
    50,40,30,20,10mg.

This is not for people with diabetes, but it's sure been a god send for me. I have been on the program for over 2 1/2 years now. other than some arthritic pain in my knees that may never go away, I would have to call myself relatively pain free. My aliment was FM, hurting mostly from the waist down, burning sensations in the legs, horrible headaches, and a lack of lseep from being waken up from the pain. Heavy duty pain killers did me no good, and if they did I would pay for using them by waking up completely soaked in sweat.

Do your own reading... google search on(Microdose Therapy)

best of luck to all

[This Message was Edited on 06/20/2003]
  17. Shirl

Shirl New Member

With the FM. This is copied and pasted, so it may sound a little different than what Pat asked for.

There is some other supplements that I will be trying soon that Klutzo explained to me. Will add them when I get them and give them a try.

What I take.............................. 03/21/03 01:10 PM
    I take mainly,supplements, herbs, vitamins, etc. The only med I take is Xanax, low dose (0.25 milligrams) at 7pm for racing brain syndrome. It can also be taken with OTC's Advil gel caps, the Xanax enhances the effect of the Advil, and it is a great pain reliever. BUT do keep in mind that Xanax can be very addictive if used consistantly.

Xanax is an anti anxiety drug, a rather old one. It is addictive, but I only use it once a day, or if I feel an attack coming on.

I have listed below what I take, hope it is helpful. If you have a question, please feel free to ask me, be glad to help.

Shalom, Shirl

Product; Ultra B-Complex (High Potency with Folic Acid)
    (1 capsule after or during lunch) This helps with brain fog, and energy too.

Product; 800IU's of Natural Vitamin E
    (For numbness, heart, blood etc)

Product; Ester C 500 milligrams
    (antioxidant, helps prevent colds, virus etc.)

Product; ZMA (zinc, magnesium, Vitamin B-6)
    For sleep, deep sleep also helps with muscle pains.
    (2 capsules at 10pm )

Product; Jarro-Dophilus (Probotics)
    3 a day for IBS, replaces good bacteria

Product; Melatonin (5milligrams)
    To help fall asleep, take right before bedtime.

All the above can be bought from Pro Health, be sure to ask for a free catalog/Newsletter too. If you want to call the number is; 1-800-366-6056 or you can order on-line. Just go to the 'Store' link on the top right of this page for additional information on supplements.

Product; Essiac Herbal Tea by Resperin Corp.
    This is a blood/liver cleanser. It is also known as a cancer cure/preventive.
    I take two ounces in the morning two ounces at night.
    Can be bought at most health food stores and Supplement catalogs.

Product; Polynesian Pure Noni Juice
    (I take one teaspoon before breakfast, one before lunch for my IBS, it is a great product). I order it by the case!
    Can be bought in most health food stores, be sure you get the 'pure' juice or it won't work.

Product; Natural Calm put out by 'Natural Vitality'
    This is a powdered Magnesium Citrate.
    (I take a teaspoon a day for pain, especially spasms . But don't take too much it will give you diarrhea).

This is about it for the time being, as for a multi vitamin, I have trouble digesting them, so I drink two cans of Ensure a day for the multi.

Also, I drink half my body weight in ounces of water per day, along with a quarter teaspoon of Sea Salt. This has helped with severe sinus headaches, and it seems to have helped the Fibro Fog too.

Here is some good advice; I strongly recommend you add ONE thing at a time for at least a week or two, this way if you have a problem with a product/supplement, you know what is causing it. If you try to take too much at once then if you have a problem, you would have to quit everything and start over again.
    I learned this the hard way, so though I would pass on this wise advice!

It took me years to get the right things that I could take. Wasted a lot of money on eyerything from doctors, prescription meds, and vitamins and herbs too.

Just remember, we are all different, so some of what I take might not be the right thing for you. It really is trial and error with these illnesses.

Hope this helps, and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I am usually here everyday, but not at a special time.

PS, always buy the best supplements you can afford, as you really get what you pay for with supplements. Pro Health has some of the best ones I have ever taken, and I am not just promoting them, its the truth. I have taken there products before I ever heard of this board.
  18. pam_d

pam_d New Member

....and I'm not cavileer enough to say I'm "cured", no way, just about 60-70% improved at this point.

Symptoms: neuro ones, like muscle twitching, feet tingling, swollen-feeling hands, some flu-like pain & fatigue.

Improved by: Learning I had "leaky gut" syndrome & some severe food allergies (milk, gluten, soy, eggs among the worst) after thorough testing. Eliminated those things in my diet & added probiotics, digestive enzymes, & other supps, including ones for liver.

For anyone whose symptoms are still a complete "mystery" I recommend thorough allergy testing. I originally went in for candida testing, thinking I had a systemic yeast issue----what I ended up finding out amazed me & probably has kept me from getting a whole lot worse. And in the past few months, I'm starting to feel a lot better! (And the 25 lbs. I've lost so far on this diet hasn't hurt, either!)

Hugs,
    Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 06/21/2003]
  19. cindye

cindye New Member

Followed the guaifensin protocol set up by Dr. St. Amand in his book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You Abour Fibromyalgia" If I could get rid of the fatigue it would be great!
  20. desertlily

desertlily New Member

I have CFIDS and FM, and am dealing with all the regular symptoms of fatigue, flu-like symptoms, pain, muscle weakness, etc, etc , you get the idea. Anyway, I haven't found anything that takes away the flu symptoms, (still working on that, I'm going to be trying Imunovir here soon, so we'll see).

But I take the Wellness Formual vitamin from Pro Health (it's a powder that you mix and drink and I think I aborb my vitamins better in a liquid form) I take Cal-Mag (calcium and magnesium citrate - also in liquid form). I'm on NADH, Co Q10, L-carnitine to try and help with energy. Also taking flax oil and borage oil, which as a side note, I think has helped tremendously with my PMS symptoms - great stuff.

The best thing though that has helped my fatigue is the magnesium injections that I take once a week. I take 1 gram and I've noticed a huge difference. If I push myself a little too much, I seem to be able to recover much faster than before - the fatigue isn't gone, but my enevelope of ability has expanded some (I'll take whatever I can get, right?!)

For sleep I've found the combination of Klonopin 0.5 mg and doxepin 0.5 cc (pediatric dose) to be very helpful. I have problems with restless leg syndrome and twitching muscles and difficulty falling asleep, so the Klonopin helps wonderfully with that and the doxepin helps with maintaining sleep. I still have some trouble with early morning wakefullness, but at least I'm doing much, much better than before.

For muscle pain, not too much has been helpful with flares, I'm thinking about trying Ultram next. For local severe pain (I have areas in my neck and shoulders) I use Lidoderm patches( 5% topical lidocaine), especially at night when I'm trying to go to sleep, they are very helpful!

Anyway, I found this to be a very helpful posting, I'm getting lots of good ideas from others. It's so interesting to see all of the different things that work for different people, we are all so unique.