What Did I Forget Now? The Fibrofog Experience

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ProHealth, Dec 3, 2009.

1. ProHealth

ProHealth Member

From the ProHealth Library -
    What Did I Forget Now? The Fibrofog Experience
    by Eunice Beck, RN

Dear Friends,

Whether you call it cognitive deficits or fibrofog, the intellectual and perceptual difficulties that come with this disease are no fun, unless you try to deal with them with some humor and a bit of organization. You can develop small habits to trigger your memory. I’m sure all of us can relate to the short story below, author unknown. (Remember, I said we need a sense of humor.)

Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder (AAADD)

This is how it manifests: I need to wash my car. As I start toward the garage, I notice that there is mail on the hall table. I decide to go through the mail before washing the car. I put my car keys down on the table, put the junk mail in the trash under the table, and notice that the trash can is full.

So, I decide to put the bills back on the table to take out the trash first. But then I say to myself, since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take out the trash anyway, I might as well pay the bills first.

I take my check book off the table, and see that there is only one check left. My extra checks are in my desk in the study, so I go to my desk where I find a bottle of coke that I had been drinking.

I'm about to look for my checks, but first I need to push the coke aside so that I wouldn't accidentally knock it over. I notice that the coke is getting warm, so I decide that I should put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold...

Continue Reading Here:

[This Message was Edited on 12/03/2009]
  2. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

This is a great story beginning lol.

It should be called.....A day In The Life Of A Fibromite!!!!.

Going to read the rest of the story now lol.

3. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

The story is about me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.It is what happens in my everyday life and I also think......where has the day gone???

I struggle with really horrendous short term memory and I think the only way to get by is to laugh at yourself.

My phone can ring and I will have a chat with my sister or someone and put the phone down.
    My hubby will say ....Who was that?.......Im like.......I cant remember lol.Im 30 seconds !!!!!!.

Then I am like a parrot repeating myself

It does upset me it when my grand-daughter(age 5) says...........You just told me that 10 times lol.

But I have learnt to just get over it instead of letting it worry me.I used to think people will think I am nuts because of the way I have become but now I dont go out so I dont worry.

Good post

4. MsE

MsE New Member

So I forget stuff. But these days, since I am definitely a senior citizen, I have to pay a bit of attention to covering up some of my more forbidable gaffs or I'll find my kids sort of giving each other one of those "Hmmm. Do you think Mom is okay? Suppose one of us should get her to move in with them?" looks. One of my daughters has expressed some worry about my forgetfulness. (She just turned 50 [I think I can remember being only 50] and age is on her mind.) I tell her I'll let her know when I forget to turn off the burners. Bless her little heart--she should read some of the stuff on this board. Some of the "I Forget" entries I've read over the years make me howl with laughter. LOL

5. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

I resemble that!!! LOL this was hilarious.

At least we KNOW we forget; that's Half's-Heimer, not
    Alzheimer's, for which I have to remember to be grateful.

6. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

Tell your daughter I have been forgetting to turn off the burners for 4 years now lol.

I really scaremyself........and my hubby lol!!!