what did you read in school?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shannonsparkles, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I remember that in high school we read Animal Farm, 1984, and All Quiet on the Western Front pretty much one after the other. When the next war book we were going to read was announced, I blurted in frustration, without bothering to raise my hand, "WHY IS EVERY BOOK WE READ ABOUT POLITICS?"

The teacher, recovering from his surprise, answered that it was because politics are so much a part of life. Huh, I wanted to ask. Luckilly, I was taking English Lit too, so we got more variety there.

What did you all read in high school? Which poems/books did you like? How did you do on the assignments? Do you feel that what you read then has helped you in some way with the rest of your life?

No one's getting detention. ;)
    ((hugs!)) Shannon
    [This Message was Edited on 12/02/2006]
  2. Shannonsparkles

... she read it in its original language. When I read Chaucer, our class got the simplified, modern language version.

I asked her why this was. Did this mean, I asked her, that teachers thought students weren't as smart nowadays as they used to be?

No, she said, it means that grown ups in the olden times weren't smart enough to translate it for us.

3. Shannonsparkles

Don't you love it when teachers bring in the movie version of a book to suppliment our education? :) It's two hours of bliss that every student cherishes.

In elementary school, we got to read Big Red. I'm pretty sure that this is the one where for part of the book, the boy works with the dog in dog shows. The teacher agreed to show us the movie version, but warned us that it was "just to show you how different the movie version can be from the book."

For some reason, in the movie, the producers had decided to make the boy a blonde, poofy-haired French kid. I'll always remember this line: "I em lairning English from a booook." lol
  4. larryh

larryh New Member

School was so boring I really don't remember any thing I read in school. My grandmother was a country school teacher and I could read quite a bit when I started kidnergarten. I read Shakespear while I was in grade school from the books my grandmother had. After that I read nearly everything I could get my hands on. Mostly way above my age level and sometimes not approved. lol

5. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

(smile) everything I could get my hands on!

I'd start with the fiction A's and work right through the fiction section before tackling the non-fiction. About a book a day on average.

We were military and moved every couple of years. That worked out about right for me because by then I'd be wanting to move on to the next library for something new to read!

Best wishes,
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

The Pigman, Of Mice and Men, Catcher in the Rye, A Tale of Two Cities, the short stories of Edgar Allen Poe. During my senior year, we spent the entire year reading Shakespeare (15 plays). I became an English teacher, so I guess they had an influence on me!

Funny thing, though, that often what I think about most are the stories I read in elementary school, when I was learning to read. One was about a boy who survived a ride in a log flume in the Sierra Nevada. The other was about a girl who was home alone, but a tiger was in her driveway. She threw a steak into her garage and trapped the tiger there. I'll probably never find these stories or the readers they were in again. But I'll never forget them.

Another thing I've noticed is that English isn't just "English" anymore; nowadays, students read not just the English or American classics we used to read, but novels from African-American, Chinese-American, Native American, and works from other cultural backgrounds. And it's not just male writers either, like Poe, Dickens, Chaucer, Shakespeare. Today's kids read Amy Tan, Alice Walker, Leslie Silko, Maya Angelou, and a host of others. I think their worlds are broader in some senses.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/03/2006]
  7. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

In grade two, our teacher read aloud to the class, from front to finish, Tom Sawyer. If we were 'good', she would read to us for the last fifteen minutes of every day. It was lovely!

The most memorable book I read in school was The Chrystalis by John Wyndham. Great book!

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

only remember one novel that we read. It was Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott. The only other two long works we read were MacBeth and Evangeline by H.W. Longfellow.

We had to memorize the prologue. "This is the forest primeval, the murmuring pines and hemlocks stand like druids of old..." That's all I can rmember after half a century.

We had to make booklets after reading these works. Pauline Kunkat was the only one in the class who could draw. She always got an A for her fine artwork.

Hey Fight, Upton Sinclair remindes me of his friend and contemporary Sinclair Lewis. Lewis was from Sauk Center, Minnesota. He once had a cup of coffee in the father's cafe.

This is the man who won the Nobel Prize for literature. I asked my father what he remembered. He said, "He had a terrible complexion."

Some boxer (Dempsey or somebody) owned a restaurant in Minneapolis. My father once shook hands with him. He talked about that for the rest of his life.
  9. rockgor

and dozens of other authors who keep Sherlock alive and well.
  10. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I think the book you are referring to is by Upton Sinclair
    "The Jungle" about Chicago slaughter houses! Enuff to
    make a Vegan out of the strongest McDonald's Customer!

My first reading was about Dick, Jane, Puff and Spot!

Run, Spot! See Spot run. Run, run Spot! Chase Puff!
    Run, run Puff! See Spot chase Puff! Run, Jane. See
    Dick chase Jane! Say no, no, said SMG!!

Rock remembers these first readings, hah Rocky!

MRDAD "Run, run Mrdad, away and away!
  11. rockgor

I remember See Spot Run. Not a lot of character development, but plenty of action.

Somewhere along the line they stopped using those inspirational readers. That's when the great decline began. Modern kids don't learn nothin'.
  12. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

I remember when I realized that every time I came to a big word it was going to be either "Grandmother" or "surprise". It sure helped a lot! LOL

Best wishes,
  13. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i had a similar experience to your grandma. we read beowolf in old english at my school, kind of odd but cool. my favorite forced reading was edgar allen poe, but for fun i read stphen king and anne rice. it all has kind of the same creepy theme going on.