What do I do about...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Feb 2, 2006.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

I feel like I am not doing my job very well or completely at work. Lately I am so tired all the time, the fibro pain has been up, and by afternoon I've had it, and really I am not very productive. I take care of the students as they come in, but I'm not getting other stuff done.

Other than feeling guilty, I don't know what to do. I take pride in my work (I'm an RN, a school nurse) and my colleagues and the students don't know I feel like such a fraud.

I really can't take extended time off, as I am leaving this job at the end of June, to go join my spouse in northern CA. I want to do a good job for my remaining time here, but so much is not getting done right now.

I don't know if there are any answers out there, but I need to talk about this. Where else but here would people understand???

Peace,
    Beth.
  2. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

Honey, I'm so sorry your feeling this way...I know the guilty feeling all to well...but we shouldn't feel that way...we can't help it. I know you take pride in your work hun...

And you are not a fraud...you do the best you can and like you said you take pride in your work....all you can do is your best sweetie.

I know, I can't give alot of advise here or the perfect solution...but just want you to know your not a fraud!!!! Your doing all you can do hun. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers!!

Just take one day at a time...one step at a time.

Hope this helped some!!

((((((BIG CYBER HUGS)))))
    ~Bluerose~
  3. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

I find myself distracted more easily. My work is not what it was - not even close. But what has helped me be more productive is that I take short breaks after short tasks, or breaks during large tasks. Such as checking things out on this board, or I will read news websites, get up walk around a bit, or do some research.

I have found that I have been getting a hole lot more done now than before.
  4. russiankids3

russiankids3 New Member

I'm sure you are doing your very best at your job considering the tolls this DD takes on a body and brain.

I am also an RN who had loved my previous job in a childrens hospital. I kept hoping things would change and that I'd be able to give it my 100%. Eventually I was at a point where I just physically and mentally could not safely do this job.

Went into ped home health care and just love it, thank God.

Please don't feel guilty!!! Continue to do the best you can until the school year ends. Is there a secretary or someone in the office that could help you out?

It sounds like the kids are your first priority which makes you a great nurse in my opinion. The paperwork and the rest are secondary to this. It will get done eventually. Believe me, I live by this motto when it comes to paperwork.

Will be thinking of you and praying you can make it through.

Take care.
    Sue
  5. jonskanlan

jonskanlan New Member

Beth, What you wrote really hits home and I do empathize with you completely. I know all about that guilty feeling. My therapist did help me by emphasizing that in the situation of "you at work"...YOU are the most important part of it. And taking care of yourself, in any way necessary is the way to go. I am sure that you are very good at your job and maybe you can still be very good but perhaps for not so many hours all at once. Breaks are just as important as any other tool or skill that you might have. And this board is a constant source of rejuvination for me during the day and I don't feel a bit guilty about pulling up this website whenever and for as many times as needed during the day. Hold on and take care of yourself !

with love,
    jon
  6. BethM

BethM New Member

as I read your replies. (I hope no one walks into my office...)

You are all abolutely right. I do take breaks, maybe too many, some onto this site, some in the guise of researching something health related, sometimes just an excuse to go check my physical mailbox in another building.

Lately though we've been so busy that my 4th period student aides have been reminding me it's time for me to go to lunch! My assistant leaves at 1:15, so if I don't get out by about 12:30, I don't get a lunch break. very sweet of them to take care of me that way!

Next week will be a 4 day week for me, as I am flying up north next Thursday night to surprise my darling spouse for her birthday. It's been so hard to keep this a secret! Part of my stress is us being apart so long. We haven't seen each other since January 4th, and we've been doing this since May 1st last year. I'll be moving up north permanently after the school year ends in June.

I know I'll feel better after my weekend away!

It's Friday, the kids start late on Fridays so we can have meetings and such, so it's a shorter day with the kids. Always nice for me.

I will keep your good advice in mind, and persevere. Maybe I can work part time after I move. It's a good thought.

Peace and TGIF,
    Beth.