***What do MCS people use for the dishwasher??***

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jeanne-in-Canada, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

To the experienced w/ chemical sensitivities:

I'm having a time finding something I don't react to, that actually works properly too. It would be good to find a gentle, unscented rinse agent too.

We started out w/ Seventh Generation, an unscented detergent from the health store. Expensive like crazy, and left a hard chalky film that's really hard to even scrub off. I thought I'd try No Name brand lemon from the grocers, their lemon products don't usually bother me mcuh. It worked quite well, but I'm sicker than a dog today and I ran the dishwasher in the middle of the night to avoid the fumes.

Thanks,

Jeanne
  2. peachbunnee

peachbunnee New Member

I was about to suggest Seventh Generation - that's what I currently have - plus I also have little to no trouble with liquid Palmolive dishwasher detergent. I can't say that it cleans super well, but it doesn't bother me like using Cascade did.

peachbunnee
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

I appreciate all suggestions. Sunlight for dishwasher may be an option. Duh, never thought of it even though I've used Sunlight dishsoap all over the house for years. I guess it's because I stopped being able to use the laundry soap years ago, but duh anyways.

Jeanne
  4. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

shaklee basic D powdered dishwasher concentrate. it has no smell and the box lasts a long time. you have to get it a shaklee dealer, however. blessings to you. Jen102
  5. cobie

cobie New Member

I find ECOVER Dishwashing powder is great as well as other products it makes. Its made in the UK but i get mine thru Golden Glow in Australia. Cheers Cobie
  6. BethM

BethM New Member

you might look at the website for Sun and Earth (type it in without spaces and add the usual ending), a company that makes environmentally healthy cleaning supplies. I haven't tried their products, just saw their site yesterday. I don't know if it'll work for you, but they do make a dishwasher detergent.

If you try their stuff, please post about it, ok?

thanks!

Beth.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/12/2005]
  7. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

Have you tried mixing white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda and making your own diswasher detergent? Mix about 1 cup of vinegar and 1/3 -1/2 cup bicarb, together and put them straight into the dishwasher. Will be too much for the dispenser. This might not do heavily soiled dishes, unless you soak them first, but it is rather effective.
  8. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

I use white vinegar insead of rinse aid, & put a mug of it through a full cycle every couple of months instead of using the descalers. It's interesting to hear your suggestions about substitute detergent, as the commercial ones are so bad for the enviroment - thanks!
  9. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I posted asking where you had got to a week or so ago, hadnt seen you around.

Just to let you know I took your advice on B5 and it has helped a lot, my feet still hurt but not nearly as bad as they did.

I find all the cosmetics, face creams, detergents etc. that are unscented and 'healthy' are too expensive for me - they are in UK anyway.

love
    Rosie
  10. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I love Seventh Generation, but we don't have hard water. Maybe it reacts with some of the minerals in your water and makes the film. My dishes are actually cleaner than when I was using the brand-name chlorine detergents - no streaks, spots or film. Maybe you could mix a little salt in the detergent holders to soften the water a bit.

Jan
  11. shelbo

shelbo New Member

12. Jeanne-in-Canada

For now I bought Sunlight today, it claims to be 2 in 1 w/ rinse agent too. An expensive brand, so I hope it works, I've spent almost $20 bucks in detergent lately. Ack.

I may try the vinegar tip if I need to. I'm sensitive to it, but not as bad as I used to be. It is great to keep reds from bleeding in the laundry too. I get Ron to run it through the coffee pot, has to be done outside though, hot steamy vinegar would half kill me. Can't be as bad an option as the NO Name brand was, man was I sick all day. Should have known it was a bad sign when the scent stayed on my hands just from handling the box.

ECOVER seems to be available in Canada, if I have to keep searching. Some mentioned liking the Seventh Generation, and maybe adding salt. I tried adding baking soda, a type of salt, but made it worse. And yes, we have very hard well water. We are hoping to get our water softened and UV'd by the new year.

Jeanne
    [This Message was Edited on 11/13/2005]