What do they have in common?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Aug 19, 2013.

1. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

1. Bill Clinton
    2. Willie Shoemaker
    3. Orville Wright
    4. Roy Rogers
    5. Ogden Nash

Just something to stimulate your mind.

Rock

2. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Hmmmm I don't know most of them but they all seem to be male :)
  3. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Soul

You are absolutely right. All male. And they have some other similarities including not having met
    Diane. (Their loss.)

Yes, John Stamos could be on the list, but not Kyra Sedgwick.

Rock
  4. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Oh, yes, Diane. Stamos could be on the list. That was correct. So was Soul's answer. And there are other similarities. Therefore, there can be lots of winners.

Here are a couple T Shirt bits of wisdom I found on the net:

Wearer is Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult.

If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Rock
  5. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

I'll claim the top T Shirt as my prize :p
  6. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

I asked google and now know what links them together (I think) but that means that there are more then one qualification that makes them qualify right? Since the ladies seem to be unqualified for the list.... ? o_O Next to being males that never met Diane or me and the thing that connects them to Kyra is there anything else? Oh wait a sec... Roy Rogers seems to be a different collective factor... hmmm
  7. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Rock is that Roy Rogers Junior or Senior.... ??? Somehow he doesn't seem to fit in the list... unless ofcourse I'm on the wrong track...
  8. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Yup, Diane, the T shirts are great. I just found 'em, I didn't coin them. But as Ralph Waldo
    Emerson said:
    "The next best thing to saying a good thing yourself, is to quote one."~Ralph Waldo Emerson".

He also said:

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."

Roy Rogers is Senior; the famous cowboy. He fits perfectly into the group, Soul. So do Woody
    Allen, John Goodman and Boots Randolph. Yes, the guys in the group have several similarities.
    Time for my nap. I 'spect you'll have it all figured out when I get back.

Racing off to the tune of "Yakety Yak".
    Rock
  9. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

:confused: Luckily Diane knows the answer, I'm totally lost now o_O You did a great job putting me on the wrong track ;)
  10. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Maybe found another clue...

Am I correct to say that Wilbur Wright could not be on this list but Barack Obama could???
  11. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

LOL Diane, now we have to be in suspense until rock's nap finishes, we are being tortured :eek:

Ooooh Ralph Waldo Emerson could also be on the list right????
  12. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

Are they all Dems? I didn't do a search on all of them...jam
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Same birthday? Just guessing. I'm too tired to look it up.

Love, Mikie
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Or, are they all six degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon? Just another silly guess.

Love, Mikie
  15. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

we can sing happy birthday to each of them today
  16. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

No we can't sing happy birthday to all of them, check Roy Rogers and the later few, what we have including the adittions done along the way of those who DO fit in the list so far is this:

Boots Randolph
    John Stamos
    Woody Allen
    John Goodman
    John Stamos
    Bill Clinton
    Willie Shoemaker
    Orville Wright
    Roy Rogers
    Ogden Nash

And the birthday was a misleading one I think :p Since from the first five posted, one did NOT have the same birthday. I have to get some rest now myself so will be curious to find if the suggestions I made are right... Will check back next thing in the morning, bet I'm gonna dream about it LOL
  17. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids JWU (Just woke up.) My back is acting up. Took me 20 min to get outta bed.
    Let me see if I can keep this straight. I know you'll understand if I don't.

Yes, Sunflower, when I started, the crux of the thread was that they all had the same birthday; today:
    August 19. At least the sites I looked at said they did.

And later I noticed they all had at least one "O" in their name. And then I added more "O" guys
    who had different birthdays. On accounta my feeble brain forgot about the birthday part. So
    yes, Soul, Ralph Waldo Emerson fit, and so did Orville, but not Wilbur. Right?

Jam, I don't know about Dems. I did read that Woody was an active Dem; don't know about
    the others.

Mikie, don't know about Bacon degrees, but I'm sure it's there. It takes so many people to make
    a movie there are almost sure to be connections with the extras, grips, musicians, editors,
    etc. even if not with the stars.

BTW, I read a few years ago that the original 6 degrees of separation experiment was flawed.
    I'm not gonna research it now. But some gal went to work at the university where the professor
    had done his experiment a long time ago. He gave people envelopes and asked them to send them
    to people in New York. Most, maybe all, were able to do it by relying on personal connections.

The flaw was that he did not use a random sample. All the people had stockbrokers in NY.

I didn't know anything about Kyra, Diane. Looked her up; discovered she was an actress. I
    wonder if she pronounces her name like Julie's granddaughter Keira. Maybe the first one is
    "Ky" and the second one is "Ker". Which reminds me of Deborah Kerr and John Carr pronunciation
    confusion. Many years ago there were in some movie together. I forgot the name. It
    should have been titled The Curse of something or other.

Oh, yeah. Other similarities. All men as previously noted. All Americans. All carbon-based
    life forms. (Dave Barry uses that one a lot.) All winners: of races, prizes, trophies, awards, etc.
    All have biographies on line or in book form or both.

And all have at least one "O". And some have the same birthday. And I'd say there's a good chance
    you appreciate at least on the list.

As to the winner, you get ten points for each similarity you pointed out. And ten points for
    playing. And you need five points to win. So you are all winners. But then you are all winners
    in my book before the game even started.

Rock
  18. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

YAY, congrats all winners :p And thanks winner Rock for hosting this wonderful game! The birthday thing made it even more fun and puzzling :)
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I used to have a tee shirt which read: Does anal retentive have a hyphen?

The answer is that sometimes, yes, and sometimes, no.

Example: He is very anal retentive.

He is a very anal-retentive person.

I got a lot of laughs when I wore it to the gym.

Love, Mikie
  20. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Hehe, I guess I was the one being to anal retentive (learning new words here) then :p I thought the birthday thing was a clever way to mislead us into thinking that was the common factor.