What do u do in a flare and work?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lebra, Aug 2, 2003.

1. lebra

lebra New Member

What do you do when you are in flare and in pain and extremely fatiqued to the point where you cant work full time? I have been feeling terrible for the last week and not getting better fast, although doing all the treatments and medications I should do. I hold a full time job and I am really worried that I will not be able to do this long. I do not want to give this up because it is something I love and benefit from.
    Thanks,
    [This Message was Edited on 08/02/2003]
  2. insomniac1

insomniac1 New Member

Hi i will pray for you i to just went back to full time work after 4 years of being off. i started this past week. i am so scared every morning when i wake up that i wont be able to make it through the day. i have to we need the money right now. i just go to work and come home and i am in bed within an hour i hope you will be able to stay at your job. kris
  3. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

I think this a fear most of us have to deal with.
    I too work full time and it is such an effort. My job is physically demanding and not all that fulfilling. I have been there 8 yrs. and the pay and benefits are what keep me trucking. For my neck of the woods and being 51 and a highschool graduate it is unlikely to find anything comparable.
    I worry all the time about not being able to keep working.
    I have a mortgage in my name after divorcing 3 yrs. ago.
    There was only 4 yrs left to pay on it but the divorce was imperative to my emotional and mental well being so for many reasons I fought for the house and had to refinance for 15 yrs.. I am thankful I was able to do it but scared that I wont be able to make it.
    My honey has been out of work for 10 months due to an injury. Finally had surgery in June and was awarded workmans comp but we were really scratching for 6 months of that time.
    I have always lived paycheck to paycheck and raised 3 children plus had grandchildren to support for much of the past 13 yrs..
    It is truley a 'one day at time' life.
    I have just started looking into options for finances for if the time comes I cannot stay in the work world.
    SSDI...LTD from work....reverse mortgage etc..
    For now I just am thankful I can keep on dragging myself to work. At least with no children at this point to care for I can come home and crash most days.
    I hope you will be able to carry on for as long as you need to.
    Pammy
  4. EZBRUZR

EZBRUZR New Member

lebr, I hope you get tons of ideas,there are many out here!Cool thing bout that is ya can find what's Best 4 U!! :) Good Luck,ez
  5. karenq

karenq New Member

I don't have any ideas on what to do, but I certainly do go through the same thing. I am a teacher and fortunately have been on vacation since July 3, but I have to go back to work on August 11. It has been so nice to be able to rest when my body needed rest. I kind of dread having to go back to work on the 11th knowing that I will have to get up early (groan, groan) and stress my already fatigued and stressed body. There are many days when I don't think I will be able to work any longer, but thank goodness, I have always made it somehow.

I hope you will find a solution that works for you. Maybe your flare will be over soon!

Karen

6. lebra

lebra New Member

Thank you all very much for your response and your support. I guess this is a very common problem among us. I have been out for four days and need to go back but I am so exhausted. I am going to push though, hoping getting to it will help me feel some better. Thanks again!
    Lee
  7. Clevertoes

Clevertoes New Member

Hi lebra, I have read lots of posts and histories where people are unable to work and it worries me. I work in a high stress job in municipal government. I love it. While it is not physically taxing at this point to me, it is a constant mental challenge, which I enjoy. For me, it may be that I am really 'driven' and could sometimes be referred to as a workaholic. I feel these tendencies have a strong link to my recent diagnose of fibo. I have much history that points to my inability to slow down and relax, and I feel my body is exerting necessary control and trying to show me what my attitude is doing to it!! My children are grown and I have a very supportive husband who helps a lot with cooking, etc. I have had days when it takes me two hours to get ready for work and I have to literally force myself to go. Once I get myself started, I make it through the day, but am at times depleted when arriving home. However, for me, I know that sucuuming to this disease would quickly and surely let it take over entirely and would be the worse thing for me. I have considerable pain with the group of muscles in and to my thumbs, and that led to my diagnosis. I am on meds now and also take celebrex as needed, but find a hot water bottle helps as well. My greatest concern is the memory and sometimes inability to concentrate that I am experiencing. I just try to work on things that dont take as much concentration on bad days and that seems to work for me. I am trying not to dwell on the symptoms but to manage them as best I can and optimize good days. I wanted you to know that worries about not working are very real to me also, and that all I feel I can do is to try keeping on keeping on. God Bless and I hope you can continue working.
  8. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

At first my boss let me go up to the conference room or down to the lunch room so I could do some of my stretching exercises. The pain and fatigue got so bad I ended up working 6 hours a day instead of 8 but was still considered full time with benefits. Then I got so bad that I had to take a leave of absence. When I went back I tried to work 6 hours a day but it didn't work out, so I went to 4 hours a day, then 3 hours a day. Until finally I just couldn't take it anymore and went back on a leave of absence. I was on a leave for two months when I finally faced the fact that I could not work anymore and filed for SSD.