What do we do for test without insurance?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keke466, Nov 2, 2005.

1. keke466

keke466 New Member

If we don't have insurance because we can't get it or can't afford it what do we do when we need to get tests done? I've seen many on here that might benefit me and others but how can we get them if they know we can't afford them? I've been told I can't get ins. cause of FM,is this true?

Keke
  2. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I don't know where you live but in Tennessee where I live, we don't have a government insurance anymore thanks to our "stupid, self centered, rich" governor. We had an insurance called TennCare but he has singlehandedly destroyed so many people's lives here with cutting it off. I know people on dialysis and other life supporting devices who have been cut from the TennCare role and are un-insurable thru regular companies due to pre-existing conditions or the fact that the premiums are so high they can't afford them. Most of us are unable to work to begin with or we would probably have insurance thru our work place. The ironic thing about this is the ones who have never worked a day in their life and been on welfare from birth were not cut and lots of them go to the doctor repeatedly and get prescriptions which they in turn take to the street and sell. I am not saying there is anything wrong with welfare or state assistance but there is when good honest people are turned down with no where to turn to just because they have always worked and own a home. Where is the justice? I am currently on COBRA which will run out in about six months and I do not know what I will do at that time. I am scared to death about losing my coverage but with not being able to work, I definitely can't pay high payments for coverage and my husband's work does not provide any insurance. He doesn't even have any coverage for himself now. I just pray something will change for us and I will pray for you too. Maybe someone who lives in your area will have a positive answer for you but I really needed to vent about it here in Tennessee. Hope you are having a good day.
    Stinker56
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

There is a program for low income.When you see there doctor you only pay what you can afford.

You stay with the same doctor even if it is a clinic.

They also have an in house pharmacy .A script for all the meds cost between 1.00 and 25.00 depending what it is.If you cant pay even that they lower the price.We also have a dental clinic.

I don't use it but my sister who is very low income does I take her there all the time.Her physical and meds. only cost 8.00.It also includes all her test.

Contact your state agency's

Good luck
    Sue
    [This Message was Edited on 11/03/2005]
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

Hi, Keke!

I'm sorry that you don't have any insurance. Have you checked to see if you qualify for a medical card? Even if you are working, you still might qualify.

If I didn't have any insurance, the only tests that I would be having done would be those as a matter of life and death! You know, if I thought I had heart trouble, kidney problems, or something like that. Tests are just too expensive and sometimes don't really prove anything!

What about free medical clinics--any close to you?

I would think that you would be able to get medical insurance even though you have FM, but any individual policy that is going to cover any decent amount, will cost you a fortune.

Hugs,
    Janet
  5. cgaspard100

cgaspard100 New Member

I worked in the health insurance industry for several years, so I wanted to address your question about obtaining health insurance with FM or any other illness.

First, you need to determine under which scenario you apply to:

1.) Have you recently lost your health insurance through a previous employer? If so, you have 60 days to find a new insurance policy, either privately or through another employer. If this applies to you, then the insurance company cannot deny you medical coverage for a pre-existing condition such as Fibromyalgia. You also will be protected from any pre-existing clauses the new policy may have.

2.) Have you been without health insurance of any kind in the past 60 days? If so, then insurance companies have a right to assess your medical status and determine the risk you would pose as an new client. A pre-existing condition CAN easily make you uninsurable.

If an insurance company decides to provide a policy to you under these circumstances, the company has the right to charge you any fee that deem necessary to insure you. This usually makes insurance completely unaffordable to anybody with a pre-existing condition.

Also, if you are able to somehow afford the rate you are charged for private insurance in this scenario, the policy will contain a pre-existing clause, meaning that ALL of your medical expenses pertaining to a pre-existing condition will be DENIED for the period specified, usually 1 to 2 years.

I wish I had better news for you. Check with your local and state governments to see if there are any programs available to assist you.
  6. cgaspard100

cgaspard100 New Member

Kgangel:

Unfortunately the information you stated is not true at all. An insurance company DOES have the right to refuse a health insurance policy due to ANY pre-existing condition. And trust me.... they do this ALL the time.

The ONLY exception to this rule is if you have continuing health insurance coverage and are protected by the federal HIPAA laws. The ONLY way you are protected is if you leave one group-sponsored (employer) insurance plan and get another plan within 60 days.

If someone tries to obtain a private insurance policy, and there was no previous health insurance coverage in the past 60 days, then that person is subjected to a ton of scrutiny and an up-hill battle.

And by the way, if you choose to LIE about your medical history, as you eluded to, you will be caught, and you will be dropped from coverage. Insurance companies have the right to obtain all of your historical medical records in order to determine how to rule on your claims. If you LIE about your medical history, they will find it in a heartbeat. This is common practice. If you have a brand new insurance policy and it contains a pre-existing clause, 99% of the time the insurance company WILL research your medical records before paying or denying your claim. You can't get away with that mess!!!!

Oh, and being denied for Fibromyalgia has NOTHING to do with it being a legitimate health problem or not. It is a CHRONIC HEALTH CONDITION which means that the insurance company will be paying your claims for this condition for the life of the policy. They will indeed refuse you medical insurance in a heartbeat for ANY health condition, including Fibromyalgia.

The "Family Health Plus" is not something available to everyone. Programs will vary by state and city. Every state has a different form of Medicaid. Some states offer health programs to its citizens, and some cities offer additional programs. You should always check to see if your county has a health clinic if you need care as well. Also, some hospitals offer programs, such as discount cards and help for the uninsured. Like someone else mentioned, in my state of Tennessee, there is NO help for people who are uninsured. Private hospitals and doctors are losing money and going bankrupt because the uninsured population cannot afford necessary healthcare. But once again, there are various discount card programs and hospitals run by the city cannot turn you away if you can't pay.

Sorry.... I just had to clear this up. I worked in health insurance management for 5 years and then in health care management for 7 more years. I'd rather people know the reality, even when it is harsh.

Cindy G.

My husband and I are having a difficult time now too with me like this and unable to work. We are going down to talk with someone about family health plus. It is an insurance available to lower income families. It does not cost anything and sometimes it is through medicaid too somehow, I don't really understand it. We are hoping we don't have to be on it long,but we need the help now.

You don't even have to tell of your health problems when you go for your insurance but even if you do FM is a legitimate problem and they can not turn you down. If someone tells you it is not, tell them to look it up on the Arthritis foundation and they will find it. "

[This Message was Edited on 11/04/2005]
  7. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Some counties within TN are putting together programs to help those who are low income and have lost their insurance
    (TNcare)

Our county recently had a 2 day clinic set up at the high school. Doctors (not all local, some were from elsewhere)
    Dentists & optomotrist provided free care. I know people who got their teeth worked on and free eyeglasses as well.

I don't know think they would do the kind of tests that KeKe was talking about, but who knows?

I live in DeKalb County, I would suggest those in other Tennessee counties call the county executive or county mayor to see if programs are available in your county.

I am fortunate to still be covered under a group policy where I am employed. I know if I lost that coverage I would not be able to get health insurance anywhere else. I tried several years ago and was denied.