What do we rule out?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fransmom, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Fransmom

Fransmom New Member

I've been suffering from pain and fatigue since last summer. Dx with RA in October, undiagnosed in December. Now I'm taking tramadol for pain and trying to get my PCP to move on trying to diagnose me with SOMETHING! I've been reading about FM and that you have to rule out other things - but no one says exactly what we are supposed to rule out. Does anyone know what these things are? I'm seeing my PCP on Thursday and want to be able to present him with some ideas about what to explore next. I don't just want to 'wait and see' darn it! Thanks!
  2. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

Honestly? You have to rule out just about everything, meaning autoimmune diseases (RA, lupus, MS...to name a few), thyroid dysfunction, lyme disease, etc. The doctor should and probably will put you through a battery of tests before giving you the official FM diagnosis. Also may want to read up on the symptoms of ME/CFS because they often go hand-in-hand, and the symptoms are similar as well. With ME/CFS, though, the bigger issue is the fatigue whereas with FM the pain is the more pressing issue.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Hugs,
    Kim