What Do You Do About Burnout?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by doloresf1, Apr 18, 2008.

1. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired! I just don't care anymore.

I try and try to remain positive and to improve my health, but it just cannot be done. The pain and fatigue always win. There's no moving forward.

The future will probably hold strong pain med and a wheelchair. What's the use of pretending any differently.

I don't even want to try anymore. I'm burned out.

2. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I know that you are tired. I know that you hurt. BUT.......Think about it for a minute or two.....Are you going to really feel better being in that wheelchair???? Is the pain going to be any less sitting in that thing all day long???? Are you going to be any less tired being in a wheelchair????

I don't think that you can answer these questions with a YES!!!!!!!

Yup it sucks to be in pain, and to be positive, but sitting in a wheelchair isn't so pretty either. Keep fighting. Take care of yourself, and pamper yourself every few days....

It helps...
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

That is what under-treated pain can do to you. I wanted to ask if you have tried Limbrel. It is a very new drug for osteo-arthritis and my husband had a great result.

He was in so much pain, knees and his thumb joint. He was planning on surgery on the thumb. Limbrel is a considered a medical food supplement and is prescription only. It is a powerful anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory.

You can read about it on the internet. The great thing is not side effects. Many of the drugs for OA are so hard on the stomach, not Limbrel.

I happened to find a brochure in my doctor's office on Limbrel and gave it to my husband. He started taking it twice a day 6 months ago. No more limping and extreme pain from his knees. Also, with his thumb joint, he was wearing a brace so it would not move, the pain was excrutiating. No more pain in the thumb - like a miracle.

My doctor also said he was giving it to fibro patients and some had good results for that also.

Oh, what do you do about burn-out? You come here where there are so many people who care and want to share ideas to feel better. I will keep you in my prayers you will find something to help that will make a difference.

[This Message was Edited on 04/19/2008]
  4. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Thank you! You're right, of course. Giving up is not the answer. When the future looks bleak, it still is a future. We all need to make it the best future possible.

I'm not sure I know how to pamper myself anymore. It's been a long battle to survive. I've not thought much about pampering myself.

I'm open to suggestions on how to pamper yourself.

Thanks, stick. I appreciate it.

5. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

You always have such good advice! Thank you for posting.

I just made a note in my medical notebook to talk to my doctor about Limbrel. No, I've not tried it. I've heard a little about it, and I'll check it out more. I'm happy your hubby has had such excellent results with it!

My stomach has been bothering me quite a bit lately. My Relafen does that sometimes. Plus I recently finished a course of prednisone for my OA. That probably added to my stomach upset. Oh Yes, I also took Zithromax for my bronchitis. No wonder my stomach has been upset. Maybe I'd do well on the Limbrel. I'll see what the doctor says.

Burnout? Yes, this is the best place to come for support and encouragement. I try to be there for others. But, I find it hard to reach out with my own needs. I feel undeserving.

Thank you for your help. You're a dear.

6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

What do you like to do? Pampering is all about finding what you like to do and treating yourself with the time to do it.

July of 04 I went down hard with the worst flare ever. Thought I'd never make it out, so many months bedridden, so much pain.

Then I started taking the vitamin and supplements recommended here by a well loved former member and I began to get some of my life back. I also changed my eating habits and began eliminating things from my diet like processed foods and chemicals.

Unfortunately, a few more diseases were added to my list along with a few more health problems and it's been a difficult journey ever since.....Also, my husband became ill after testing pos for Lyme and EBV (untreated) and I have a mentally ill daughter to boot.

But, I've created a life that I'm actually quite happy with from the ashes of all of those problems.

I still crochet for charities and sew jammy pants because I live in them, but I also started playing online (free) Texas Hold 'Em and have discovered another group of online friends who I love to meet and play cards with.

This also gives my brain something to do so it doesn't shrivel up and die from lack of use.

I know I'll feel better when the warmer weather comes so that too is uplifting for me.

Pampering means finding what you enjoy, knowing you're worth it and enjoying it like there's no tomorrow! It's different for everyone, I never would have guessed how much I enjoy the online poker....but keep looking, you'll find something.

7. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Thank you for sharing your experiences and your ideas about pampering yourself. I'm sorry you've had it so hard.
    Still, you're an inspiration to me and so many others! You are definitely a survivor.

I guess I feel that if I take the time to do the things I like to do, then I won't get the real work done. I live alone and I must do it all.

Having said that, I am interviewing someone this week to come in and do my cleaning for me twice a month. That will be a huge help to me. I just cannot do it myself any longer.

I believe if I stop pushing myself so hard with my chores, then I will feel better physically.

Also, I'm trying to make diet changes. It's next to impossible to lose weight for me. But, I need to do it. I get so discouraged because I eat whatever I can find in the frige because I'm always too tired to cook. And I love to cook! One of my favorite things to do is to cook and then give my created food away! I want to do more of that.

I love to read. But, it's so hard to hold a book because of my hands and arms. Too much pain and too tired.

I need to learn more efficient ways of working in order to manage my pain.

But, pampering is more than all that. Pampering is taking real good care of myself in spite of all the limitations. Right? So hard to do.

Thanks Nancy

8. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Thank you for your reply. You have a valid point. We either must live the best life possible in spite of our pain, or we will become a victim and totally give in to it.

Thanks for your encouragement to go on. I can go on because you can go on. And others of us can go on too. We can all move forward together. That's what support can do. We are so much stronger because we have each other.

Pain, thank you for your prayers. I need them right now. I hope you have the best day possible.

Love, dolores
  9. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Once, I gave in to burnout. Not with CFS, but with my diabetes care and I suffered horribly because of it. I know that if i give in to burn-out with this dd, I will again suffer but in a much different way. I still go through periods where I give up for a while and refuse to go to dr appts (what's the use any more)and I refuse to come to these message boards. I do come out of that eventually and pull myself up by the pants and get on with my search for answers again.

As far as "pampering" goes, we do need to physically pampter ourselves from time to time because no one else will. On the occasions when I get really down, I take a long hot bubble bath with all my scented candles burning and turn on some good music. I like listening to the old Mississippi Blues for this and watch my kitties play with the bubbles I blow for them. This makes me smile and laugh.

Though it does take alot out of me just preparing for the bath, I always feel so much better afterward.....especially if I have a glass of wine or two while I'm soaking. (I also live alone so it is easy for me to do this).
  10. sisland

sisland New Member

Alot of Great advice above! We share the same hobby of Cooking and giving it away!,,,,Baking is my favourite though!,,,,

Have you Tried Fish oil? this is a great supplemental antinflamatory recommended by my Rhumy when she took me off Relefan,,,The Omega 3 1000mg's 3-4 capsuals a day is my saving grace,,,,,,Maybe you can ask your Dr. about that.,,

Pampering yourself is a very great thing to do!,,,,Bubble Baths,,,,Good Books, Chocolate,,aroma therapy,,,like Candles and sented oils and lotions,,,incense,,,,

Paint your fingernails,,,,,fix your hair a new way,,,,Makeup if you like it,,,,,New jewlery,,,a new purse and shoes,,,a new blouse,,,,,New release movies,,your favourite Music (Turn it Up),,,,,These are all just suggestions but they all work for me,,,,,,,Oh Yeah! And ICE CREAM,,,,,,,,,,,Lolol,,,,,hope this helps!,,,,,,,,,Hugs! Sis
  11. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

You know exactly how I feel, Girl! Thanks for sharing.

I've just about given up on my treatment plan. What's the use? I do take my meds. But, they aren't helping. I gave up on exercising a long time ago. I should go to physical therapy, but, once again, what's the point? That only helps as long as I'm going. When it's over I'm back to miserable.

So, I know you understand.

And, you are right. It only leads to misery to give up. I'm praying I can find the strength to regroup and go on. The support here is awsome!! I know if I reach out to you all I can find the strength to go on.

Your bubble baths sound wonderful! Heaven on earth!

I need a good cry. That's what I need.

12. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

You've got it, exactly what pampering is...

I think you'll like having household help, I know I do. My house isn't spotless the way I used to keep it, but I've learned to let go and now just wave at those pesky dust bunnies until they drive me nuts and I do something about it, lol!

Knowing my housekeeper will be in every 2 weeks is a huge relief for a former perfectionist!

Having a housekeeper should free up many hours for you so start dreaming of what you can do with them.

Just wanted to offer a suggestion...since when we cook, we control ingredients and can make things much healthier than those foods that come from a can, why not freeze some of the meals you make to eat at a later date?

I freeze meal sized portions when I do cook to cover the times when I either don't feel like it, or can't.

That's what I do and oh boy, does it come in handy!!

13. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Hugs back to you. Thanks for replying.

I just began taking fish oil about a week ago. The doctor said I can take 2,000 mg. a day. I still take my Relafen. Maybe that's why he wants me to keep the dose lower. I really don't see any benefit yet, but maybe it's too soon. I keep it in the freezer because I heard that taking it frozen will prevent fishy breath odor. Do you know if that's the case? Also, keeping it in the freezer, I forget to take it sometimes! So, I have a ways to go with my fish oil. I'm going to ask the doctor if I can take more of it.

You have some great pampering ideas! CHOCOLATE!! I buy the 60% cocoa chocolate. Chocolate gets me thru many a crisis:) Books, I have quite a stack of bestsellers, Oprah's book club books, etc. Do you or anyone have any suggestions for how to hold a book to read when your arms, elbows, hands are hurting badly? I get so tired. And then my arms, etc,. hurt worse because I've held a book for a while! What a delemna!

What are you cooking today? I'm making fresh asparagus with cheese sauce on toast. But, I'm not giving that to anyone. I'm going to enjoy it myself.

Have a nice Saturday, Sis.

Love, dolores
  14. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Great Idea, Hon! Thank you!

Hugs. dolores
  15. sisland

sisland New Member

i've never heard of the freezer thing for the fish oil,,,,but i think the more you take it the more your body will get use to it and there will be no smell,,,,the best one i have found is the Costco brand (Kirkland) this one seems to be the best for no fish burps,,,,,yuck!,,,right!,,,,,,,

Iv'e Heard of people getting thoes lap tables for the book reading and also a music stand so your arms are free!,,,,Have you seen thoes tables that are adustable and will slide under the couch or recliner so they are very close to you for eating ,,,sewing ,,,reading? I want one!!,,,,

They sell them at Pamida stores or on TV,,,,,,,,Can i make another suggestion about excercise,,,,,how about getting a yoga mat or just a blanket on the floor and do some stretching of your legs and arms lying on your back,,,,also the side to side thing with your knees,,,

it's not to strainious & it helps to keep your muscles stretched out!,,and helps with your all over painlevel,,,

I know how you feel about "Whats the use" attitude,,,but if you try and just better your moments with pampering ,,,eating alot of protien and fruits and Veggies and whole grains,,,,,,,you might feel better!,,,,,Please know that these are just suggestions,,,,,,Hugs!,,,Sis,,,,p.s.Your aspargus and toast sounds great! I made baked chicken and rice last night,,,,

alot of nights i just put a potatoe in the Micro and bake it for 6-7 minutes on high and then add thoes frozen veggies that come with cheese sauce in the same box and add them to the baked slice potatoe,,,,,dinner!,,,,,Turkey Chilli is good too!
  16. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Thanks again. I tried your stretching suggestion, but I did it on my bed as I'm not supposed to get down on the floor because of my back problems. I remembered my PT once told me to do my exercises on my bed.

It felt really good to stretch out my legs. I did hamstring stretches and also knee to chest stretches. Then I did my pelvic tilts. I had forgotten about these exercises!

It's been over 4 years now that my marriage ended. When it did, I went into a survival mode, working so hard to make ends meet and do all my work each day just to survive. I completely stopped taking care of myself. I stopped exercising because there was simply no time to do it. And I was emotionally and physically exhausted. I began overeating and gained 41 pounds. I just didn't care.

So, here I am. I'm a physical mess! Maybe it's time to begin my new life. Time to put myself first. You know what I mean? I need to stop trying to self-destruct!

Thanks for your good advice, Sis. I'm going to stretch again this evening. After TV and before bedtime.

Love, dolores
  17. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

One day at a time is such good advice. I need to learn to live in the moment. Who knows what tomorrow may bring. Maybe we will be much better! Maybe there will be much better treatment! We all need hope.

You are right, there are many who are worse off. This past week I lost a very dear friend to Lupus. She had been sick for 20 years. She was on oxygen and a walker for the past 2 years. Her lungs were worn out from the disease. And now she's gone. Only 2 years older than myself. I miss her terribly already!

The Vit. D is certainly a good thing. And I'm sure we will find more and more good things. We need to keep on looking. To stop looking, we may miss something really important.

They say with the right kind of support you can get through anything. I believe it's true. Thank you for being supportive and caring. I hope I can be there for you also.

18. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Thank you for your reply. Both the hospice and the prayer shawl ministry are wonderful causes. I love to crochet. We have a prayer shawl ministry at my church also, and I made one shawl to donate. My PT told me I cannot crochet or knit anymore due to making my hands worse. I have "trigger fingers" on both hands. Also carpal tunnel both wrists. So, I gave up my needle work. But, I sure wish I could still do that.

I do need a good hobby. I just wish I could think of something that didn't take so much hand work. Something I could do while watching TV. I feel so limited.

Blessings to you, Georgia. Keep up those wonderful ministries.

19. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Yes, a knitting loom would indeed help! Where can I get one of those and maybe a book of simple instructions on how to use it?

Thanks so much! I'm eager to get one!

20. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

for encouraging me. I'm printing out hhis thread to keep so I can pull it out and read it whenever I feel down and out.

I so appreciate your support. God bless you.