What do you do at 4 or 5 am when you still haven't fallen asleep?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

I am having severe insomnia and sometimes don't fall asleep until the time when most people are getting up?

I ususally just toss and turn in bed and it is driving me crazy - I start to panic because I still haven't slept and know I will be miserable the next day and not be able to function

Last night I got up and did laundry

What do you do?

CFS & FMS
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

I hate this but it happens to often for me. I can't do any housework, not in the mood or don't feel up to it. I try to read but can't seem to concerate, nothing on TV ,a lot of times I just end up crying and take another pill.

When I can't sleep then my mind goes into a worrying mode etc. Before CFS hormones helped me with sleep. Been thinking of trying them even at my age.

Then if lucky go to sleep only to be awaken by the phone around 8 as everyone is getting up.

I have had a sleep study just showed I had bad insomnia well, I knew that nothing ever done.

Some nights I have gotten up to 6 hrs sleep and its wonderful , don't ask me how it just happens.

I do wish I had something I felt like doing or interested in but seems all I can think about is trying to get some sleep. No help but can relate.

God Bless,

3. debilyn

debilyn New Member

. . . is by far the very worst for me. I do the same thing: start to panic because I know if I don't sleep I will be absolutely unable to function at all in the day.

I often lay there and pray. It seems to calm me down some. Or I take another .25 xanax. Sometimes nothing helps, and I have to go through four or five days of not sleeping then I crash and can sleep.

I'm looking forward to others' tips on how to get sleep.

4. Empower

Empower New Member

Glad to hear I am not alone. Sometimes it just feels like I will go crazy if I don't sleep

I do the same thing try to sleep, no sleep, take a pill, no sleep take another pill

It is just ridiculous

I don't know if it anxiety or depression or both

Sorry, but misery loves company

So tired now, just want to sleep but it is 4 PM!
  5. hensue

hensue New Member

I have to go to a pain clinic and the only thing I get there is klonopin and valuim.
    I go every 3 months and they make sure I take only 1 of each every night.
    This and putting earplugs in my ear.
    I take wellbutrin Sr 150 during the day.
    If I do not sleep I hurt so bad and cannot function the next day.
    Take care
  6. jole

jole Member

I don't sleep. Well, not normally at least. No matter how hard I try, I can't get to sleep before 2 am...and some nights not at all. As someone else said, eventually I crash, then sleep for 14-16 hours, and it's usually a much better sleep.

Mostly I watch tv or spend time on the computer. I'd love to clean if I had the energy, but I don't. Sometimes I read. Sometimes I wander from room to room doing absolutely nothing, if the pain is bad.

I usually get between 3-5 hours of sleep/day with an occasional nap, and am always exhausted. I really don't know an answer. I can't take sleeping meds 'cause they hype me up. Wish there were an easy fix. I do take Xanax, and it at least keeps me sane....lol...
  7. Empower

Empower New Member

Let's all plan on getting a good night's sleep tonight!!!!! I am trying to talk myself into it

I too wonder from room to room, as I hate to disturb hubby or dog

We should start a club - The Insomniacs and we know we can go to the computer and talk to someone else who is up all night.

I look out the windows and say, "well George and Barbara are alseep and Valerie and Dale, and Ooooh, there is someone with their lights on

8. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I finally gave up trying to make myself sleep during the night and just started going to bed later and later. I sleep almost all day. Not a good solution but the only one that lets me get any kind of sleep.

Going to doctor appointments is really hard because it's like the middle of the night for me. I haven't found a solution to this. Once I did mangage to turn my hours around but slowly reverted to my old pattern.

No matter how tired I am or how many hours of sleep I've lost, I cannot sleep at night. I don't understand it. If it weren't for being able to record T.V. programs on my DVR and watch them at night I don't know how I'd make it. It's lonely! GB66

9. Oh sleep.....what is that. I stay up as late as I can. I usually fall asleep but with the pain in my hip or back an hr or two later I am awake. I toss and turn and finally get up and watch taped programs thanks to my dvr too. Sometimes I lay in bed and read about an hr and then manage another hr or so of sleep
  10. MsE

MsE New Member

I am exhausted. Can't sleep at night and am groggy all day. The doc put me on paxil a couple of days ago for anxiety and she thought it would help me sleep. Well, I still wake up at night, but I'm so groggy and tired all day I can't function until mid afternoon.

I started a post about this, and the info I got and the research I did made me decide I wasn't going to go the Paxil route. So, what to do? I am really tired of waking every hour or hour and a half and then having to sleep so much during the day to make up for it.

It helps, however, to hear other people are having the same problem. Bad word CFS!!!

I'm adding a postscript: I go to sleep without too much trouble, but an hour to two hours later, I wake. Then I fall back to sleep and then I wake. Sometimes I'm up and awake for a couple of hours or more. This goes on all night. It started just a few weeks ago. Before that I only woke up once or twice. Not any more.[This Message was Edited on 09/13/2009]
  11. rachel76

rachel76 New Member

I can relate to Gb66 who said that they just gave up on trying to go to sleep at night and just inverted their sleep patterns so they sleep all day and are awake at night. I did that. I also have all the inherant problems mentioned like doctors appointments, errands, loneliness....

Melatonin helps me sometimes but not always and I don't want to up the dose too high or get too addicted to it. I went down that route before and my body got used to it.

I wonder if all the others on this thread, assuming they have the lifestyle and means to enable them to do it, would sleep better if they also let themselves just sleep later and later and became daytime sleepers like me. In my case I do not have "proper" insomnia but delayed circadium rythm in this illness (I had the diagnosis for it.)
    I'm just wondering if that might also be the case for others who describe themselves as insomniacs here. I don't think me and gb66 are the only ones.

Re: Activities at night
    If I am awake at night and I feel good, I do my washing, cook for the next day or iron, do my accounts or anything that needs doing that was piling up. Whenever I am well enough to do those things at night I make sure I congratulate myself for achiving something that night. When I am too ill to do those things I just sit at the computer or watch a DVD. I've built up quite a DVD collection. If I feel middle O.K then I paint or read an easy book. Usually it's the damed computer or DVD but I am glad I do get odd good nights.[This Message was Edited on 09/13/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/13/2009]
  12. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rachel, I am so glad to read your post and know I'm not the only one with this crazy schedule. I too cook at night when I'm up to it. I use my slow cooker and then put the dinner in the fridge to warm up that night. It really works well.

My biggest problem with this day sleeping is trying to go to the doctor and dentist and also for my husband who's retired, he wants to do work on the house but has to try not to wake me up.

When the lawn mowers are going in the summer, it's hard to sleep too. Even with a fan and sound masking machine. By the way, I am a 69 years old. Wish someone could help us sleep nights. It would change our lives, wouldn't it. GB66
  13. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I take 50mg Trazodone and it works wonders. Helps me fall asleep and stay asleep most nights. Also take Ativan at bedtime.

I've done the night waking thing too. I usually get up and have a bowl of cereal or some herb tea, watch a little TV and then back to bed.

I'm a die hard ear plug user, cannot sleep without them. It started w my hubby's snoring keeping me awake, and now I never sleep without them even if he's not snoring! I use Mack's earplugs, they're soft whitish silicone like putty. For me, these are the most comfortable since you don't actually insert them in the ear canal, just cover the outside opening w them.

L-Tryptophan is one of the things my sister swears by. She was having lots of sleepless nights and it really helped her.

Sweet Dreams!!!!!!! Hermit
  14. PVLady

PVLady New Member

This is my worst problem now. It came on several years ago with alot of anxiety. Now what works is taking 25 mg of Benadryl and 1/2 of 1/2 of a 10 mg Ambien. Sounds weird but it does work and I sleep for 10 hours. After waking up, if I have a small amount of coffee, I am ok for the rest of the day. On the Ambien issue, if the 1/2 of the 1/2 of 10 mg does not work in 1 hour, take another 1/2 of a 1/2. So, the total Ambien would be 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet.

I am still turned around and sometimes can't get to sleep until 4 am - then sleep until 1 pm or later! Terrible!!!
  15. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

One of the things I've always loved about myself is that when I wake up, I'm awake, not groggy, happy, ready for my coffee etc. Well that doesn't bode so well when it's 3 am (like today)
    In the past two years, I've gone through periods where I've slept for maybe 2 hrs at a time, then I'd be up for two, doze off with the TV on for another hour, up again. Doesn't work well when you have to work the next day!

Then there are those rare nights (4 days ago for me) that I slept a good 8 hrs. Wow did THAT feel great. Didn't do anything different - just happened!

I even take a med that I'm warned may make you sleepy so only take at night. Heh. right.
    I'm SO tired when I get home from work - EXHAUSTED is the word. I often fall asleep with no warning while sitting on the couch in the evening- sometimes with a drink in my hand, several times.
    I've even thought about calling my husband on the way home from work cause I'm nervous about falling asleep.

I actually feel sorry for my body. WE can't go on like this - Sleep is so important.
    I don't have an answer because I haven't found what works consistently for me. Sunday nights are hard for me to fall asleep - it's almost like when you were a kid and had to go to school the next day.
  16. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I have a rotating sleep schedule that generally goes with my monthly cycle, however, now that I'm in perimeno, that's starting to be all over the place. Basically, I'm up all night during my Luteal phase and up all day during my Follicular phase, so it's about 2 weeks up days, 2 weeks up nights. My sleep schedule moves ahead an hour each day or so. In other words, I fall asleep an hour later every day and it eventually swings all the way around in about a month. I know this is pretty normal for women with CFS because others I've met say they do the same thing. Someone here even posted a graph of this exact same kind of sleep schedule on the old board as her Profile Pic, can't recall who that was.

I try to make my appts. when I'll most likely be up during the day. My schedule can easily be thrown off too by stress or noise etc... but by allowing myself to just go with the flow of my sleep schedule I am achieving the deepest and longest sleep periods I ever have. I'm on Disability though and that makes all this easier on me.

I actually like being awake all night. When I feel well enough, I like to Star Gaze and in fact, other amateur astronomers are jealous that I can easily stay up all night. lol Chat is a lot of fun here at all hours too. If no one is there when you go in just sit in one of the rooms like FMS or CFS or Depression or Chit Chat and leave your sound on so you hear the doorbell and someone will usually come in soon enough. You can do other things in other windows while you sit in there.

I like the quiet of the night and the darkness is soothing to me. I have colored lamps like lava lamps and electric candleabras and a black light with home-made black light posters around to help cheer me up. Little decorative lights on strings are great for decorating too. I keep the lights low, use dimmer switches and turn on my colored lights and that creates a nice atmosphere. I also play soothing music in the background like SoundScapes from Digital Cable tv.

I get as much work done as I can whenever I'm awake, day or night, which isn't much considering I'm mostly totally disabled but it's enough to keep me busy. I also study all the time and that makes the hours fly.

When I was doing better and could work or schedule more things in my day then not sleeping at night was very stressful. I've gotten so much worse that now I just aim for the best quality of life that I can while accommodating my ever-changing needs as much as possible and trying to find the bright side of it all.

Right now I'm listening to the Police:

"There has to be an invisible sun
    That gives its heat to everyone
    There has to be an invisible sun
    That gives us hope when the whole day's done."

[This Message was Edited on 09/14/2009]
  17. Empower

Empower New Member

Some really good info that makes me feel better

Teejkay! Sounds like you have made the most of what life has dealt you. That is quite interesting that you do the star gazing. Maybe I should try that!
  18. Empower

Empower New Member

My mom used to tell me this too....(as I had sleep issues early in life)

She used to tell me, "well then just lie there and rest, it is just as good" which is really isn't but it helped to calm me some
  19. loto

loto Member

to hear of your insomnia.
    I'm fortunate enough to not have that problem, in fact have just the opposite.
    By 7:00 I'm so sleepy I can barely stay awake. I manage to make it until at least 8:00.
    I recently was prescribe nuvigil that helps me stay awake later now.
    Anyway, back to your problem:
    What kind of meds do you take?
    I take 120 mg Cymbalta, which I take at night, because it makes me sleepy. It helps with some of my FM pain and depression.
    Or, have you tried muscle relaxers? Those make me very sleepy also, but I only need them occasionally.
    Or, do warm baths before bedtime help?
    Just some thoughts on what may help you.
  20. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

The advice given to all stargazers is to start with some good binoculars. I usually just use those, although we have a nice, pretty cheap telescope that I've used a bit in the past. My binocs are 10x50 which is considered good.