What do you do to AVOID a flare day??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Mar 30, 2006.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

We all have big event days when we really don't want to be in a flare. Things that are planned that you don't want to have to cancel. A big party, lunch with a friend, date night out with your sweetie, a big meeting, vacation, etc. You know what I mean.

What do you do to try to have the best day you can? I know it would be ideal to live like this every day, but life doesn't always work out that way.

Here are things I try to do when I NEED to have a good day:

1) Try to get as much rest as possible during the day several days before the big event.
    2) Don't overdo anything. Leave the house dirty. Let someone else make dinner. Don't plan anything except rest.
    3) Do whatever it takes to get a good night's sleep. Preferably several good nights in a row.
    4) Eat as healthy as possible. That means NO CHEATING. No sugar, no junk food, no processed foods, no ice cream, etc. Fresh veggies & fruit.
    5) Don't change meds/supplements. I don't start anything new or stop anything I've been taking. It's not the time to make a change in your system.
    6) A small amount of caffeine helps me (1/4 Excedrin tablet). I make sure I don't take any caffeine for 4 days before the big event. Then I take the 1/4 Excedrin on the day I need it.

What are your "tricks" to have a good day?
    [This Message was Edited on 03/30/2006]
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

But I have to say I AVOID big days as I just find that I cannot do them.

I just get so uneasy after a very short time.

It is all baby steps.

When I think back to when I used to be the life and soul of the party, full of get up and go, and I would wonder why some people left so early. NOW I know!!!

Love Anne C
  3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I appreciate your response. I am hoping more people chime in.

I know what you mean about being the life of the party and the last to leave. Those days are over for me, too. Actually, having kids ended those days!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/31/2006]
  4. cbella

cbella New Member

You said fake sugars are bad for muscles and I read about that too. What do you recommend? I stopped splenda and went to saccharin, but that is still fake. Is there something out there to sweeten my coffee that's ok? Would love to know, because I enjoy my coffee. :)cbella
  5. libra55

libra55 New Member

Pacing is the key to avoiding a massive flare up for me. I keep a huge calendar on my wall where all my family's activities including my own are written down. As soon as I know of an event, I pencil it in.

This way I can see which weeks look more crowded than others. If there is a week which is really jam packed and there is a big social or other mandatory event which can't be postponed, I will see what CAN be rescheduled and move those things to another week, or another month if necessary.

I make sure I get extra rest the day before the big event. I don't do any laundry (except what I might need for the event), I eat simple easy to prepare foods or take out, and I don't tolerate anyone's demands on me.

People are aware I might cancel on short notice if I just can't make it that day, or that I might leave early.

I make sure I sleep well (or at least try to) for one or two nights before the event, I bring plenty of water and my meds (including pain ones) with me.

It isn't easy and it doesn't always work. The day we went to my daughter's open house at one of the colleges she was accepted at, we did a lot of walking, the air was very damp and my asthma was horrible. Although they fed us well and had plenty of good water available, I still had great difficulty. I spent the next two days mostly in bed in a lot of pain. But I am glad we went. It was a beautiful campus. I guess it was worth it!

Michelle
    [This Message was Edited on 03/31/2006]
  6. PainSux

PainSux New Member

Sometimes I think that the control is completely out of our control. If we had the control we wouldn't have any exacerbations or flares.... The weather seriously effects my fibromyalgai. I've been under considerable stress for several months and it's been very difficult.
  7. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Hi Twinma,
    All the things you suggested work for me too, but the most important thing for me is to avoid stress. Sometimes I get stressed just because I have to go somewhere and then I get a flare. Before I was diagnosed, my kids accused me of "getting sick" because I did not want to go! Now they understand that sometimes I just have to stay home. Some functions, though you really need to attend, like say your child's graduation or something. For those situations, resting and eating well a number of days in advance usually work.
    Dar
  8. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I like these ideas! I think pacing, avoiding stress, journaling, not planning too many things for any particular week and not trying to accomplish too much in one day are all fantastic suggestions. It really helps to see how others are tackling this ongoing battle.

And I agree that sometimes, it is just gonna happen--no matter what you do. Flares happen.