What do you do to cope when the pain goes on and on ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shep, Jan 27, 2006.

1. shep

shep New Member

I as the rest of you live in some pain every day. I have gotten accustomed to living in pain and can deal with it on a level of 3-5 fairly well.
    But, when the "flare up " starts and the pain level starts up and goes up to 8 then 9 then 10 and higher ..a little more each day..I start to spiral out of being able to deal with it.
    Along with the pain comes, upset stomach, no sleep, anxiety and panic, itching, going from being cold to hot and excessive sweating, and many other things I cannot thing of right now. Yes, the fog sets in and I can't think and communicate what I want to say.
    Along about the 5-6 day of this unrelenting flare, I can't stand anyone around me, or can't stand my own self. I am hateful to my DH and the dog (my most faithful friend). Poor thing, she just follows me every step and she understands I am in pain and she can't stand to see my cry. She will lay on my stomach and put her paws on my face.
    I am continually going from the bed to the sofa, to the recliner, to the shower; back to the bed and around and around again. I pray and cry and sometimes even have been know to say a few bad words. It just becomes unbearable.
    But, just when I think I can't stand it another minute the sweet Lord always gives me the grace and strength to endure and then sweet peace comes as the flare up starts to ease off.
    What do you all do when you are going through this; or do you go through this? When I am like this no medications will touch it. After one of the episodes that last for several days, I am so drained and so tired.
    Interested in hearing any suggestions. If I could only sleep..it would be so much easier to deal with this.
    So far after 3 visits to a sleep specalist no luck in finding anything that will put me to sleep. I sleep about 2 hours every 3-4 days!
    Sleepless in Tennessee
    Shep
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

but my prayers are with you,Linda
  3. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

You sound like me, at times, before I was dx, and once I was, I found a few things that could help me, fall asleep.
    My main problem is staying asleep, tho.

I try to not fight it, I try different things, to get my mind busy enough to get tired. I think that is the problem, it just never wants to shut-up, I mean shut off, lol.

What I do during a Flare, is rest my body, even if I can't sleep, I find I don't have as much Muscle pain, if I can make myself lay down for a while.
    I read, Large Print books, till the eye's go buggy, which isn't to long, these day's.

I also do the Hot Bath soak, and I have heating pads, for the aches, along with my Pain Meds, and I do use Soma's, whch helps with the muscle pain too.

I once ended up in the ER, because I didn't sleep for about 4/5 night's. I was on some heavy meds at the time too, but they just couldn't put me out.
    Made me miserable.
    I ended up getting a shot, that still took hours to knock me out, once I went to sleep tho, I slept for a day and a half.

I have tried, just about everything, from the Supplements to Sleep Meds. Nothing worked.
    So I make myself as comfortable as possible, warn the Family to stay away, lol, they are very agreeable to that when I am in one of my Flares.

I am so sorry that you too have to suffer with this.
    I think the Insomina is the worst Symptom, for me.
    I have had it since childhood, and tonight is anothoer sleepless night in LA. ;o(

I hope that one of the Memebers will have some advise that will be of help to you. Might even be one that I can try too.

I have been thinking about the AmbienCR, I talked to my Pharmacist, and she thought it would be worth a try, for me, since, it is suppose to Keep you alseep.

another thing, that could put you to sleep, would be to read my Long post's, lol, lol.
    I also get silly, do you when you aren't able to sleep?

sharonk
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i will take some dilauded...that is for the days and times i know i dont have to drive...or i tell my son i can not or just take the bus to where ever he he needs to go....

funny thing is i have only taken the city bus one time in my life time and that was in battle creek michigan...not like it is here in california....

i would take the metro subway to and from work in washington d.c..i didn't mind the subway...

bus for some reason just feels so much less safer to me...weirdos...

jodie
  5. kbak

kbak Member

Shep,
    One of the things you have to do is get medication to sleep. You will never get one ounce better until you get some rest. Not sleeping will greatly increase your pain and make you crazied! I know, I've been there. Type insomnia and sleep medication into the search engine, and you'll find lots of good posts about what meds are helping people.

I take neurontin at bedtime, it helps settle down my overactive brain, along with 5-HTP. There are several good things that people are taking. You need to get with a good doc, if you don't have one, and get your insomnia treated before anything else will get better for you.

I'm sorry your suffering so! Do a little research, and find out what's helping people, than go to a doc and discuss this. I hope that things improve for you.

K.

6. srcj

srcj New Member

Your story sounds just like ME! I have been in a flare up since Christmas. I went to a health food store and got Minerals. Magnesuim/ calcium, etc.Those have helped my aching legs..
    Also my doctor gave me the Ambiem cr. I slept 8 hours last night.They are expensive but worth it.
    I still need something to help with pain. Someone told me to ask for Ultram. Suggestions?

snoopy in nc
  7. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

we could all get a good nites sleep...Staying asleep is my problem also. I've been putting up w/this for yrs. Tried many sleep meds & ended up using clonazapam..BUT....It doesn't work if I take it every nite..When I take it twice a week, I can at least go back to sleep when I wake during the nite. I know it's still not a stage 4, & that's what we all need.

Like you, during the flares, I just retreat to my recliner & do my handwork, weep some, stare out the window, take some tylenol x-tra strength, (as I'm med sensitive)& pray that this will soon pass. Usually 2-3days of that. Then it starts to ease. But the pain is always there. I usually can cope between 3 & 5 also.

Yesterday, I went for a bone density test & during part of it she had to twist my legs inward & velcro strap them to a foam block, & Yikes!!!!!! I suffered w/my hips & feet yesterday & today yet. So I'm laying low AGAIN...I also was exposed to some varnish remover they were using in church (at bible study Thurs.) & I have Chemical sensitivty too. Sooooooooo, the sinus' are plugged & of course the headache. Always something....

I didn't mean to hijack your post, but wanted you to know we know what these flares do to us physically & emotionally. It's a long road sometimes, & I surely hope you can find something to get that sleep you so desperately need.

I'm going to ask the doc about the Ambien CR also..Tho' when I tried the plain Ambien, it didn't agree w/me at all..I was vomiting in the morning, but maybe worth the try, to be able to sleep all nite..

Take care, you are in my prayers;
    Fifth
  8. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Shep .. many of us go through what you are .. this is my 4th year with this Dx .. and the flares are worse when they happen .. your dog is like my cats .. they know something is wrong and they want to comfort and help you .. don't feel bad about being distant or curt .. that horrible pain takes everything from us and drains us ..
    I go to my room and close the door .. I have to be on my own .. that is a comfort in it's self .. not to worry how I'm behaving with another living creature .. it gives me a bit of space to wrangle with the pain ..
    I have gel ice packs for my neck and what ever area is throbbing ... a heating pad for my lower back which from past surgery screams with pain once it is set off ..
    I am lucky to have some strong, break through, pain relief and for now it helps, but my fear of adapting to it and rendering it useless is always there ..
    Sleep is also a HUGE issue with me .. we don't have the CR version of Ambian in Canada .. Lunesta is zopiclone for us and I'm already on 15 mgs .. I don't sleep more than 2 hours at a time and not even that when flaring .. it makes things so much worse .. so I understand how you feel.
    I'm just lucky I don't have young children like others on this board .. I don't know how they cope.
    I don't have answers for you .. but I know it has helped me to read what others go through on this board .. we are not alone and some how that is a comfort.
    I hope you feel better soon !
    Fudge : )
  9. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

This thead nearly made me cry when I read it. When I have pain that is really bad, I am able to take something prescribed by my doctors...but too many people can't because their doctors won't give them anything strong enough to help them, and it breaks my heart.