What do you do to cope with extreme anxiety/stress/depression?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pepper, Apr 14, 2006.

1. pepper

pepper New Member

I have been feeling better over the past few months with fewer down days. I have been able to walk farther than I ever thought possible, cooked supper almost every night and generally felt like I was on the road to recovery.

As many of you have experienced, this came to a crashing halt on Tuesday night. I was very stressed over my DH's inability (and recent unwillingness) to find a job. I haven't slept more than a few minutes at a time ever since.

Needless to say, I am exhausted and in the worst pain I have experienced in months.

I am depressed over this although I know that it is only temporary. I am also consumed with my DH's discouragement and depression over being unable to find a job.

It is a vicious spiral - the more anxious I feel, the worse I feel and the worse I feel, the more depressed I am. I know many of you can relate.

So - how do I escape from this spiral? How do I stop thinking about these negative things? I have been lying in bed since 6 p.m. trying to meditate and relax, trying to push these thoughts out of my head. The harder I try, the worse it is.

It is 11;45 and I can see that I am not going to be able to sleep much tonight either.

Any help would be really appreciated. I can't deal with this. And hosting Easter dinner on Sunday. More stress.

Thanks for any help.
    Pepper
    [This Message was Edited on 04/15/2006]
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I wish there was a easy answer. You might try to say "STOP"
    when you are having obsessive thoughts that are upsetting you.

Hope you are feeling better soon..
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

lock yourself in the bathroom, take a bubble bath and have a glass of red wine if you can...

tell everyone if they want an easter dinner you will need some help....setting table to peeling potatoes...

you can make a list...

i take ad's, but it is changing now...i have had to deal with major depression...and sometimes i cry for days and don't want to leave my bed...

i try to do what i can...

today i saw a new dr...he prescrieed klonopin and something else for pain and anti-inflamatory...he was so caring and seemed to get what fibro was...he asked me if i would be up for trying another pill or 2...and said he understood my frustartions...i told him i'm tired of the weight gain...
    he said unforntately that comes with this...wow, did'nt tell me got climb a mountain...

so i will the try the new meds..maybe i willfeel half way better...

hang in there pepper

jodie
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

Thanks, Stormyskye, you said the same thing that my ND told me the other day. I am trying so hard to tell myself that I can only control what is within my control. It is just so hard to watch a perfectly healthy and extremely energetic man spend so much time lying on the couch watching TV when he should be continuing the job search!

The way I feel right now, I do not really want to connect with him. I am upset with him. I know that he is depressed about the job search but I am so tired of being his cheerleader.

I took an extra sleeping med last night and did get some sleep with strange dreams.

Thanks, PVLady. Okay, I will try saying STOP. That might help. I will let you know.

Thanks, Donnaeil. I took AD's for 11 yrs and have been off them for 2. It took me 2 yrs to wean myself off them and I vowed that I would never go back on them. I gained 100 lb on them and haven't been able to lose it all. St. John's Wort was really helping until this past week. I wonder if there is another natural AD I could take. I just can't face AD's again.

I don't know if there is any financial help out there for us. We both have pensions and he makes some money freelancing. It is just not enough to keep us going. I will have to look into that.

Thanks, Jodie. I did take a time out yesterday but I guess I need to do something rather than lie there and try not to think about everything.

I have delegated for Easter dinner - lists for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Very little of it is done. It is rarely done until the very last minute. I lay down last night because I couldn't stand to see that my list wasn't being done! I woke up this morning and it still isn't done. How frustrating is that? More stress!

I hope that the Klonopin works better for you than it did for me, Jodie. It seems to help a lot of people here.

(((HUGS))))to you all
    Pepper

5. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Have you tried 5HTP it is a natural seratonin booster and not expensive. If you do a search you will see how it has helped lots of people.

I ordered some and am going to try it.

Take Care

Sue in Ontario
  6. pepper

pepper New Member

Yes, I have tried 5HTP and it really helped with my anxiety levels. However, despite the fact that I am on BP meds, my BP spiked to 192/150 afater 2 wks on it. When I searched, I discovered that can be a problem with 5HTP for people who already have BP problems.

I would love to take it because it helped so much. I hope that it helps you.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
    (((HUGS)))Pepper
  7. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

In spite of all my reading, I didn't know that.

That is too bad you couldn't use it, but I am heartened by the fact that it did help with your anxiety. I am very lucky that my blood pressure is on the low side of normal, so I should be ok.

Thanks, Sue
  8. CatofDoom

CatofDoom New Member

i'm so sorry to hear that you're doin g poorly. anxiety and depression are very difficult to cope with sometimes.

as someone who deals with depression and anxiety, i really do know how you feel. have you tried talking to a counselor? i know that it's not for everyone, but it really helped me. also, talk to your doctor about medication for depression and anxiety, it can really help.

i agree with the above posts, try to do some nice things for yourself. a hot bath with bubbles and a good book is a start.

good luck and take care,
    Cat
  9. pepper

pepper New Member

Yes, I have seen counsellors since I became ill - I think 3 individual counsellors besides the marriage counsellors. My sister is a health psychologist so I am very tuned into that.

I started with a new one last May and gave up after a few sessions. I think I knew more about it than she did! Or maybe she just wasn't the right person for me.

You are right, though. I do think that I need to see someone to try and work this out. I hadn't really thought of this before but maybe I should search for another therapist.

Thanks for the suggestion. It may be what I need until my DH finds a job.

(((HUGS)))Pepper
    [This Message was Edited on 04/15/2006]