What Do You Do to Feel Good?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Jan 9, 2007.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Me again, very upset.

Every day I try to have a 'normal'day, within the boundaries of what I (we) have.

Any suggestions as to what can meake life normal. i thought I had it all together, but guess not.

I am so tired of having these diseases and feel I could do more. I get a massage every two weeks. I pay a girl to do housekeeping every two weeks.

Yes, I indulge as much as i can. my husband left me becaue of me being sick. That hurt. I do not think I have gotten over it, but think i ahve.

Anyway: any suggestions of things to feel 'good' outside the realm of usual treatment.

BTW: The massage is really inexpensive. A new girl brings her table and the charge is minimal.

Also the housekeeper is OK because it is only every two weeks and is very inexpensive.

Yet: I thought I had a nice routine. Guess not. Any suggestions?

nyrofan
  2. jake123

jake123 New Member

I love to go to the library. I even like to look at the reference books or the medical books. Read all their magazines. Paint your nails before you go! Go to a coffee bar and have an exotic cup.
  3. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

Getting out of the house would be helpful. Do you drive? Just taking a drive on a sunny day (assuming you have sunny days), can be helpful.

Find a support group in your area
    Hang out at the local coffee shop
    Is there a performing arts center in your area? I make sure I have season tickets so that I get out once a month at least.

Do you have a pet? They can be great company.

The problem we all have is we are not normal and many days we just don't have it to give. This makes it hard to have a routine.

4. kriket

kriket New Member

GO AND GET A MASSAGE!!!!!

KRIKET
  5. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Sorry you are having such a crappy time.

My first thought is to get out of the house. I am mostly housebound and it always helps to have lunch or dinner with a friend. But I have a husband who can take me and it sounds like you are on your own.

Can you find some way to indulge yourself? Bubble bath, baking cookies (and eating them of course), watching a funny movie? Maybe visit the chat board here-those guys over there are pretty witty.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Shar

6. teacher

teacher New Member

1) Library - check to see if they have a book discussion group, if you like that sort of thing - local bookstores have groups sometimes also - go for the audio books, someone reading to you can be relaxing

2) Play the piano

3) Play CD's when I can't sit at the piano

4) Walk around the mall, can't buy anything, but it gets me out of the house

5) An occasional high school or college sporting event - you can yell all you want and no one looks at you like you're crazy - cheap entertainment

6) An occasional high school or college cultrual event - cheap comes in here again

7) Do you go to church? Do they have any groups you could get involved with?

8) Travel - I found a tour group that usually attracts senior citizens. I love it. They have day trips as well as overnighters. They don't pack their schedule to the max. They move a little slower also. Not too expensive. And they don't mind me being on the bus. Actually, they like it when I go because I bring my niece with me. Voila! It's no longer a group of seniors. It a group of travelers!

Happy day!
  7. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Thank you. I got so many tips on how to rearrange my daily routine.

It is always so nice to have someone to ask.

Thank you warmly,

nyrofan
  8. AliOmalley

AliOmalley New Member

I spend lots of quality time with my cats - who are very affectionate and very loving. Just being in their presence makes me feel better. Seriously, animals and their unconditional love are very healing. Also, hot baths! Lots of hot bubble baths, tea, a good book and 2 cats peering over the rim of the tub!! Have someone pamper you. My husband is very good about all of this and is more than willing to indulge me. He will light candles for me - run the water in the tub - and then bring me tea. If there is no one to pamper you - pamper yourself.
  9. balletdancer74

balletdancer74 New Member

Hey There!!

You got some fantastic suggestions many of which I was going to mention as well. Now, since we often have "memory problems" I'm going to repeat some anyway. *grin*

I was a professional ballet dancer before I graduated from college w/ a degree in English. Than I worked in publicity for a very big record company. That information is simply to give you an idea of my life ... briefly...which involves many of my interests: dance, literature/reading and music...

As mentioned, if you can afford to get season tickets to either some sort of dance company, opera troupe or orchestra/symphony, you'd be surprised how nice it is to get dressed nicely and get out of the house. I don't know where you live, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt if they don't appeal to you. :)

I go for a walk almost every day. I have had CFIDS/M.E., FM/MPS complex, now Lyme recently (always something else!), chronic incessant head pain which is the bain of my existance, GI problems, a small pituitary tumor, etc. since my early twenties. I'm now 32.

I'm not the type to tell someone that they MUST do what I do to make them feel better as we're all different and have different levels of pain or tolerance for pain, etc.

I stretch every morning (former ballet dancer in me...haha) which helps get my circulation and muscles/tendons/ligaments moving. I highly recommend putting on some upbeat music or relaxing music (whichever is better for your mood at that moment) and doing some gentle stretching. Music is my best therapy!!

I am an advocate/volunteer for CFIDS/M.E. and FM which does not, thankfully, make me think of my illnesses all of the time. I've already accepted the fact that they are "part" of me but NOT me. I find it very rewarding. Every little bit makes a difference. There are plenty of non-profits out there. I belong to the National CFIDS/M.E. Foundation, Inc. which consists only of volunteers: www.ncf-net.org, but you can volunteer for any cause.

I love reading though the incessant, 24/7 head pain has made it difficult (so pardon my typos). Nevertheless, I recently started reading a few pages a day.

Others suggested heading to the library (great idea - I do that and find books or take out movies which are free!), going out for a tea or coffee if the weather is agreeable. I like to people watch as I'm from NY. LOL No, I'm not a peeping tom, but I like to observe people's behaviour. haha

I keep a journal via writing and dictaphone depending upon how much strength I have.

I like games like Scrabble, Taboo, Cranium, chess, etc. which are fun and also good for exercising our brains. Maybe you could get a group of friends together once a week for game night?

I'm so sorry your husband left you. It seems that so many have been through the same terrible experience. He was toxic and didn't deserve you, but you've got us to help you through the days. I'm fortunate to have a wonderful family and group of friends, but I "lost" a few friends along the way as they couldn't "deal" with the "new" me. I guess they weren't really my friends than. Good riddens! lol

Make a list of things that interest you in order of priority and go from there. Eventually, you'll find a routine, but I do highly recommend trying the gentle stretching, walking (even if only for five to ten minutes in your area) and maybe yoga, pilates or getting a cup of tea outside the house first to start conditioning your body to build up some strength and mobility...

Keep us posted!!

Hugs,
    LB32 (Leeza)

p.s.
    I guess I wrote a bit of a soliloquy here! lol