What do you do to help you sleep?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hob, Sep 11, 2006.

1. hob

hob New Member

I have been struggling a lot with staying asleep lately. I was rx'd a muscle relaxer to help me sleep but now that doesn't do much other than make me feel drunk the next day. Any suggestions?
  2. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi hob, I take Klonopin (clonazepam).05mg nightly and it generally helps me sleep but sometimes I feel I need something to add to it.

The Klonopin makes me sleepy within about 1/2 hour but about 5/6 hours later I start waking up restless.

I use to take Ambien but stopped because it was very expensive.

Good Luck
    carolin

3. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Which muscle relaxer are you taking at bedtime? I take 8 mg of Zanaflex...it knocks me out. But I still wake up...not too often though. It doesn't make me feel drunk at all, even when I wake up in the middle of the night!

Have you tried Trazadone? I took that for years. It kept me sleeping the whole night. The only problem is is that it causes a 'hang-over' in the morning when you are getting used to it. It used to be an AD, but now it is used for sleeping in large doses.

You could also try a regular sleeping med such as Ambien or Lunesta. I have not tried them but maybe they would work.

You could also try CalMax...or just Magnesium and Calcium...it relaxes the muscles at night. It could help.

On I side note, I read a long time ago to make sure that you only lay in bed when you are going to bed or sleeping. Do not watch TV in bed, listen to music (unless you are using it to goto sleep) or anything else that is an activity because your brain is suppose to associate your bed with sleeping only. By doing activities in bed during the day, your brain wont train yourself to always associate your bed with sleeping.

Hope this helps.
    Hugs,
    Stephanie
  4. TerryS

TerryS Member

and they've been GREAT! I fall asleep within 1/2 hour at the most, sleep all through the night, and don't feel drugged when I wake up the next morning (provided I had the opportunity to get at least 8 hours of sleep, that is).

TerryS
  5. cczub

cczub New Member

I've been on Trazadone for close to a month now and it's been great. I sleep for 5 hours or so before waking up then can go back to sleep for another 3-4 hours. The problem is if I don't sleep for 9-10 hours I have trouble getting out of bed. It's the only thing that has worked for me.

I'm getting ALOT more sleep now but haven't seen any real results with my energy level.
  6. Cabbie

Cabbie New Member

It used to take me a couple hours to fall asleep, or I would wake up at 3:00 or 4:00 and take a couple hours to get back to sleep. Melatonin - 3 mg. taken 1/2 hr before bed puts me to sleep with 15-30 minutes, and I sleep for 8-9 hrs and don't feel hung over. You can buy it OTC at drug stores. I take it every night, but it took a few days for it to start working.

I tried Ambien but I only slept for 6 hrs on it. Dr. prescribed Ambien CR but my insurance requires prior authorization & a high co-pay so I didn't try it.

Cabbie