what do you do when you can't do anything?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mermaid, Aug 22, 2003.

1. mermaid

mermaid New Member

some days I have such cognitive (and physical) deficits that I simply cannot do anything. Any mental task is too much. My head feels "full" and oh, so foggy. The sound of the tv or even music is just too much. I can't read or talk on the phone, and just lying there reminds me of how bad I feel. Does anyone else have these mental exhaustion days, and what do you do when you have them?
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

That is the worst of the worst feelings. When I get there and we all do sometimes, I try reading, something light, just look through catalogs, prayer, or watch old movies. If possible I will sit outside and watch the birds/squirrels and take in nature.

I make sure I keep my mind occupied, even with the most elementary things. Bets the heck out of just letting my mind run on with my pain, fatigue, and just plain misery.

As for the talking on the phone when I feel like this, thats out of the question. Takes too much energy.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Shalom, Shirl

3. fonda

fonda New Member

I have those days...most every day. I have been forgetting everything.

I stay in bed most days and watch tv for hours then I get up and try to make it look like I have done something around here before my husband gets home!

I dont call my family anymore and hate to answer when they call (very little). I think they think I am crazy.

But, I know how you feel.

I have read about ritalin and related drugs helping with the mental alertness and have mentioned this to all my doctors. They just ignore it. My neurologist actually told me I would have to "hash it out" with my rheumy!

I am at my wits end today.

I dont mean to keep talking about myself....I just feel very alone today, and need someone to talk to.

I will say a prayer for you. Write back and let me know how the rest of your day goes.

Hugs,
    fonda
  4. Goodday

Goodday New Member

Mental exhaustion seems to be related to all over pain we don't realize we are experiencing. It isn't bad, just a dullness, that is the way it has been for me. My doctor gave me Alazolpam. I take 1/2 pill on those days and my energy returns and so does my positive thinking. I rarely take them now because I take 3.5 mg Naltrexone at night which has brought up my endorphins and has increased my energy throughout the day. Occasionally I get a bad day so that is when I use the Alozolpam. 30 pills has lasted for 6 months so you can see I don't use it often. Melatonin might help on those bad days, but they make me yawn. Trazodone used to help but I had to take a nap right after taking that and it made me dizzy....fun huh? Hope someone can give you a better answer. Goodday
  5. wle

wle New Member

lucky enough to have a pool, so on good weather days when I am out of it I laze in the pool. Otherwise I also like to read and flip through magazines. I get a lot of seed and plant catalogs and it is fun to look through them and mark flowers and plants that I want to try out. Takes very little thought but still keeps the mind busy. WLE
  6. achy

achy New Member

I feel like a wirthless sack of crap. Everybdoy elsae is doing this or that, going here or there and here i am.
    If one or anohter thing hurts but the brain works I can at least read or get on the ol confuser (puter). But when the brain and the body decides to crash at the same time I park my rump on the counch and turn on the boob tube. Thank God for Discovery channel, hgtv or food network (but that can get depressing..seeing all the neat stuff I'd like to try)
    I do watch some of the soaps too...mindless entertainment.

Fighing it doesn't pay...i just get angry wiht myself and then feel even worse.

Warm fuzzies
    Achy

7. Momskelleygirl

Momskelleygirl New Member

I LIKE TO DO LIKE SHIRL IF THE WEATHER IS NICE.
    OR SIT OR LAY AND PRAY OR MEDITATE.
    IF THAT DON'T WORK I HAVE SOMEONE BRING ME THE CAT LAAY DOWN, CUDDLE UP AND PET THE CAT WEATHER SHE LIKES IT OR NOT, SHE WILLSTAY FOR AWHILE THEN LEAVE. SOMETIMES I WILL JUST TAKE A CLONZAPEM AND LAY DOWN AND LET THE WORLD HAPPEN AND LET MY THOUGHTS GO WHERE THEY MAY.
  8. IngyW68

IngyW68 New Member

Hi Mermaid,

I definitely have those days... Often! I just give up and shut everything out and go lie down, face up, in bed and try to clear my mind.I try to remember some verses from the bible to help me relax like "Do not be anxious about anything...... I also keep a pencil and sticky notes by my bedside so if I remember something I am supposed to do later or call someone, etc. I can easily write it down. I have sticky notes everywhere:)

Try to hang in there. Our mental fog is just another "lucky" side effect of this DD. I have been watching the Teen tournament on Jeopardy this week which has made me feel much smarter since the questions are so much easier than normal!!!:):)

We all have to try and listen to our bodies when they are yelling at us to "Slow down and be quiet". I know for type A personalities like us, that is very hard but even 20 minutes of peace and quiet can help a lot.

I will be praying for you:0

Ingrid