What do you do when your back "goes out"?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kinsie, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

Since I was in my 20's I have had a problem with the muscles in my back tightening up so bad that it pulls me over to one side. The pain is awful. Sometimes I cannot get up from a chair or the sofa, and if I do, I'm almost bent double.

It's hard to work like this. The pain is bad enough,but the way it makes me look is so embarrassing.

Because this has happened to me so many times, and it's so severe, that I have developed scoliosis from it.

I immediately put on a "Therma Care" ( good and warm). I do stretching exercises too. Sometimes nothing will help.

I have had x rays, been to the chiropractor, the holistic medicine doctor, you name it, I've tried it.

Still every so many months I have a spell.

I got up fine this morning. Bent down to pick up a piece of paper from the floor, and I felt the lightening bolt in my back that always comes before a spell.

Muscle relaxers don't help either. Does anyone else have this problem? I'd like to know how you handle it.

Thanks, Kinsie
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Nowdays my back goes out more than I do.

About ten-12 years ago I was walking the dogs when I felt a pain in the small of the back. A pain like getting hit w/ a baseball bat. I fell down and couldn't get up. Couldn't even crawl back to the house. Some neighbors saw me and thoughtfully dragged me home.

This happened on the 4th of July. Went to Kaiser's ER where an ortho prescribed pain pills and had x rays taken. These did nothing for my back, of course.

The next day my chiropractor's office was open. One treatment and I was 90% better. Another treatment a few days later restored me.

Now I see the chiropractor once a month for maintenance. And if I feel any twinges or instability I get an extra adjustment.

It still goes out at times and I can't walk, but the bonecracker can always get it back in place in a visit or two.

If chiropractic doesn't work for you, I don't know what would help. Have you tried more than one D.C.?
  3. srobins

srobins New Member

I could have sworn I was reading about myself in your post! Since the age of 18, I have also had this problem and yes, it is very emabarrassing and almost impossible to walk. The kicker for me was my ex-husband would tell me and everyone else that I was faking! You know yourself there is no way that you can fake that!

I have the same problem - just bending down to pick something up, getting into my car, those little things will just throw my back out. I have tried everything as well and I have been through numerous tests. Sorry to say I have not found anything that has helped either.
  4. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I appreciate your replies.

I can't tell you how much money I've spent over the years trying to get to the bottom of this back problem. I'm sure you all have too.

Well, I guess I'll hobble on home now!!! (Hope nobody sees me)

Kinsie
  5. sop28

sop28 New Member

my back went out once when I was getting up off of the couch at my inlaw's. I ended up on the floor for hours, I couldn't move it was so bad. Chiro worked for me-- also heat, message, and once able-stretching. Also it is important to have good body mechanics. Maybe try seeing a physical therapist. They can help to teach the proper ways to move to prevent the problem.

hope this helps,
    Tammy
  6. sunnywey

sunnywey New Member

I have a wonderful physio-therapist that really does help me.
    I take a very hot bath + stretch afterwards - slowly - while still warm.
    Then I take amnitriptyline for a couple of nights, and that usually does the trick.

I don't take Amnitriptyline on a regular basis, cuz it makes me hold fluid + makes me crave sweets( weight gain), but when I get like you describe - it works.

Good luck!
  7. joanng

joanng New Member

My back has gone out a few times and you feel it coming....you feel that stab and then wham, you can't move. Last night I went to turn my head and all of a sudden, the stab and now I've can't turn my head, raise my arm, basically the right side of my upper body is killing me. I was icing it all night and day and it seemed to help in addition to percoset, advil, valium, lidoderm patches and then muscle relaxers AND I wear a pain patch! I called the dr and he can see me on Monday! great. I'll try heat since the ice isn't really working anymore. These things seem to need to run their course but it's very depressing. I was hoping he would see me today and shoot me up with cortisone but nah, he was too busy. I'm debating whether to go to the ER and get a shot there. good luck to you, wish I had something positive for you.