What do you eat when you're allergic to wheat?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shananegans, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I've recently (within the last 8 months or so) discovered that I'm allergic to wheat, rice and lord only knows what other grains out there... So I went shopping trying to find inexpensive items that don't contain these things and talk about impossible!!! Anyone else here allergic to grains? Such as wheat, oat, barely, rice? What do you eat? Oh yeah, and I'm a vegetarian so that really doesn't leave much left out there unless I'm totally missing something. Any suggestions would be wonderful and even if there is a website out there with grain free products, even gluten free products, I would appreciate the help sooo much.

Also, has anyone else been told that part of their fibro may be caused by their allergies and possibility of asthma? I'm also being tested for asthma soon because my allergist thinks I may have that as well... It's only Monday and already it's been a tough week!!! Any thoughts would be great. Thank you in advance.

Hugs,
    Shananegans
  2. RockiAZ

RockiAZ New Member

Hi Shananegans (cool tats by the way!)

Being allergic to wheat & dairy - seems like forever actually - I really have to watch what I eat and make most of my food. Believe it or not, there are a lot of things you can substiute. Bob's Red Mill & Arrowhead Mill both have a big variety of wheat/gluten free flours and mixes: Tapioca Flour, Potato Flour, Rice Flour (white & brown) Sorgum flour, many more.... Pecan bread, Millet bread...the list goes on. Check on line for wheat-free recipes and you will get SO many sites it's unreal. If you are not into cooking, there are also sites (like www.kinnikinnick.com) that have goodies from cookies to cakes to pizza dough! Again, a lot of sites to choose from.

I also get a lot of products through my local grocery store and Henry's Market, Sprouts, Trader Joe's and such.

Gosh! I could go on and on.... Hope this helps & Good Luck at your appointment!

Live, Laugh, Love,
    Rocki

P.S. Forgot! I'm sure you're probably finding out by now there are a lot of foods that have wheat/gluten in them that you wouldn't think would have. If I got paid for reading labels, I'd be rich! [This Message was Edited on 04/03/2006]
  3. Empower

Empower New Member

4. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Try browsing your local health food store. They should have wheat free bread, pasta, cake mix, cereal, crackers... pretty much anything you had with wheat, you can find without wheat at a health food store. They cater to people with sensitivities.

Let us know how it goes, Shananagans. Hope you find something really tasty. I remember a box of chocolate chunk cookies I got there once made with rice flour... okay, making myself hungry.
    ((((happy hunting)))) Love... Shannon
  5. museheather

museheather New Member

Hey. I thought I had celiac disease for a while and struggled to avoid gluten. I got lucky and found a wealth of information online. Here are some webpages that were useful for me:

http://www.celiac.com/index.html
    http://www.glutenfree.com/
    http://www.glutenfreemall.com/
    http://www.celiac.org/
    http://www.gluten.net/
    http://www.csaceliacs.org/dh_steps.php
    http://www.glutensolutions.com/info2.asp?pagename=/medical.htm
    http://donwiss.com/
    http://gflinks.com/

Also, my local health food stores had a lot of cookbooks with gluten free recipes. Bette Hagman's "Gluten Free Gourmet" series offers a little of everything.

Best of luck. What worked for me was switching to vegetables and fruits with grilled organic meats at first. I know it is harder as a vegetarian because so many meat substitutes have wheat and wheat derived bases. It can be done though!! Slowly adding things in as soon as I started to learn what I could eat helped me feel like I was resuming a slightly more normal diet.

There is actually so much more than it seems like! It is just painfully overwhelming at first! There are even portable guides you can get that will help you know what is safe at restaurants.

Hopefully it will help you feel better. I felt a world of difference when I switched my eating habits in this direction.

Hope this is helpful.

-heather
  6. angelkisses6

angelkisses6 New Member

Boy can first figuring all that out can drive you crazy! I was told about 4 years ago that i had celiac sprue,and although true there is a lot more out there now its still crazy,anyway i found out that ralphs and vons have some things now and iftheres a wild oats where you are they have a lot too,also the site i have found real helpful is celiac on line suporrt online,(sorry spelling is real bad) but iam sure you get it,take care and good luck i know you will get used to it,it just takes time and before you know it,eating that way and finding the food and such will be second nature to you,good luck,angelkisses
  7. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

Thank you all for the advice! and support. It is very frustrating especially since one of the substitues for wheat is RICE!!! And I just happen to be deathly allergic to rice. I am also being tested within the next week to see if I'm allergic to oats and barley. Luckily though, I can still eat nuts... I say luckily because I love my peanut butter! hahaha.

And especially thank you for the websites! I've been looking all over the place and it's so hard to sort out what is useful and what is junk. The only thing I've run across is that there is very little information on rice allergies so I may have to actually go to the library for that one... There are so many food products out there that sneak rice in!!! And I can't even touch the stuff... such a pain.

Anyone else out there allergic to rice? So far, I've found it's more common is asian countries than it is here... for obvious reasons I suppose, since they do consume more rice over there then we do here. Hopefully I will find a happy balance eventually and yes being vegetarian does make this much more difficult... I suppose I will probably have to start atleast eating fish and seafood again. I'm willing to atleast sacrifice that.

So it may turn out that I don't have IBS at all, that in fact it is my allergies that are causing all this stomach trouble instead of IBS... that I can only hope for! Allergens can be avoided as where IBS cannot, it can only be treated. I will indeed keep everyone posted on how that turns out.

Hugs,
    Shananegans
  8. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Sorry Shananagans. I don't eat the stuff either... unless I steal it from my brothers and it's in cookie form and I think I can get away with it just this once. ;)

Hmmmm... I don't know if you can get prepared breads made with these, but for flour, side-dish and porrige purposes, some alternatives are millet, teff and quinoa. There's a quinoa cookbook at my local library.

Is rye an option? It tastes fairly wheat-like, and makes a nice biscuit.
    How's it going?
    ((love)) Shannon
  9. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

I really love quinoa- pronounced KEEN-wah. Its a little gluten-free round grain with a curly little thing around each itty-bitty grain.

My husband likes it, too. You can make flour from it with a coffee grinder.

Tibbie
  10. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

rockiaz: In my recent hunt, I was quite amazed at what is available out there... Of course I have to cut any rice products out... Man, what a pain! I wish we could get paid for reading labels, I'd make millions too! And thank you for the compliment... tattoos are one of my loves.

Shannonsparkles: I always forget about checking the local health food store, I'm so used to being able to just go to a large chain, get what I need and get out... I guess that will all change now that the allergies are official. Luckily, since I've grown up a bit, I grown into getting a taste for Rye. Hated the stuff when I was younger but now I love it... speaking of which, I wonder if I can still eat pumperknickle? I would cry if I couldn't, I love that stuff. I usually read your posts and answers... You seem pretty knowledgeable about a plethera of topics!

museheather: Thank you again for the websites! They lead to a bunch of other good websites and hunting around for information. I never realized how tough people with allergies had it until I was there. I'm still unsure if I have celiac disease but I am glad to be more aware of it now! Funny how doctor's never seem to think of the things they should when problems arise.

angelkisses6: Thank you for the advice, I'm still trying to figure out what kind of health food stores we have around here. Of course the major chains are right in front of your eyes but they hide all the good stores.

tibbiecow: I will be looking for that grain, quinoa, anything that is multi-purpose is great!

wamps: I will keep an eye out for that cracker! I love crackers anyways... any kind. I'm sure it's around here somewhere. I do LOVE my veggies though! Any kind of veggie, cooked in any way... Yummy!!!

Hugs,
    Shananegans
  11. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

The only easy and inexpensive way to circumvent this would be to just eat fruits and vegetables. However you can probably find a health food store which has a good gluten free section and just read the labels--see what's out there that has no grains.

I'm allergic to wheat too plus food with mold content so I have an incredibly strict diet. Lots of desserts can be made without flour--using sugar and cornstarch. As a staple, I eat a lot of cornchips.