What do you sleep on? Do you like it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suze, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Suze

Suze New Member

I know mattresses are discussed here often, but it can't hurt to bring it up again. (Good that SOMETHING doesn't hurt!) :)

Many face my current dilemma: The nice, cushy bed surface that feels so good to our hips and shoulders is too soft to support our lower backs, particularly backs with chronic problems. Years ago I read about latex mattresses on this forum, and since then I have bought two. Both felt divine in the store, but once they were in my house for a couple of months they didn't provide enough back support.

The second one is going back to the store tomorrow. In its place I'll get a "cushion firm" coil spring mattress from Stearns & Foster. I don't really like this mattress, but after buying two that I loved and having to get rid of them, I think choosing one that I *don't* like is worth a shot.

But I'm sure I'll have to put something on top of it. That, too, is a difficult choice. My butt will sink into a topper that's too thick. My hips will hurt on one that's too thin.

What do you sleep on? How long have you had it? Are you comfortable?

Thanks!

Suze
  2. sandi24

sandi24 New Member

We bought a good posturepedic pillow topped mattress but it was not comfy for my back an hips. Every night when I lay down I experienced a lot of pain, it is as if every little bone in my back relaxes and has to conform to the flat bed.

I tossed and turned all night long.

I recently bought a 4 inch memory foam mattress topper and it is wonderful. The first night I lay down waiting for the usual pain to start but it never happened and hasn't ever since.

This topper supports my back and hips perfectly. ( they are my most painful areas and have been for years.) I also find I am no longer disturbed in the night and having to switch position like before.

I used to wake in agony and have to painfully move to a different position. - usual routine, back then side then tums then other side and so on through-out the night. But no more with this memory foam. I love it!
  3. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I second the motion. Memory foam toppers are the best! I use an adjustable bed (wonderful!) with a foam topper and I'm very well-supported & comfy. God bless, Anne Theresa
  4. Suze

Suze New Member

Because memory foam is temperature sensitive, I'm guessing you can't use a heated mattress pad with it...correct?

My bedroom is unheated, which I'm told would keep the memory foam like a brick. True?

Thanks, both of you.
  5. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

Precious sleep.. So important

I'm saving and saving and saving for a Select Comfort Sleep number bed..

You can change the setting to how your feeling every day..

I can't wait to get mine!

Sharon
  6. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

Precious sleep.. So important

I'm saving and saving and saving for a Select Comfort Sleep number bed..

You can change the setting to how your feeling every day..

I can't wait to get mine!

Sharon
  7. Suze

Suze New Member

I've been researching mattresses for a couple of years, and the feedback I've read on Select Comfort hasn't been very good. The consensus is that the older models worked well, but the newer ones have problems.

You might check the Epinions website for reviews. I know of a great message board for mattress discussions, but I guess I'm not supposed to post it here.
  8. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I have a memory foam topper on my bed, AND a heated mattress pad. The place I ordered the foam topper said it was no problem. Seems to be working fine so far!

Raz
  9. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Where can you get a 4 inch memory foam topper?

I have one now, called a "true sleeper," which I've had for YEARS.

I bought a Sealy bed set last year in August that has the memory topper right on the bed, but it sure wasn't as comfy when it was in my own house as it was in the store!

I replied to the post about the wrinkled sheets too.

So, do you guys & gals have problems with your sheets staying on your bed with the toppers?

I even use the elastic straps with the metal snappers on them (like suspenders)on my matress cover AND sheets!
  10. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

hey, thanks for the info, I will check it out..

They are so expensive and I loved it when I layed on one in the store.. but you never know..

Sharon
  11. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi:

I still love my cuddle ewe. I have had it now for about 4 years. Cannot tell you what a difference it has made in my sleep. They also offer a money back guarantee.

My sister also has a memory foam topper. You can look on overstock.com and find them for a LOT less than you can find them in the stores.

Good luck.

Ingrid
  12. sandi24

sandi24 New Member

I got mine in Walmart, it was $149. cdn. They say they sell out as soon as they get stocks in but I am sure if they haven't any in stock they will put one aside for you.

With regard to sheets, I have a very deep mattress and the 4 inch topper makes my bed high! I put a fitted sheet on my mattress and a separate on on my topper. It has a removable zippered cover also for washing.

Walmart also sell 2 inch toppers. The four inch however have duo memory foam for added stability and comfort.

Walmart also had 8 inch mattress toppers in stock they were $399 cdn but I would need a step ladder to get into bed! LOL

Body heat makes you sink right in, they mold to your body so my back and hips remain supported beautifully. ;)
  13. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Select Comfort Sleep Number Bed. Had it for six years. Love it. You can buy them with a divider in the middle for two different degrees of softness or without.

I'm a 35. ;>)

Marta
  14. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I've got the sleep number bed. Some days I need it really firm, some days softer.

I added the "Hotel Collection" feather bed from Pacific Feather after I slept on one at a Hilton hotel on a business trip.

You have to "fluff the bed" every few days, but it's very comfy. And I had to buy a set of extra deep sheets but worth it.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  15. G.I.Jane

G.I.Jane New Member

Cuddle Ewe quilts are wondrous things - they really changed my sleep. Later, when I got married, my husband & I bought a king sized mattress - it's a Spring Air European Comfort Flex Pillow Top (what a name!). It's fantastic - just as good as the Cuddle Ewe. The man who sold us the mattress made referrals to physicians for people with pain like FMS and this mattress was one of the ones recommended. As soon as I tried it in the store (I tried them all!), I knew why. FANTASTIC. It even has separate springs so you don't move the whole bed when you move and disturb your partner. zzzz ;) Jane
  16. Suze

Suze New Member

Thanks, everyone! I'd forgotten about the CuddleEwe...I'll have to check it out. My way-too-firm-for-my-hips bed arrives this morning...

17. DEBinGA

DEBinGA New Member

I am soooo desperately trying to find the right mattress! I had a Select Comfort bed (5000) for right at a year. It was "OK" at first but it was really hard to find the right level of comfort. I have a great offer on a king sized bed if anyone wants it! HA

I then purchased a Simmons Beautyrest and it has been a nightmare. My ribs hurt so bad on this bed. I've just ordered a memory foam topper from www.healthyfoundations.com and I'm praying that will be the answer! It is 3" in thickness.

I'm trying to decide if I should return the Simmons mattress. I'll update on how the 3" topper does for me!
  18. livin4him

livin4him New Member

I just purchased an electric adjustable bed, because I sleep better in a recliner position, so this bed will allow me to elevate my hips and head. It helps with my hip, lower back pain, GERD, etc.

Had a really hard time trying to find a mattress that was acceptable. I liked the tempurpedic feel - the no pressure feel - when I had it for the trial, but the heat was really bad. So, temp was not for me. Tried the "air feel" with an air mattress - no thank you.

Finally, found a restonic mattress - soma comfort, clima-cool, it's a new one they just came out with. It is like the temp with visco elastic, but it is covered in regular mattress material and has a different foam "pillow-top" in it. The mattress cover has clima cool in it to try and keep the heat down. It felt really good in the store - should be delivered on this Friday.

I wanted to stay away from coils and springs.

Good luck to you.