What do you sleep on to help shoulder pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suze, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Suze

Suze New Member

I first heard about latex mattresses on this board a few years ago. I recently bought one (a Body Rhythms Sky made by Englander for Raymour & Flanigan) and am happy with it. Around the same time, I changed my pillow from goose down to latex. I was surprised to find I loved it, but after two weeks I realized that because it was a rather flat pillow, it forced a lot of pressure (from my head and neck) onto my shoulder when I slept on my side.

By the time I realized what was happening, I had developed a lot of pain in my right shoulder (the side I sleep on). In addition, my attempts to paint the interior of my house have resulted in an FMS flare of pain the shoulders of both muscles.

I've been trying to sleep only on my back until things improve, but that's difficult. My latex mattress is fairly soft on top, but not squishy, as I need a certain amount of firmness to support my lower back. I've been thinking a mattress topper, either soft latex or memory foam, might be a good investment.

I'd be interested to hear comments on both. I know some of you have had good results with memory foam. Is a 2" or 3" topper thick enough to keep pressure off your shoulders (and hips)? The complaints I've read about memory foam say that it conforms to your body in such a way that it's hard to change position....it feels like a brick if the room is too cool because it needs heat to become soft....it sleeps way too hot in the summer.

Thanks for your help!

Suze

2. CatsKimber

CatsKimber New Member

I, personally, don't like my foam topper. I used to have an air mattress that did me really good, but it finally broke on me after several years. I miss it.
  3. jennypee

jennypee New Member

I think mine is 2 inches thick. I've never thought it felt brick-like, and I've never had an issue with it being too warm either. I usually keep my bedroom temp at 60 degrees year round, with piles of blankets.
  4. browneyelady48

browneyelady48 New Member

I have a pinched nerved in my left shoulder and if I dont sleep with my shoulder on something really soft at night, I wake up with alot of pain.

I had gotten a down mattress topper and it worked great but then became flaten.

So I use a really soft pillow to go under my shoulder and then another pillow on the top part of that pillow and on top of that head pillow I have a satan pillow filled with beads.

I know this sounds complicated but it works for me and I have it down pretty good. Good luck

Love Brenda
  5. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

and I love it.I have no trouble turning.I would think that if the temp in your house was of normal range,Those other problems wouldn't crop up.I've never had any problems with mine.I roll it up and take it wherever I go!
  6. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I wake up in pain all the time cause I don't like sleeping on my back.I cry out often when I wake up cause the pain is so bad.Dr. said surgery is the only thing that would fix it.I do want to get a better mattress.Mine feels so hard to me especially now that I have FM.I was looking into getting an egg crate mattress.A very thick one.Has anyone had any sucess with that type of mattress.
  7. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I use Buckwheat Hull pillows and you can arrange them under your head and they stay that way until you move them. That eliminates all the shoulder pain,at lest for me.Try one and see if it helps you. My husband and I use Buckwheat hull pillows and would'nt trade them.You can get them on the net or at Crackerbarrel (Small ones).
    Shirley
  8. CatsKimber

CatsKimber New Member

I LOVE my buckwheat hull pillow - i used to get a "crick" in my neck all the time, now i don't. it's WONDERFUL
  9. Suze

Suze New Member

I have a good buckwheat pillow--a couple of them, actually. I bought them from a Canadian website some time ago after hearing raves for buckwheat on this forum. I was never able to get used to mine, but perhaps I'll try again. My neck really liked being lower (with the latex pillow), but my shoulder definitely did not.

Sheila, I suggest you try a latex mattress. A lot of people love the "kits" you can order online to your specifications. I learned a lot at a forum that discusses the best mattresses. I'd give the name, but I don't remember if we're allowed to refer to specific sites on this forum...?

Brenda, I really, really hope you have a *satin* pillow, and not a satan pillow. :)

Suze
  10. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

and I like it, but it doesn't take my pain away. I have a heated electric mattress pad on top of that, to keep my body warm. I have never found it to be to hot. I also have started sleeping with a chiroflow water pillow. I really like it. it isn't anything difficult to get used too. Oh, and I have no trouble turning on my memory foam topper. Hope that helps.
    Blessings,
    Raz
  11. JLH

JLH New Member

First of all, what do you mean by a "latex" mattress? and a latex pillow?

I have always had great shoulder pain. I have one of those waffle-like mattress toppers. It helps some.

I take Zanaflex, a muscle relaxer, before bed. It helps.

I still toss and turn all night to get to a position that does not hurt. I start out on my back, rotate shoulders, and end up on my stomach. Then the rotation starts again!

I use a heating pad before I go to bed. I sit with it while I am watching TV.

I've never really found much that helps. Except, the Cymbalta and Neurotin have helped my over pain quite a bit.

Take care,
    Janet
  12. Suze

Suze New Member

Janet, a latex mattress is made of latex rubber, either Talalay (a process in which the natural latex is combined with a synthetic) or 100% natural latex as it comes from the tree. Dunlop latex is also available, but it is harder and less desirable.

Latex mattresses have no springs, so pressure points are eliminated. They are very heavy--my last one was 110 lbs. They come in various degrees of firmness, and have softer comfort layers on top. It's important to get a mattress that isn't topped with layers of polyurethane foam, as this foam tends to break down easily, causing body impressions and hammocking that won't happen with latex.

Hope this answers your question. BTW, when it comes time to replace your egg-crate topper, you might check out the Simmons foam topper at Walmart. It's not convoluted like the others; instead, it's scored into squares. I love mine, and I've heard raves from others as well. They cost around $25-30, depending on the size.

Suze
  13. Suzan

Suzan New Member

For side sleeping it helps a lot! I also will use two pillows, I had to experiment to get two just the right height..but I did find them, one is my contoured memory foam that I use on the top, the other is a medium fiberfill bed pillow. That seems to keep my head/neck/shoulders lined up well. But I hate sleeping in a bed without my topper!
  14. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I can't lay on either shoulder so I sleep on my back. After much trial and error, I found the best bed for me is the adjustable kind with a remote to raise/lower my head and feet.

I use five pillows: one for under my neck, one for each forearm and two for under my knees. I've recently added the 2" memory foam mattress topper to the mix and I just love it!

The best thing about the adjustable bed is I can change positions frequently throughout the night. Whenever I wake in pain, a slight adjustment to the bed is usually all I need to feel better and get back to sleep.

I hope your flare eases up soon.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  15. JLH

JLH New Member

Thanks for the info on the Simmons foam topper. I have never replaced my egg crate topper and it's time to -- my children are always asking for ideas for Christmas gifts for me -- I'll have to put this on my list!!!!

Thanks again,
    Janet
  16. Suze

Suze New Member

You're very welcome. In fact, I just bought one for my son for Christmas! :)