What do you sleep on??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by eli1210, Mar 1, 2003.

1. eli1210

eli1210 New Member

Help! I can't find a comfortable bed. I tried a waterbed, the sofa, a featherbed, and a $20 foam matress. I find that bed is always too hard and too COLD. It reminds me how my bed felt when I was a child and had the flu. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  2. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

Can set the temp I need,it allows me to take pain off of pressure points. I have a old fashioned full bladder. Set the firmness and is a comfort zone. Next is my recliner.
  3. poppy34

poppy34 New Member

hi i have slepted in a recliner for 2years, ive tried all kinds of beds . my recliner cradles my back . i have sever muscle spams. you cant touch my back itsvery painful.my dr. saidits normal for it to be tender. ive had a swelled knee for 2 weeks . im havent a bad month . bye poppy
  4. healing

healing New Member

a Select Comfort air mattress. It is wonderful, but expensive. Nevertheless, I have never, ever regretted buying it because it has helped me sleep so much better, and it has really cut down on my morning stiffness. Also, my husband I share a king-sized bed that actually consists of two mattresses so my occasional tossing and turning doesn't disturb him.
  5. Dayle

Dayle New Member

is the best I have ever tried & I have tried every thing. It's on top of an excellent foam mattress. You can buy this product thru the internet. Good Luck, D
  6. teach6

teach6 New Member

I have a good bed with a heated mattress pad and I love it. It's always toasty warm and helps me sleep better. Before I had it I used a foam egg crate topper and it helped some. I removed it when I got the heated mattress pad because I wasn't sure if it would be harmful to use them together.

Barbara
  7. Genie42

Genie42 New Member

I agree regarding the Select Comfort Air Mattresses, they are well worth what you will pay for it. I don't sleep much but when I do this mattress got me out of the recliner and back into bed. I might get 3 to 4 hours sleep total in 24 hours so when I do get to sleep I want to be comfortable and you can purchase a heated cover for the mattress too!
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Eli, here is my invention for a bed; a extra firm posture pedic, with a feather bed on top, then a wireless mattress heating pad on top of the feather bed.

Like Barbara said, it keeps you warm and toasty and helps with the pain and the morning stiffness.

I also have a down conforter, that works great too, warm, but not heavy, very gentle on the body.

I keep a small pillow between my knees to help keep my back aligned too.

The firm mattress supports the back, the feather bed makes it soft, and the heated mattress pad keeps it just perfect.

The above along with my low dose Xanax, ZMA and Melatonin gives me a wonderful deep, confortable nights sleep.

(Oh yes, I do need to give my Pit Bull some credit, he will keep my back warm too as I sleep on my side, he would be offended if I did not mention him, very sensitive pup!).

Shalom, Shirl

9. pearls

pearls New Member

The summer after I came down with fibromyalgia, but had not yet been diagnosed, I reluctantly went camping with my family, though I was scared to do so. I was right to be scared because a camping trip doesn't go well with this DD, but had accidentally brought two down-filled sleeping bags. It was hard to get up from the bed I made from those two bags plus my air mattress, but I have to say I discovered something that summer:

If you can get a bed with: 1) a firm underpinning for your spine, and 2) something soft to rise up around your body and cuddle you , you'll really improve how you feel at night. That's what I had created by sleeping IN one of the bags, but ON both the air mattress AND the other sleeping bag. It was much more comfortable for me while camping than it had been at home!

Anyway, pending the purchase of a good, new mattress, I've taken a few interim steps: I use one of those expensive, memory-type foam pillows and just love it. I never have to fiddle with it or fold it double. I also use another pillow between my knees to keep my spine aligned. I have a nice, thick comforter on top, and a featherbed as well as a waffle-type foam mattress topper underneath. I need a good mattress, though.

My preference is a Tempur-pedic mattress, but it is expensive. It is made from a material developed by NASA for the space program. I think the pillow I mentioned before is made fo that kind of material, but I'm not sure. Until I can get that bed, I really wish I had a Cuddle-Ewe mattress topper. It is supposed to cuddle you the way I already mentioned above that my two sleeping bags worked, and keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. If you have problems with excessive persperation, it is supposed to take care of that, too. It is made out of wool, which has good wicking properties. But it is expensive, too, though far less than a Tempur-pedic mattress.

I wonder if the other memory-type foam mattresses and mattress toppers work the same as the Tempor-pedic mattresses?

-Pearl
  10. pearls

pearls New Member

Your aren't allowed give us the website address on this message board, but if you give us the name of the mattress and/or company, we could use a search engine to look it up. Or was what you surrounded with quotation marks the name of the mattress? I would be interested, because a Tempur-pedic mattress costs several thousand dollars!

-Pearl
  11. pearls

pearls New Member

Here I am again (I'm passionate about this subject!).

In her very interesting and highly recommended book, "The Fibromyalgia Advocate," Dr. Devin J. Starlanyl says that each person with fibromyalgia has very personal needs when it comes to beds. What fits one does not necessarily fit another. She says while some need a firm mattress, a bedboard, or a futon, others of us need a soft bed and may find even an air mattress or waterbed too hard. (I think I fall into the latter category because I want the "bed material" to rise up around my body and cuddle me."

She also talks about the need for us to find the right pillow, which may not be the kind I described in my message before. She says some of us need a small, soft pillow, and some need a water pillow (do they actually have those?!)

The next part was somewhat discouraging: she says often when we find a bed and pillow that works for us, our bodies change and we have to start the search again! Ohmygosh! Has this happened with any of you?? Perhaps we all need to stay away from very expensive, permanent decisions in this area.

Always looking for a good night's sleep,
    -Pearl

12. Tattoopixie

Tattoopixie New Member

Hi Eli,
    I used to have a good friend w/your name...anyway- I sleep on an foam egg crate type matress cover & a 'double filled' matress pad on top of that (Sealy? Think I got it at JC Penny's), then I use a heated blanket. What I do on bad pain days/nights is turn on the heated blanket before I get ready for bed, by the time I climb into bed it is nice & warm. Some nights I sleep on top of the electric blanket.I live in AZ so it depends on how warm the weather is. Welcome to the board!
    ***Pixie***
  13. pearls

pearls New Member

Bump. Looking for a good night's sleep. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

-pearl

[ advertisement ]